Questions about installing P-3C ORION V3.3 for FSX Team KBT

Thread: Questions about installing P-3C ORION V3.3 for FSX Team KBT

Questions about installing P-3C ORION V3.3 for FSX Team KBT

P-3C ORION V3.3 for FSX,ok question 1.there are a whole lot of downloads for this on Avsim P-3C ORION V3.1,3.2 ect,ect,do,I need to download and install all of them incrementally,or just the latest 3.3? 2.will all the repaints for 3.1,3.2 work also with 3.3?Thanks

1. Not that I can tell. It looks like the v3.3 is the complete aircraft. Follow their Readme instructions for proper installation, of course.
    2. I believe so. Easy way to find out: Try one, and see how it looks

Hope that helps...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

The latest update and therefore the most correct version should be the download zip file: p-3c_orion_fsx_v33.zip. Wthin the zip container will be information confirming this is version 3.3 and the sim model folder will be simply named P-3C_Orion_FSX. This is the whole aircraft but note it is only the P3C. This is where it gets confusing there are other releases for the Orion they are:
    P-3B,
    NP-3D
    NOAA_Orions
    Vp-3A Catbird

These are all different model variants of the Orion and are not included in the P-3C Orion V3.3 package. Just the way KBT does things. There were a lot of minor changes some quite particular to the issues of some bits of the model, which probably explains the confusion. It was the way they were released in bits and pieces each with a new issue and version, anyhow if that is the ORION P3Cyou want then that is the package you need. If you want the others then you will need to download the other packages which by the way also install separately to the P3C in the sim.

There are also the following relevant mod you may want to consider:
    P3_Shockwave_Lites_Eng_Smoke.zip
    p3sm_fsx

There are some alternative sound packages about, one which changes the beta pitch sound when taxying and another which replaces the whole sound package. Victor Meculief is the author so you will find these if you use his name in the file searches.

Be prepared for issues with the VC and popups unfortunately KBT have not had the time or resources to rebuild this aspect of the ORION with respect to FSX, so in some ways it is a bit MS2004 but it all works ok in FSX. The KBT L-188 Electra has similar issues but the VC there is quite different and a some issues like the engine starter problem have been fixed but as it is the civilian airliner upon which the P3 was based (The P3 being shorter and with a different nose section to start with) it had to be different anyway. There was really good mod package for the cockpit done for the 2004 version complete with green cockpit lighting but alas it will not install or work with the FSX P3 (Not that I have been able to get it to work). It would be nice to update the panel to a more modern EFIS system ....but!

Hope this helps.

Here's the link to the latest KBT download https://viperhiro.wordpress.com/ bare in mind it's in Japanese
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Hi,and thanks for the info from all,I also see that there is a download here in the warbirds library,3.3.1,I believe it looks as thou it has a few extra features to it than the 3.3 on Avsim,but,I could be wrong.I just purchased FirefighterX and,I am basically looking for the version that works with the Aero union fire plane version repaint.Thanks
    Last edited by PhantomP; May 28th, 2018 at 11:03.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomP View Post
    Hi,and thanks for the info from all,I also see that there is a download here in the warbirds library,3.3.1,I believe it looks as thou it has a few extra features to it than the 3.3 on Avsim,but,I could be wrong.I just purchased FirefighterX and,I am basically looking for the version that works with the Aero union fire plane version repaint.Thanks
    Cannot help you with that sorry, there is a couple of folk into the tanker versions or firefighting stuff. I only have the military versions up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    The latest update and therefore the most correct version should be the download zip file: p-3c_orion_fsx_v33.zip. Wthin the zip container will be information confirming this is version 3.3 and the sim model folder will be simply named P-3C_Orion_FSX. This is the whole aircraft but note it is only the P3C. This is where it gets confusing there are other releases for the Orion they are:
    P-3B,
    NP-3D
    NOAA_Orions
    Vp-3A Catbird

These are all different model variants of the Orion and are not included in the P-3C Orion V3.3 package. Just the way KBT does things. There were a lot of minor changes some quite particular to the issues of some bits of the model, which probably explains the confusion. It was the way they were released in bits and pieces each with a new issue and version, anyhow if that is the ORION P3Cyou want then that is the package you need. If you want the others then you will need to download the other packages which by the way also install separately to the P3C in the sim.

There are also the following relevant mod you may want to consider:
    P3_Shockwave_Lites_Eng_Smoke.zip
    p3sm_fsx

There are some alternative sound packages about, one which changes the beta pitch sound when taxying and another which replaces the whole sound package. Victor Meculief is the author so you will find these if you use his name in the file searches.

Be prepared for issues with the VC and popups unfortunately KBT have not had the time or resources to rebuild this aspect of the ORION with respect to FSX, so in some ways it is a bit MS2004 but it all works ok in FSX. The KBT L-188 Electra has similar issues but the VC there is quite different and a some issues like the engine starter problem have been fixed but as it is the civilian airliner upon which the P3 was based (The P3 being shorter and with a different nose section to start with) it had to be different anyway. There was really good mod package for the cockpit done for the 2004 version complete with green cockpit lighting but alas it will not install or work with the FSX P3 (Not that I have been able to get it to work). It would be nice to update the panel to a more modern EFIS system ....but!

Hope this helps.
    There was really good mod package for the cockpit done for the 2004 version complete with green cockpit lighting,do you have a link for this? I would like to try to install this.Thanks

Phantom Tweak - Re the Green Cockpit Lighting. Regrettably I deleted the zip file doing a P3 folder clean up. I do recall it was for the 2004 version and from memory it was on SimAviation's website (I think). The screenshots looked really good but when I unzipped it it had an installer exe that had to be run, it would abort the installation giving me a message I had the wrong models or similar. I was unable to unpack it further to see if I could get it out and installed manually.

I think lots of us would love to improve the VC in some small way but cannot because of the way the VC is modelled which means you cannot place guages or equipment where it is supposed to go because of the polygons and interior modelling. I have thought about doing some changes via the emissive lighting stuff but have not had the time due to other commitments (life and other stuff). The VC is ok but it really shows its age as being a 2004 port-over into FSX and without someone (hint KBT) taking the time to redo the interior model and build new gauges it probably will not happen (is that not a perennial issue with the sim). It is still a very finely done model otherwise and the few tweaks about for sound etc and the available paints to my mind mean there is not a variant that is not covered and most users of the P3 have a paint scheme represented.

Thanks for all the info BendyFlyer.

Phantom Tweak - Re the Green Cockpit Lighting. Regrettably I deleted the zip file doing a P3 folder clean up. I do recall it was for the 2004 version and from memory it was on SimAviation's website (I think). The screenshots looked really good but when I unzipped it it had an installer exe that had to be run, it would abort the installation giving me a message I had the wrong models or similar. I was unable to unpack it further to see if I could get it out and installed manually.
    There is a little trick you can use for changing the cockpit lighting colors as you desire, and it requires no add-ons, or changes to the [lights] section or the aircraft.cfg.

Try this: In the Panel.cfg file, usually, but not invariably, down at the bottom is, or should be anyway, and entry that looks like this:
    Code:
    [Color]Day=255,255,255
    Night=248,250,216
    Luminous=248,250,216
    To change the overall color of the cockpit lights in general, but not the gauges, change the second line. The numbers are the colors in RGB form. IE: to make everything green(er), change the numbers to something like this: Night=220,250,200 . Notice the second number, the 250, is now the highest by a fair amount. I lowered the Red and Blue numbers, but left the Green number high. The lighting in the cockpit will now appear greener.

You can make the lighting any color you desire by adjusting the numbers properly. It can take a little practice, but after a short time, you will be quite good at visualizing the results of different combinations of numbers.

To change the colors of the gauges alone, just adjust the numbers of the line Luminous=248,250,216 .

Of course, you can make the gauges and cockpit lighting different, like the gauge internal lighting one color, and the cockpit lighting another, adjust the two lines accordingly. Make the gauges green, and the cockpit a pale cream, just adjust the numbers to make that happen.
    Like this:
    Code:
    Night=248,250,216
    Luminous=220,250,200
    Of course, to make the gauges internal lighting, and the cockpit lighting in general match up, make the numbers in the two lines match

Hope this helps out a little...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Thanks Pat,I will give it a try.

PhantomTweak - neat information on the cockpit lighting and emissive textures, Thanks. Will have a fiddle with it this coming weekend.

FWIW I found the package on SimAviation it is for the Orion Aries - "FS2004 Lockheed EP-3E Aires II.zip "

Here is a screenshot they included of the VC - very nice work, oh my bad, it is not green at all but they did make some good changes to the instrumentation and the general lighting

I downloaded it again to have another look see if there is another way to crack the nut!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails preview-popup.jpg  

Cool,thanks for the link,and the pics BendyFlyer,and please let me know if you get that beautiful panel installed.Thanks

PhantomP and others. Sorry but this panel and model will not work in FSX. Various reasons, while it is a 2004 model and can be ported across ( I managed to unpack the exe file and rebuild it) and comes up ok, the critical issue is that the panel devised for this version namely the gauges most of them (about 80%) are not compatible with FSX as they are FS9 or earlier gauges and therefore are not supported by FSX and will not run, so while I managed to get it up into FSX the panel was full of blanks due to the missing gauges. I guess until somebody does some work on the FSX V3 VC it will stay the way its apart from changing the emissive textures colour balances. Worth a try but alas no go.

Well thanks for trying anyway BendyFlyer,it would have been nice to have that panel working,but easy come,easy go.

Hello everyone,

-I can not find the orion that has the beautiful vc illustrated above!
    Do you have a link?
    Even at KBT, the vc does not look like the one shown here!
    Similarly, the "FS2004 Lockheed EP-3E Aires II.zip" gives nothing
    Thank you for your help!

Alain

Members who have read this thread: 0