Latest Windows 10 update may affect FS9 use negatively

Thread: Latest Windows 10 update may affect FS9 use negatively

Latest Windows 10 update may affect FS9 use negatively

I haven't seen this addressed in the FS community yet, but the latest Windows 10 update has caused problems in fs9 use. The specific problem involves slower load times and delays between view changes and other screen rendering. I notice that the "spinning circle" will be displayed during view changes and aircraft changes. Also affected are the use of the functions in the top menu bar. Choosing Settings will trigger the "spinning circle" for a few seconds while the selected function tries to load. Overall the sim functions fine and frame rates are the same but game play is not as fluid because of the frequent delays. I have experience no game crashes because of the problem. According to a knowledgeable friend, the general computer gaming community is all over MS about this problem, so hopefully a fix is coming soon.

I will also add that until now my experience with fs9 on my Windows 10 system has been excellent.

Ever the skeptic I thought I'd give FS2004 a whizz as I hadn't for ages and ages. Took a long time to start up (over 75 seconds) yet there are no addons whatsoever in the sim. So I closed it down and started it again... this time 71 seconds. Selection of a flight at my local (CYXX) airport 27 seconds. But once up and running was normal. Unloading the sim took a while too. So I concur, MS must have done something to skewer it.

Oh and a/c selection screen took about 10 seconds to display (again only default a/c in sim)

One +ve however the aircraft were not blacked out in the selection screen. So that is good.

My specs below.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Blog Entries
    I am experiencing the same problems. At least now I know it's not my system, and that MS is aware of it. Thanks for posting Downwind.

I've noticed that as well, for me, the keyboard commands no longer work, my graphics settings got totally screwed and my email account erased and Office no longer works.

When it was working, Win10 was ok, but they keep screwing up the updates.

Oh, and I'm stuck in mobile viewing mode for the forum too.

Ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; May 28th, 2018 at 01:10.

Recent windows 10 update

Concur with almost all of the points regarding the effect on FS9 caused by the WINDOWS 10 update. An overall slowing of the implementation of changes without any reduction in the visuals and frame rate.

From a personal view-point I am amazed that a 32 bit programme that I bought in 2004 still runs very effectively on WINDOWS 10 Pro 64 bit.

All the add-ons and a/c I have installed give me a total overall size on disc of around 300 Giga Bytes.

On the visuals side I have progressed through a number of graphics cards and PCs resulting in an increase from my original 15 fps to a frame rate of around 60 fps in 'full screen' mode and over 100 fps in 'windowed' mode.

Only glitch I am still attempting to resolve is when I select 'real world' weather mode when flying from Cumbernauld (Garry Summons UK2000 Extreme scenery), the weather is always winter, always snowing and viz of quarter of a mile. The weather data comes via Jeppesen from the nearest weather station, but is obviously not getting through to poor old Cumbernauld.

Mal

To the extent that forum posts are reliable, many have stated that the Jeppesen support for fs9 has ended. Even more distressing is the abandonment by publishers of some commercial weather programs...stuff we paid for. Technology is a fickle friend.

The major problem i am having after the 1803 update is when loading add on air fields. They glitch for about two seconds or so. It mainly is in loading textures I think.

this didn't occur under the 1709 update.
    "Thats some of the best flying I have ever seen, upto the point that your dead, Never ever leave your wingman!"......Jester, Top Gun

Possible solution to some of the ills described above that began with the Windows update in April:

That update provided a feature that is called "Focus Assist". You can reach that setting by right-clicking the dialogue box that appears at the lower corner of the screen, also called the notifications box. The focus assist has three options. You will want to choose the "Off" option. This should eliminate the delays in switching in-sim functions such as aircraft changes, airports, etc. that were hanging for some people. It certainly did not affect every user, but some may find this useful.

Nope tried that, no improvement. FS9 with no addons this morning took 93 seconds to get to the selection screen. I went no further and switched off. So if anything that made it worse.
    Just tried a second boot - 91 seconds.

As an experiment I turned off the Focus Assist settings. Boot time 95 seconds.

Just getting the loading screen up for FS9 takes 10 seconds.

Well done MS.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    That update provided a feature that is called "Focus Assist". You can reach that setting by right-clicking the dialogue box that appears at the lower corner of the screen, also called the notifications box. The focus assist has three options. You will want to choose the "Off" option. This should eliminate the delays in switching in-sim functions such as aircraft changes, airports, etc. that were hanging for some people. It certainly did not affect every user, but some may find this useful.
    Older thread, though a current subject for yours truly. This might help someone who, like me, had kept their flight computer offline for some time.

After configuring my new rig this past March it was taken fully offline. Hence, many Windows updates were avoided. Had snuck it back online last Friday, thinking I'd configured Windows10 to not update. No joy, it did anyway! Subsequently, one update will not delete no matter what (managed to get rid of the rest of them though).

The skinny: Your suggestion passed along worked perfectly on my system, thank you. One or more of the other updates began crashing my FS 2004 as well until ridding myself of them. Then it was simply a matter of dealing with all those pesky black-screen delays while watching the little circles go round and round. Really annoying, though it's all back up 100% here now. Am happy and thankful to have found your post about it, worked like a charm.

Now then, am back to the routine of keeping my battle rig offline, transferring images, writing, and stuff to this wee Chromebook via thumbdrive to post/send/bug folks with.

Last edited by boxcar; September 3rd, 2018 at 13:03.

​.

Members who have read this thread: 0