June 4, 1942

Thread: June 4, 1942

Torpedo 8

Always felt this short film really puts Memorial Day in perspective. I once met George Gay, sole survivor from VT-8 at the Naval Aviation Museum when I was a boy. and enjoyed later reading his book "Sole Survivor".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa6O5GjUonQ

On the note.Any of you talented aircraft makers willing to give us a nice solid TBD ?

The OH TBD is good in my book from a model view.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Sure would be nice to see something like this on those cable channels that only have programs relating to one of three subjects - UFOs, Nazis who escaped, Nazis and the occult. Would be a nice break from the monotony.

The old "Silent Service" short TV stories, presented by RADM Tommy Dykers, would be a nice break, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The OH TBD is good in my book from a model view.
    I agree. Just needs better 2d and 3d cockpit. Perhaps remove the "middle crewmember" since from what can tell, they rarely flew into combat with a three man crew.

Hi dasuto247,

There should be two versions Bomber and Torpedo.

If there are not in the library Pen32win's Fast Carrier Raids package has them.

Regards,
    B24Guy

June 4, 1942

Always think about the battle on the anniversary and this morning attended a ceremony commemorating the 76th anniversary of battle. What a day in history

Thanks for the reminder. An event in history that should be honored to be sure.

Icon22 Reply...

Dasuto247,

Thank you for this important reminder. It was on my mind to post on this, but I was busy all day, and I was not able to respond before you did. Thank you.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Never have so many owed so much to so few. If American Torpedo squadrons had not arrived ahead of the dive bombers, Japanese air cover would have been up at its assigned altitude instead of down chasing the remains of Torpedo 8 across the wave tops when the US dive bombers did showed up. The little twist of fate had momentous consequences. When Stalin heard about the American victory at Midway he was finally convinced that Japan would no longer be a credible threat on his Eastern front and he released the rest of his Siberian reserves for use in the upcoming battle of Stalingrad. The American victory at Midway was truly the beginning of the end of WWII.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Never have so many owed so much to so few. If American Torpedo squadrons had not arrived ahead of the dive bombers, Japanese air cover would have been up at its assigned altitude instead of down chasing the remains of Torpedo 8 across the wave tops when the US dive bombers did showed up. The little twist of fate had momentous consequences. When Stalin heard about the American victory at Midway he was finally convinced that Japan would no longer be a credible threat on his Eastern front and he released the rest of his Siberian reserves for use in the upcoming battle of Stalingrad. The American victory at Midway was truly the beginning of the end of WWII.

Yep. Also many parts of the battle that were overlooked. The carrier based TBD's certainly played huge role in bringing down the fighters to sea level, giving the SBD's essentially carte blanche to attack the carriers, but the Marine, Navy, and Army aviators contributed as well as they attacked first. One of the four B-26's that made torpedo runs, damaged, tried a suicide attack on Akagi, narrowing missing the island and the bridge. The obsolete Vindicator dive bombers under Major Henderson, 7 out of 11 failed to return. 6 TBF's (first ones to enter combat, were brand new planes) a detachment from Hornet's VT-8, 5 of 6 lost. Park's and his fighters lost defending Midway. The submarine Nautilus trying to attack, caused the destroyer Arashi to hang around, which McClusky spotted and followed when it was racing at high speed to catch the fleet. The days after June 4, the Enterprise kept hunting, the surviving dive bombers from the carriers and Midway attacking the stragglers, sinking the cruiser Mikuma , damaging Mogami.

A lot of bravery, a lot of luck. While it's a movie(which I enjoyed, despite some issues) , "Midway" had a line in the end where Nimitz and Rochefort discuss if Garth (Charleton Heston) knew how big they won. Likely many who died in battle were not aware just how much impact they made. Other line at the end from Henry Fonda as Nimitz "I think he would say...it doesn't make any sense Admiral Yamamoto had everything going for him..."

Thank you for the reminder. That was the secound most important Battle of World war two. God Bless those men.

Members who have read this thread: 1