To be a ferry pilot in a single prop like the Soloy Mk2

Thread: To be a ferry pilot in a single prop like the Soloy Mk2

To be a ferry pilot in a single prop like the Soloy Mk2

just trying to implement workable tip tanks to the Soloy, I got a new idea. What do think about creating a new model with AUX tank in cabin, life raft, immension suit and other ferry pilotīs stuff like HF radio etc. to simulate long distance ferry flights in a single prop like the Mark 2? E.g. northern atlantic route between Goose Bay - Narsanuaq - Kevlavik - Wick and than to Europe. I never did it.

What do you think?

Thomas

Very interesting idea Thomas. It sounds very immersive, and if any single engine prop plane was suited for such long trips it would be the Soloy.

I have seen a really cool tv show about ferry pilots and they usually ferry planes like C172s, C182s (amongst others) for thousands of miles to deliver them to customers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Flights

http://cbaviation.com/

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Interesting Book About Single Engine Ferry Pilots

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I once read a very entertaining, interesting book called "Air Vagabonds". Most on this board would like it! (End of hi-jack.)
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

That's a great idea!

I flew for a couple of years in American Samoa and we had single engine ferry trips go through every once in awhile. Saw stuff as small as C-172's, just the pilot seat, big ferry tank, and life ramp on top of the tank. Most of the smaller planes traveled in pairs. Lots of water with one motor!

cheers,
    steve

For those of a certain age the late Hughie Green used to ferry small aircraft across the Atlantic. He started off in WW2 then he did it in addition to his day job after the war.

Quote Originally Posted by simondix View Post
    For those of a certain age the late Hughie Green used to ferry small aircraft across the Atlantic. He started off in WW2 then he did it in addition to his day job after the war.
    Do you mean that most sincerely? (catchphrase time folks)
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Do you mean that most sincerely? (catchphrase time folks)
    I was tempted but resisted

Members who have read this thread: 0