Quik Let's Jump To The Next FS11!

Thread: Quik Let's Jump To The Next FS11!

Quik Let's Jump To The Next FS11!

I try not to be a pest or ask ton's of questions about FS but try and fix it
    myself before I appeal to the powers that be. This I am about to present
    is not a question but a observation. I have been with the FS program
    since 1998 as many of you have. Often when a new MS FS program appears
    on the radar through the years the majority right away dump the last FS
    and jump to the new one. Even though the old program has a lot of life in
    it, it does not matter. Now with FSX, there is no longer jumping from one
    FS to the next new one. It has ended. I continue to expand and use FS2000,
    FS2002, FS2004. I do have FSX but I do not use it since I have enough to keep
    me busy, I fly CFS2 on another PC which works perfect. Maybe someday I will
    pursue FSX. The old MS FS still have that wonderful appeal for me.

Salute

Casey

Casey, what matters in the end is that you enjoy whatever you do, no matter what version you happen to fly. We all have opinions on which Sim has the most to offer, and normally I would give the positives for moving on to newer Sims. . .but you are content and it's all about what gives you pleasure. Rock On Casey, Rock On!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

The closest your going to find to FS11 is Lockheed's P3D, they started with the source to FSX/ESP, hired a bunch of developers from Microsoft Aces Studio who worked on it and have been working at it since. You could think of P3d v1,2,3,4 as FS11, FS12, FS13 and FS14. There updates have not been dramatic (except v4 when they jumped to 64 bit) but they have made continuous improvements to it and I think it is a pretty good improvement over FSX while maintaining pretty good backward compatibility. At this point its my go to sim and I only pull out FSX when I need to test something.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Jumping from the old sim to the new one always had only one reason: what you were looking for as a simmer.
    The fact that an old sim still has a lot of life is sometimes not sufficient to keep you there. It depends on how a situation compares in both sims.
    Keeping an old sim alive just because of nostalgia makes no sense to me.
    What do you do in FS2000 that you cannot do in FS9, FSX or P3D ?
    And more importantly, what do you do in FS2000 that cannot be done in a better way and in better conditions in FS9, FSX or P3D ?

Nowadays, the jumps have not stopped. The next FS is called P3Dv4. And many people jumped over already, because this time, the jump is much easier than jumping from FS9 to FSX. Less pain, less requirements. Less addons as well, because of 64 bits.... but less troubles too.

Members +
    Yes, the constant search for the holy grail of flight simulations.....
    Obviously this also means updating PC hardware to play catch-up with the newer sims that use more resources, & we have heard all the complaints that xxx simulation is not so good as it does not run better that we had, as we have not updated our PC's.

At the end of the day, there are those that just want the newest!

For me, I'm still using FS2004 because:
    1. It just works on most PC's & without tweaking to get it to work.
    2. For us, here in South Africa, it has all our South African scenery (including rivers, roads, powerlines, mountains & revised coastlines) as freeware.
    3. Golden Wings
    4. Ford Tri-Motor Project planes & scenery
    5. Shackleton, Impala (MB326) & Albatross (P166) aircraft
    6. We have built 2x simulators (MB326 & Shackleton) using a pretty much basic PC, with FS2004. The immersion factor is that real pilots flying the sims actually bump themselves in the seats, anticipating touchdown.
    7. Milton & teams aircraft!! (& many other freeware developers)

So, our immersion factor rules! No newer sim will give us what we have.
    Others may find their solution is with newer sims.

BTW... there will never be an FS11! The FS franchise was a Microsoft developed product, now defunct.

Regards,
    Robin
    (Cape Town, South Africa)

As I said, it all depends on what you are looking for as a simmer.
    If these addons are enough for you, then there's nothing wrong in keeping enjoying them.
    Other simmer were looking for something more and moved over.
    It has always been like that.

That being said, appart from Golden Wings and maybe a few airports, most addons you mentioned are available or compatible with FSX.
    The list of available sceneries for South Africa seems quite decent too: http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/southafrica.html
    Also, most of your FS9 landclasses and meshes will most likely work in FSX as well.

My point is, since FSX Steam is sometimes on sales for a very low price (around 8 to 12 dollars), it might be worth a try to get it and try to transfer a few of your addons (or their FSX counterpart, if they exist) to it, just to see how they look and what kind of experience you get.
    It's important to consider what you will be missing by switching to a new sim. But it's also important to check what you're missing out by NOT switching to a new sim
    Your FS9 can stay there, it won't be impacted by an FSX install anyways.

Members +

Icon26

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    As I said, it all depends on what you are looking for as a simmer.
    If these addons are enough for you, then there's nothing wrong in keeping enjoying them.
    Other simmer were looking for something more and moved over.
    It has always been like that.

That being said, appart from Golden Wings and maybe a few airports, most addons you mentioned are available or compatible with FSX.
    The list of available sceneries for South Africa seems quite decent too: http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/southafrica.html
    Also, most of your FS9 landclasses and meshes will most likely work in FSX as well.

My point is, since FSX Steam is sometimes on sales for a very low price (around 8 to 12 dollars), it might be worth a try to get it and try to transfer a few of your addons (or their FSX counterpart, if they exist) to it, just to see how they look and what kind of experience you get.
    It's important to consider what you will be missing by switching to a new sim. But it's also important to check what you're missing out by NOT switching to a new sim
    Your FS9 can stay there, it won't be impacted by an FSX install anyways.
    Our current scenery (Aeroworx freeware)is certainly not compatible with FSX at all, & they do have for FSX as well.
    I'm sure you cannot have multiple installs of FSX on the same computer. (apologies if I am in error).
    I actually have 4 installs of FS2004, of various themes/era's, & it's easy just to copy & paste the sim across to different PC's as well.
    I have a master 'Special Edition' that I copy & paste to the guys at our club, so we all have the same scenery & planes when we fly together.
    I also have a basic training version that I copy & paste to the kids of our volunteer program, 'The Young Falcons' so they can practice at home.

Yes, FS2004 still has it's place amongst virtual flyers. :-)
    I had FSX on my PC for many years & eventually dumped it, as I found that it did not increase my immersion factor.

Yup, I did try all the available sceneries for FSX.

Members who have read this thread: 0