Bye Bye Norton "Gauge Remover"!

Thread: Bye Bye Norton "Gauge Remover"!

Bye Bye Norton "Gauge Remover"!

Pardon me while I quote Rolf from Ed Edd n Eddy: "AWAY WITH YOU, PROTUBERANCE OF THE FLESH!"
    I have officially ditched Norton Security in favor of Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Unchecky.

Cool

Norton couldn't catch a cold. Lol

been running the free trial Malwarebytes over the past week, pretty impressed so far

I've run Norton Internet Securities for the last 10 years on my 10 year old HP 8700, never had an issue like that. Something else must be wrong...

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Heck, I've been using Norton security and utilities since they came out for DOS 3.1.
    I figure, Peter Norton invented this stuff, he's probably pretty good at it.

Just as a side note, they featured his house in a magazine article, once. All wood paneling. SOLID wood, not the cheap, thin veneer type. Planks. All hand rubbed once a week with beeswax. Just beautiful.
    Totally meaningless in this context, just thought I'd throw it in there

Even stuff people don't associate with Norton is his, originally. When Windoze wanted to use (read steal) his defrag (SpeedDisk) without paying him for it, they found out he'd left a bomb in it. Wouldn't work until they payed.
    That just put the nail in it for me. I've been a Norton guy since it first came out, and I'll stick with it.

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I've used Norton AV (not even the full suite, just AV) forever, which for me on line means back to 1999 or 2000, and I've never had a virus or other malware. I know nothing has slipped by undetected because my techie friend has done security sweeps on my rigs whenever any repair work was needed, with some very sophisticated tools, and always came up clean.

It has on occasion quarantines gauges, sometimes quite a few, though never anywhere near all of them, and I had to restore them one at a time, but in around eighteen years that's only happened two or three times, and not for quite a while.

It also sometimes warns me that brand newly released aircraft or scenery downloads are suspicious because they have few users, but that's OK, it just lets me know that Norton is paying attention.

Very interesting about Peter Norton! Interesting tidbit about M$ too, somehow not surprising.

Myself i use AVG Internet Security with Malwarebytes, and i have not had a problem since i have started using this combination....
    "Thats some of the best flying I have ever seen, upto the point that your dead, Never ever leave your wingman!"......Jester, Top Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I've used Norton AV (not even the full suite, just AV) forever, which for me on line means back to 1999 or 2000, and I've never had a virus or other malware. I know nothing has slipped by undetected because my techie friend has done security sweeps on my rigs whenever any repair work was needed, with some very sophisticated tools, and always came up clean.

It has on occasion quarantines gauges, sometimes quite a few, though never anywhere near all of them, and I had to restore them one at a time, but in around eighteen years that's only happened two or three times, and not for quite a while.

It also sometimes warns me that brand newly released aircraft or scenery downloads are suspicious because they have few users, but that's OK, it just lets me know that Norton is paying attention.

Very interesting about Peter Norton! Interesting tidbit about M$ too, somehow not surprising.
    It has been my experience that every version of Norton i have tried has become almost as annoying as a virus. It want's to take control over everything in your system. NOPE, that doesn't work for me at all...I am a control freak and damn it...I WILL CONTROL MY OWN COMPUTER!!!
    "Thats some of the best flying I have ever seen, upto the point that your dead, Never ever leave your wingman!"......Jester, Top Gun

which for me on line means back to 1999 or 2000
    It was back in 90, or 91 when I started. I've slept since then, so I don't recall exactly...
    Back in those days, on-line meant access to a really nice, fast, 2400 baud modem, and a relatively noise-free phone line. Mainly, we used it to send data to headquarters to keep track of our balloon's flight time, down times, reasons, personnel usage, etc, etc. But, if we didn't over do it, I would access some of the local BBS's during downtimes. When we were upgraded to a 3600 baud, we were in heaven

It has been my experience that every version of Norton i have tried has become almost as annoying as a virus. It want's to take control over everything in your system. NOPE, that doesn't work for me at all...I am a control freak and damn it...I WILL CONTROL MY OWN COMPUTER!!!
    I've never had any part of Norton try to take control of anything other than it's scan schedules. I set those up to my own preferences...

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy1968 View Post
    My sentiments exactly... not only that but when the paid for subscription expires Norton's constant intrusions to have you resubscribe qualify it as Malware in its own right.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    My sentiments exactly... not only that but when the paid for subscription expires Norton's constant intrusions to have you resubscribe qualify it as Malware in its own right.
    You can turn off those annoying notices easily in the settings, and if you don't know how or can't remember, a quick inquiry to their customer support will get it done for you.

Used Norton since day one, Windows 95 OSR2, never had any issues at all with the whole suite. I only stopped using it in the past few years as my telephone/broadband/TV package includes a free multi AV suite from F-secure. Never had an issue with this either. No-brainer, it's free.

My only gripe with Nortoin was years ago I got a special offer when renewing my subscription for a their PC maintenance program (forget it's name) that completely fubared my machine, needed to format and re-install windows, never re-installed that though!!

Jamie.

The only time I had Norton mess up a HD tot he point I had to re-format it was in DOS 3.2. They had just made DOS capable of handling a HD larger than 10 MB (yes, MEGA byte, not GB...). Norton took a couple weeks to catch up, and if you ran Check Disk on a drive larger than 10 MB it would flag everything above the 10 M line as bad sectors. But heck, Xtree would do the same thing. I just set all our brand new, 20MB HD's as 2 10 MB logical drives, and that solved it. Norton would read them both no trouble.

Good gravy, that's some ancient history!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0