Lockheed Vega-5 for FSX and P3D released.

Thread: Lockheed Vega-5 for FSX and P3D released.

Lockheed Vega-5 for FSX and P3D released.

Vitus tour de force is now released as early access:

www.wing42.com
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vega 2.jpg  
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Fantastic! I love the work that's gone into the vc - I'm still exploring all the various animations. Beautifully done.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Would Vitus tell us which exact Vega model this is? Vega 5 I understand, but is it A, B, or C? I'm noting differences in the engine cowl design and tail height compared to web searches. The VC is beautifully rendered and the physics of the instruments are fascinating to watch. The modeling is a work of art and the attention to systems operation and procedures is well documented in the videos. Would love to see a float model in the future and a prop spinner on/off option.

-d

The Add-on currently comes in just one variation: The Vega 5C, equipped with a Pratt & Whitney R-1340 SC1 and with the airliner configuration (six passenger seats). The Vega changed quite a bit from Version to version. The fuselage got a bit longer between the Vega 1 to Vega 5 (possible because they switched from the Whirlwind J5 to the R-1340). Another HUGE change was the implementation of the NACA cowling, which became a a pretty common retrofit modification for almost all Vegas and standard for all new ones. Between versions 5A/B and the here presented 5C, the most noticeable difference is that the vertical stabilizer got bigger and the tailskid was replaced by a wheel. But as you pointed out, when you look for pictures of the Vega, you'll find an incredible difference in variations of that aircraft! That goes for both: the exterior as well as the interior.

I want to include more variations in the future. The first priority for me would be one of the long-range airplanes, like Wiley Post's Winnie Mae. I'd love to do the 5B too, or include the executive interior (complete with typewriter ), but those I can't in good conscious promise. If there's enough of an interest I will, but otherwise these two variations have to do it.

The float plane would be awesome as well, but I'm not really familiar with the sim's physics on the water, so I have to say no to that one for now.

I hope that answers your questions

Cheers,
    Vitus

Unfortunately I have some issues with my FsX so it will be a while until I load it.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

To anyone who bought the aircraft already: I am veeeeery curious how your first landings went! Please let me know what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitus View Post
    To anyone who bought the aircraft already: I am veeeeery curious how your first landings went! Please let me know what you think!
    Ugly. My first takeoff was just as bad.

My second and additional flights were much better once I zeroed in on the correct stall speed and didn't over-power. Adding some weight with passengers and cargo helped.

Overall, lots of fun..

PS - I'm not comfortable taking off and landing without a radio, but hopefully that can be added sometime down the road.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Thanks Vitus for getting my order straightened out, got the Vega installed, but haven't had time to try it out yet. Really looking forward to it when i can!!
    )

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Ugly. My first takeoff was just as bad.

My second and additional flights were much better once I zeroed in on the correct stall speed and didn't over-power. Adding some weight with passengers and cargo helped.

Overall, lots of fun..

PS - I'm not comfortable taking off and landing without a radio, but hopefully that can be added sometime down the road.
    hahahahaha I wonder if there will be someone out there who's able to nail the landing first time. Even though she is pretty slow on approach, the Vega is quite a handful to fly.
    Check my forum for a reply on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Thanks Vitus for getting my order straightened out, got the Vega installed, but haven't had time to try it out yet. Really looking forward to it when i can!!
    I thought it's a brilliant business model to ask for money for no product. But my lawyer advised me against it.

Seriously though, I'm really sorry that it was such a painful process. Can't wait to hear back from you after your first flight!

I thought it's a brilliant business model to ask for money for no product. But my lawyer advised me against it.

Seriously though, I'm really sorry that it was such a painful process. Can't wait to hear back from you after your first flight![/QUOTE]

You have a smart lawyer Vitus,lol Thanks again for your help!!

Crash and burn. I could not get the airspeed down on approach and forced a stall and a bounce, then flip. The take away was to start slowing down and dropping altitude many miles out on final.
    -d

I just took it for a quick spin, i read the instructions about landing speeds in the check lists but my first landing I came in too low and could not get her to come back up before hitting the hill before (and below) the runway. Second landing I came in higher, had a hard time slowing down to 60 but managed to do so before I ran out of runway and landed safely.

One observations, I installed it into P3D4 and while I am glad it installed into an external add-on folder, instead of creating its own it added itself to a random add-on folder and I had a very difficult time finding it. Could you please update this to create its own folder., maybe ask where it should be placed during the install.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Brilliant!

This plane is brilliant!

I bought it last night, and just installed and took her for her first flight this afternoon.

I'm not sure if the Vega is synonymous with Southern California IRL, but I had the idea that L70 would be perfect for my first flight, and apart from the narrow runway, I was right. The Vega seems to fit right in to these skies.

First of all, all the detail in the cockpit, and the animations are unbelievable. I think I may have blown a fuse somehow trying to start it without reading the manual, so I then read the manual and went through the start procedure. I love the attention to detail!

The takeoff was a bit wobbly, and I struggled to keep it on the runway, but once in the air it was really smooth, easy to fly, and just a lot of fun. The engine sounds are also magnificent.

Landing was probably a bit more successful than my takeoff. I was a bit off line on short final, and had a lot of corrections to make, but I touched down on the runway and ended up in the middle, with just one little bounce, although I'm not sure if I was on the runway for the entire rollout.

Great job with this plane, it is a winner already.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Thank you all for your feedback! I love reading your stories, can't get enough of that.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    One observations, I installed it into P3D4 and while I am glad it installed into an external add-on folder, instead of creating its own it added itself to a random add-on folder and I had a very difficult time finding it. Could you please update this to create its own folder., maybe ask where it should be placed during the install.
    Check out the Installation Manual, I took great care explaining where which files are being installed to what folder. The folder is not random, it is the default location for aircraft in the sim. My thinking was that I wanted the installer to be as simple as possible. I figured that those people who change the location of the aircraft folder will figure out how to shift the Vega folder around if needed. But you are certainly right, it would be good to have the option. But like everything else: it's a matter of resources. I could spend a day or two customizing the installer, ooooor I could spend that time working on new features and hunting down bugs

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    I'm not sure if the Vega is synonymous with Southern California IRL, but I had the idea that L70 would be perfect for my first flight, and apart from the narrow runway, I was right. The Vega seems to fit right in to these skies.
    Funny, I take loads of flights out of that airstrip as well. The short and narrow runway is an incredible challenge! Hollywood is a short hop, I love buzzing the sign with the Vega

Funny, I take loads of flights out of that airstrip as well. The short and narrow runway is an incredible challenge! Hollywood is a short hop, I love buzzing the sign with the Vega

Cool! I did some research after my first flight and apparently the first Vega was built just down the road in the Lockheed factory at Burbank. So I guess the Vega does fit in those skies .
    Last edited by scotth6; June 11th, 2018 at 06:20.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Check out the Installation Manual, I took great care explaining where which files are being installed to what folder. The folder is not random, it is the default location for aircraft in the sim. My thinking was that I wanted the installer to be as simple as possible. I figured that those people who change the location of the aircraft folder will figure out how to shift the Vega folder around if needed. But you are certainly right, it would be good to have the option. But like everything else: it's a matter of resources. I could spend a day or two customizing the installer, ooooor I could spend that time working on new features and hunting down bugs
    I went and rechecked the install last night, I see that the install doc is a separate download and after reading it there was nothing there that would have helped me predict where it was going to install it. The last thing I installed was the milviz 310R which installed into the P3D main folder. There have been times I have installed packages into an add-on folder. The folder your installer chose was one I had installed some Flight Replica aircraft into, I suspect there is a different variable you can use to get the path to the p3d main folder.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

No installation problems into P3D4.2 at all.
    Actually felt comfortable enough to fly, it is a vintage aircraft and should be handled as such. Bounced her a few times at first but smoothed out after a few more landings. Differential braking seems to be best way to straight line a landing.
    Really looking forward to the final polished item, I keep the default FS9 Vega in my GW3 sim as it was one of the better default aircraft and I just like it.
    A few images in P3D4.2.
    I might heat up a few drops of Castrol R with dash of Oil for some in flight extra atmosphere......

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

And in flight of course.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Wow, those are some beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing!

Hey guys!

I've got some great news. FSFX is currently working on the special effects for the Vega. Their package will be included, free of charge, in our next update!

More here.

That is really cool!

I already really liked the look of the landing light beam. It really jumps out at you.

Cheers,

I can tell you that it looks so much better now though. Keven really knows what he's doing

Today, I fixed a maaajor but that was pointed out by HvyEng.

The logo is now pointing in the right direction on the Jimmy Mattern livery.

Members who have read this thread: 0