Windows 10 updates are dangrous
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 updates are dangrous

Windows 10 updates are dangrous

amazing how microsoft updates work or they kill your computer i had to reinstall every thing Watch out
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

If you google 'stopping windows 10 updates' you'll find there are methods to do so.
    Some may require editing the registry...which is something NOT for the faint-hearted...as errors WILL cause issues which may be drastic to remedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    If you google 'stopping windows 10 updates' you'll find there are methods to do so.
    Some may require editing the registry...which is something NOT for the faint-hearted...as errors WILL cause issues which may be drastic to remedy.
    You can always export your registry before editing it so that you can import the backup if the effects are not what you were looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    You can always export your registry before editing it so that you can import the backup if the effects are not what you were looking for.
    Yes, just open the registry in Regedit (look for it in Accessories\System tools (or maybe under Administrative Tools; I may have moved the link on my menu), on the File menu click Export and save it to the desktop (or wherever you want.) At least thta's where it is on my W7pro rig.

Somehow I'm not surprised to read that W10 is another in that very long line of Windows versions that can seriously mess up yourt system with updates.

Well, to be completely honest, I never had any problems with Windows 10 updates. I must admit though that after updating normally to two new builds, I always do a clean install with the latest build, like I've just done with build 1803.

I do run Windows 10 Enterprise though, which seems to be a lot more stable than the Home or Professional versions.

Priller

After being a site admin on a site engaged in manipulation of the Windows shell [GUI] as well as its replacement with alternate shells, etc for the past 17 years, I am well versed in the potential for [seemingly] catastrophic failure one can have when delving into parts of an OS you are not experienced/comfortable with.
    That being the case, the only responsible advice is to warn that the inexperienced CAN have issues if they drop the ball whilst altering kernel/core settings.

You should never presume competence. If they brick their OS to the point where they panic and "reinstall Windows" and succeed in losing work/data/whatever they'll be less than thrilled..

Did you know Windows even has an error that reads "You must reinstall Windows" [it occurs when one particular dll isn't found and yet otherwise the OS is complete and functional].

After being a site admin on a site engaged in manipulation of the Windows shell [GUI] as well as its replacement with alternate shells, etc for the past 17 years, I am well versed in the potential for [seemingly] catastrophic failure one can have when delving into parts of an OS you are not experienced/comfortable with.
    That being the case, the only responsible advice is to warn that the inexperienced CAN have issues if they drop the ball whilst altering kernel/core settings.

You should never presume competence. If they brick their OS to the point where they panic and "reinstall Windows" and succeed in losing work/data/whatever they'll be less than thrilled..

Did you know Windows even has an error that reads "You must reinstall Windows" [it occurs when one particular dll isn't found and yet otherwise the OS is complete and functional].
    I agree, especially on the "seemingly". Then again, in these times, there is no excuse for not having backups of your files or settings. With all the shenanigans running about, with all the hacking/phishing and so forth about, one owes it to oneself to have backups of all things that you value.

I also never presume competence, but it is fair to expect IT literacy. This is the 21st century after all.

And indeed, Windows (every version) has several errors that seem catastrophic, but are actually pretty easy to solve. if you know your way around that is.

Priller

I do think the risks of registry editing are occasionally slightly exaggerated, but if you must type with your elbows wearing a down jacket...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Tried to install the 1803 update on my desktop PC on saturday.

First attempt: Failure after the first reboot. Ran a Microsoft FixIt after that which essentially reset Windows Update.
    Second attempt: Failure after the first reboot.
    Third attempt: Failure after the first reboot while trying to force the update through the Media Creation Tool.
    Fourth attempt: Failure after the first reboot. Considered throwing my PC out of the window, especially since the update easily installed on my laptop (W10 Home x64).

At least the error code contained a bit more info ("failed to boot into safe mode" or so). Googled it and found something relating to disconnecting other disk drives. Got an idea, booted into the BIOS and selected direct boot from the Windows partition instead from the bootloader on the Linux partition.

Attempt number five ran through without a hitch.

Still undecided whether it's worse that I'm out of the loop regarding Windows updates or that Microsoft decided to pull the same crap it did on MBR BIOS on UEFI systems now (being too incompetent to handle other bootloaders than Windows').

P.S: 1803 is surprisingly snappy, despite all that new future-computing-VR-bloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    P.S: 1803 is surprisingly snappy, despite all that new future-computing-VR-bloat.
    That's what I am finding on my work laptop and 2 FS desktops. More responsiveness in the GUI.

Got an idea, booted into the BIOS and selected direct boot from the Windows partition instead from the bootloader on the Linux partition.

Still undecided whether it's worse that I'm out of the loop regarding Windows updates or that Microsoft decided to pull the same crap it did on MBR BIOS on UEFI systems now (being too incompetent to handle other bootloaders than Windows').
    Why should MS handle a bootloader from another OS? It's just a waste of their resources to make it compatible with every other OS. If you want to use something from Linux, blame Linux when it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Why should MS handle a bootloader from another OS? It's just a waste of their resources to make it compatible with every other OS. If you want to use something from Linux, blame Linux when it doesn't work.
    They're starting to appease Linux users by integrating Bash, so why the hell shouldn't they consider dual boot scenarios?

P.S: Once set up, Linux always works.

P.S: Once set up, Linux always works.
    https://itvision.altervista.org/why....p.current.html

Laalaalaa, I can't hear you over my incredibly efficient and down to the point Linux installation and awesome computer skills used in getting it to run like I want to!

P.S:
    How MS Office can be regarded as a good thing is beyond me. The overly tabbed user interface in use since 2007 is straight out of the lowest circles of hell.
    I rarely cuss when using LibreOffice, but Office 2010 (in use at work) receives language that no soap and prayer in the world can wash off.

Laalaalaa, I can't hear you over my incredibly efficient and down to the point Linux installation and awesome computer skills used in getting it to run like I want to!

P.S:
    How MS Office can be regarded as a good thing is beyond me. The overly tabbed user interface in use since 2007 is straight out of the lowest circles of hell.
    I rarely cuss when using LibreOffice, but Office 2010 (in use at work) receives language that no soap and prayer in the world can wash off.
    I bought the latest Office (can't remember the year but it's far beyond 2010) for my girlfriend because she refuses to use anything else (yes, compatibility between MS files and everything else still has ways to go), and it looks pretty good.

The interface is far better than libreoffice.

And yep, I use linux (kubuntu, anything other than KDE looks like a bunch of different stuff put together lazily and performs poorly, or is so simple it can't even apply vsync and you get screen tearing (and if you fix it it performs just as bad)) on my laptop only because chrome OS (actually, chromium OS, as it is not a google device) is so limiting.

Linux works until some update breaks it. It happens to all OS's.

Replace Linux with Windows and that's my system. I do agree with you about MS Office, though - I have it because I need it rather than because I want it. I can't believe that anyone thought the ribbon was an improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    And yep, I use linux (kubuntu, anything other than KDE looks like a bunch of different stuff put together lazily and performs poorly, or is so simple it can't even apply vsync and you get screen tearing (and if you fix it it performs just as bad)) on my laptop only because chrome OS (actually, chromium OS, as it is not a google device) is so limiting.

Linux works until some update breaks it. It happens to all OS's.
    Au contraire! (XFce)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Replace Linux with Windows and that's my system.
    That's a given as well. But gone are the days where I had to worry about background services and customized Windows ISOs to save RAM and disk space. 10 works well enough out of the box.

That's a given as well. But gone are the days where I had to worry about background services and customized Windows ISOs to save RAM and disk space. 10 works well enough out of the box.
    Agreed 150%! Windows 10 is the best iteration of the Windows OS so far and I never experienced the problems with updates that you sometimes read about over here (and other flightsim fora)

Priller

It's odd that some have had problems with W10, and others don't. I for one as a W10 user havent had a problem at all if any, every time an update comes up I just let it do its thing and I don't have a problem. My W10 came as new with my new PC for a start, so perhaps that might be the reason why I don't have the problems some users are experiencing. I note that W7 was the base for it, and I could revert back to it if I wanted to, but I'm happy with W10 as it is so I don't see the need for that. W10 updates aren't that dangerous to me anyway.
    Mark

Last 10 update to my laptop killed Edge.
    It's a little bit 'telling' that a MS update can affect a 'feature' of the OS itself...

Killed MS Edge? Result!

(but no problems to report with updates here)
    Last edited by hairyspin; May 24th, 2018 at 10:48.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Allways do my updates, otherwise will be using Windows 75 and never had a major problema...this new version 1803 installed (took a while) on both dek and laptop mine and wife's with no problema at all.Quite happy and feel tht P3D v4.2 is running better…

Regards

Indeed! it seems that 1803 makes more efficient use of the available resources!

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Killed MS Edge? Result!

(but no problems to report with updates here)
    Yes, I guess it 'could' be seen as a positive...

Yes, I guess it 'could' be seen as a positive...
    It should have been Internet Explorer...

Members who have read this thread: 0