Consolidated PBY-6A fire fighter/water bomber uploaded
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated PBY-6A fire fighter/water bomber uploaded

Consolidated PBY-6A fire fighter/water bomber uploaded

Hi Folks,
    Just uploaded the civilian fire fighter PBY6A, with two texs, Mick's and Papi's, a great panel and ops manual by Papi, and some Californian fire scenery to get your hand in, practising fighting fires.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=201&id=23687

Cheers

Shessi

p.s. Admin, started a new post as old one was so loooooong.

Icon22 Reply...

Mark,

Every time I see a "civilian" Catalina, this always comes to mind...

"Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Heart attack time....

Anthin.

Members +
    Shessie,
    What can I say, but many thanks.

Regards,
    Robin

Outstanding work chaps!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Bravo! Outstanding!

It's been a frantic few days so I just now got a chance to check out the new release. I love it!

Mark, did you enhance my Tanker 115 skin? It seems to look better that I remember from when I painted it.

Papi, your Tanker 84 skin looks great!

If I may pick one little nit... The water drop effects look red like borate slurry, not white like water. The Catalina was a water bomber that filled its tanks with water while skimming lake surfaces, like in that famous opening scene in "Always," not from borate trucks at the airport. I would be very surprised if any Catalina tankers had tanks built or treated to resist the corrosive effects of slurry. (But maybe someone can surprise me with a photo of a Catalina dropping red slurry.) A switch to a water drop effect in the aircraft.cfg file would be simple and quick. Anyone who's interested in fire bombers must have a water drop effect in their Effects folder.

Despite that tiny little nit, I am very happy with this plane!

Kudos to Shessi and Papi !!!

PBY-6A Water Bomber

Hi Mick,

when I did choose the drop effects I based myself on documents of the french Protection Civile
    They used PBY-5A and later also 6A with modifications partially by their own.
    When the planes where on standby on their base they where filled from a land pump station.
    The tried to use at the last times borate but had as you mentionned it problems with corrosion effects.
    So on alert the started filled from land base and than on further drop tours than they scoped from sea
    The frenchies hoped that starting with a water borate mixture (it was not exactly borate but some thing similar)
    they could drop at a first moment and quickly a retardant and than when scoping and droping fresh water this will at the same time wash out the tanks - Experiance showed that things did not be as well.
    Allright
    I will look to find some other effect that will be water only.
    As soon as I come back this evening from work I will sit on my desk and work on it to find pure water drop effect
    Yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Just uploaded the civilian fire fighter PBY6A, with two texs, Mick's and Papi's, a great panel and ops manual by Papi, and some Californian fire scenery to get your hand in, practising fighting fires.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=201&id=23687

Cheers

Shessi

p.s. Admin, started a new post as old one was so loooooong.
    Nice.... and painted in go fast red too...

Cheerz mav

Consolidated PBY-6A fire fighter waterdrop fix

Hallo Friends,

as Mick remarked that he thinks that the water drop effect with "pure" water will be
    more realistic for the Catalina I posted a fix.
    Now you will have "pure" white water to drop if you want to change it.
    More textures as for Fire Eater, Hemet Valley Red 54 and some little others for the model with side blisters
    are in preparation.
    Yours
    Michael "Papi" Vader

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    Hi Mick,
    when I did choose the drop effects I based myself on documents of the french Protection Civile
    They used PBY-5A and later also 6A with modifications partially by their own...
    Papi
    I was wondering about that. I knew that water bombers scooped from lakes, and I wondered if they had another way to fill their tanks so they could load up at the airport for the first drop of the day. Clearly the French planes had a way, but I wonder if that was one of their own mods, so I still wonder if US and Canadian planes had that ability.

I also wonder if I've used the terminology correctly. I'm not sure if borate and slurry are the same thing, or if maybe slurry is borate mixed with water. Maybe someone who knows more about fire bombing can answer these questions.

water dropping

Hi Mick,

as soon I find a bit time I will return to my french sources and search for more precise explanations.
    Would be hard than to translate and errors might be possible.
    As I said before a pure water drop fix will be on the downloads, I posted it this night.
    In fs fire fighting is §$%&# job! as soon as you are close to the fire you see nothing and you must make a blind drop.
    on the screenie you will see what I did hmmmm needs realy some more experiance LOL
    Yours
    Papi

Papi,

I didn't mean to send you on a research mission! My questions were just idle curiosity. Please don't put a lot of time into it!

I would think that anyone who has a fire bomber or two in their hangar must have a water drop effect that they could put into their aircraft.cfg file in place of the red borate slurry. What about the effect "fx_waterbomber" thta's already in the package and the aircraft.cfg file? I haven't had time to check it out, but isn't that white?

I haven't had a chance to fly the water bomber, but I wonder... Could it be that effect named "fx_firemask" that's causing the fire to disappear too soon? My guess, based on the file name, is that this effect is supposed to suppress the fire when you drop on it, but maybe it's kicking in too soon, when you get close but before you drop???

waterdrop effect

Hi Mick,
    LOL don' t worry about "research mission"
    Shessi had put a lot of work in the Cats so I believe that my little
    contribuation should be as accurate as possible.
    I looked on other fire fighters/bombers, most use the borate slurry.
    Perhaps because it looks nice LOL
    I tried out the california fire scenery. To extinguish just one fire I had
    to make two or three attacks until all is covered,
    I must say that I did fly my attacks at 200 to 300 feet over ground as same as the pilots from
    Securite Civile does with their Canadairs.
    I would like to read what other pilots think about.
    Perhaps we have real experts amoung us?
    Yours
    Papi

She looks and flies nicely in FSX, also!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBY.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	60971
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Consolidated PBY-6A fire fighter/water bomber in FSX

Hi,
    wonder if all the gauges, especially the waterdrop system operates as it is descripted in the manual
    when used in FSX
    Yours
    Papi

Hi,
    wonder if all the gauges, especially the waterdrop system operates as it is descripted in the manual
    when used in FSX
    Yours
    Papi
    Will test it tomorrow!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

PBY-6A of french PROTECTION CIVILE Pelican vert

Hi Friends,

things continue to progress,
    here now from the french PROTECTION CIVILE one of their two PBY-6A' s, Pelican Vert
    Yours
    Papi

I see that there's a model with the cargo nose and waist blisters. Do you need a Cousteau Calypso skin for it? If so, I have one already made. (I think Papi does too, and they're probably identical.)

There is an small mapping issue that I noticed when the Calypso skin is worn by the earlier model with the cargo nose and no waist blisters. The cover over the bombardier's window, left over from the military Cats, takes its color from somewhere on the fuselage sides on the texture, and it doesn't take it from the same spot on both sides. It's not a glaring error and probably not worth a major effort to fix, but if the fix isn't too much trouble it would be nice.

I've been frantically busy and haven't had time to see if this effects any other skins.

Consolidated PBY-6A fire fighter mapping issue

Hi Mick,

the mapping issue is some where on the left body front
    if we take Cousteau's Cat logicaly it is in the black painted area.
    I made a simple test in making this area yellow and the problem did disapear.
    So for me I will look all the PBY textures if I find an indication where the bug might be.
    I hope to find it.
    Also I believe Shessi could tell us something about as it might be visible at the mdl model or the model
    without the skin.
    I got the model file with blisters from Shessi.
    I still wait from him an answer if he wants to publish it from his own or if I should do it with my repaints.
    As model with blisters I have ready to start: Fire Eater, Pelican vert, Red 54, Orange factory fresh, Silver factory fresh,
    white factory frech, and yellow/green primer painted, french SLPAC and the Calypso (if you want to publish Calypso, no problem for me to leave it at yours)
    Yours
    Papi

Hi Gents,
    Just got back from m/cycling with some friends in Eire and it DIDN'T rain in Eire!!!! Even the Irish couldn't believe it...ha ha!!

I will get up to speed with things over the next couple of days.

Cheers

Shessi

...the mapping issue is some where on the left body front...
    Hp Papi,

You fixed my screenshot! Now can you fix my model?

The issue is that the left and right side of the "nose shutters," as AlphaSims calls the shutters over the bombardier's window, is that the right and left sides of the nose shutters draw their color from different places on the fuselage front textures. That's why one side shows up yellow and the other black.

I did some experimentation and found that in order to avoid the small discrepancy on the nose shutters, you would have to introduce a much larger discrepancy on one of the fuselage sides. If you've already started to experiment, you know why I stopped. It's not possible to fix the nose shutters without ruining one side of the forward fuselage.

It's not a big anomaly. My thinking is that it would be nice to fix the mapping of that's a simple, easy job, but not if it would require a lot of work. The same discrepancy exists on the same skin for the old -5A model and as far as we know, nobody ever noticed, and that skin has been around for years.

Consolidated PBY-6A fire fightertexture mapping

Hi Mick,
    with fsrepainter things are quiet easier and faster.
    I did as you some experimentations - and had as you no solution
    I agree completely with you - let us live with that little bug.
    As Shessi is back on the scene we will see what he says concerning the blister models.
    before I got the blister model I adjusted the Calsyps paint on the normal military version.
    Later when I had the blister midel there was just to transfer the textures and all "glued" together.
    If Shessi agrees I will send you the model.
    Yours
    Papi

Hi Mick,
    with fsrepainter things are quiet easier and faster.
    I did as you some experimentations - and had as you no solution
    I agree completely with you - let us live with that little bug.
    As Shessi is back on the scene we will see what he says concerning the blister models.
    before I got the blister model I adjusted the Calsyps paint on the normal military version.
    Later when I had the blister model there was just to transfer the textures and all "glued" together.
    If Shessi agrees I will send you the model.
    Yours
    Papi
    Hi Papi,

I did the same conversion as you did for the Calyoso textures, but yours may be more up to date with the latest version of the civilian model, so I think yours should go into the release. I'll leave mine alone now.

I'd be happy to have a model with the waist blisters but I'm happy to wait for the final version of it, and I have no more skins on my to-do list, so I don't need it at this time.
    Last edited by Mick; June 13th, 2018 at 06:51.

Consolidated PBY-6A fire fighter blister models

Hi Mick,

at the moment I just wait for Shessies answer,
    for the model with out the blisters I have two repaints, factory fresh silver, factory fresh orange
    for the model with blisters I have five repaints among them Fire Eater from the film "ALWAYS" and RED54
    from HEMET VALLEY Flying Service.
    Even they are not water bombers I will include Cousteau's Calypso PBY (as you agree Mick) and the french SLPAC PBY.
    I will do so as the model with blister is correct for them.
    And for the friends who use wide screen monitors there will be the 1044X900 2D panel.
    From my side I just had to put all together and write the read me (that is what I realy do not like LOL)
    and than post it.
    I do not know if Shessi would agree or make some other evolutions.
    Yours
    Papi

Consolidated PBY-6A fire fightersome of mine Cats

Good evening friends,
    the picture is not very clear
    it is just an attempt to show some of the civil PBY-6A' s
    Yours
    Papi

Members who have read this thread: 1