Analysing and modifying the AFX file with QBasic.

Thread: Analysing and modifying the AFX file with QBasic.

Threaded View

Hello Ivan,
    Arenīt there three propellers that came out of your department? There was a wooden fixed-pitch propeller,
    I believe based on your Eindecker one, which I was whittling away at and sanding off with technical support
    from your workshop.

Then, in my propeller department, there were two adaptations of the 2-pitch-position FW200 propeller, one
    for the Stearman and one for the Electra.

This one is my first try at a CV propeller, with technical support from your department of course.
    Iīm sure that without your comments along the line, I would not have managed by any means. I admit I did not
    understand everything you said, and I have arrived at some results following a slightly different path, but
    everything does tie in with all you were saying.

Although level flight performance is perfect at Critical Altitude and acceptable at 500 ft, the propeller is not
    by any means finished yet. The sustained climb test is still outstanding. I think Iīll do it with 50% fuel and full
    ammo ( as it is lighter without the wing guns).

The other thing is trying to get the 316 mph down to 314. Here, there is a side-effect, (understandably):
    The more I manage to lower this, the slower the speed progresses from 290 to 314 mph, upto a "danger point"
    where it stops accellerating before getting there.

Interesting too, I thought, and resulting from overcoming the interpolation "wall" between 290 and 314 mph,
    was that this
    required performance improvements also on the 30 deg. pitch graphs, but thinking about it,
    it seems logical I suppose.

Another strange thing is the rather low 1083 Hp setting at S.L. that the sim seems to stubbornly be demanding
    for its 44.2 Hg Military Power. Iīd be much happier with at least 1100 hp (the take-off limitation I read on one
    source, seemingly for later models, although that wasnīt clear), and preferably 1150, which is in the specs.

It also comes along with a side-effect: Full 1551 Hp WEP canīt be set with 60 Hg, because power goes wild,
    and WEP
    must be kept to 57.35 Hg. For the moment, adjustments on these two items donīt seem possible.

Nevertheless, the differences lie within acceptable limits, and performance is behaving itself rather well, Iīd say.

Incidentally, another improvement along the way: WEP at S.L., or rather 500 ft, is now giving a more logical
    speed: 134.5 mph, not the excessive 158 mph I was getting before!

OK then, now for the sustained climb test!

Update:
    And here is the sustained climb test, without any additional adjustments as yet:
    I had to slew down to 1000 ft and let it travel to beyond 2500 ft several times, but finally, after the porpoising
    settled down (under Learjet Autopilot), at 2500 ft, it appears to be able to maintain 2700 fpm at 180 mph,
    with 1103 Hp and 23 degree. Pitch. Pitch and Hp are a bit lower than you had indicated, but seem OK to me.

The question is whether this would be OK with your understanding too... I wonder!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; August 3rd, 2018 at 05:25.
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Members who have read this thread: 1