Question about Helicopter usage in sim - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you fly mostly Fixed wing aircraft or Helicopters?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fixed wing almost exclusivly

39 35.45%
  • More than 2/3 of my flights are fixed wing.

44 40.00%
  • Balanced between Helicopter and Fixed wing.

21 19.09%
  • More than 2/3 of my flight are helicopter

4 3.64%
  • Helicopter almost exclusivly.

2 1.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Helicopter usage in sim

If only I could use VR!
    You gotta have two good eyes for VR to work at all, and I'm down to one left.
    I ran into a horse at 60 MPH on my bike, and bounce down the highway. Messed one of my eyes all kinds of up.
    No close in depth perception, like within arm's reach or so, like trying to pick something up, or catch something thrown to me, but I've learned how to fake distance depth perception, like when I'm driving. It's all the feel of the focus. You'd be surprized. Normally, your brain uses parallax for distance, but I've learned another way, and my brain is pretty good at "feeling" the focus of the eye for depth perception.
    Kind of frustrating, though. I used to be a good juggler, but I lost the eye, and that was the end of that, drat it. It's FUN!

Anyway, no VR for me! Pity, I think helicopters would be better with it...

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Hello Flyers.

I have seen lots of posts recently about Helicopters, but I for one have never gotten into them, mainly because I have always had so much trouble flying them in sim, mostly landing. So I was wondering if my experience is typical of others or how much am I in the minority, so I have devised this simple poll to find out.
    I believe we all had severe trouble to fly helicopters. These are the most difficult thing to pilot, aren't they ?
    However, with a little bit of training, and with nice sceneries to fly over, the helicopter are quite a rewarding experience.
    If you want to train, I would recommend you to use helicopters on wheels, and at first, try to fly them like an airplane, both for takeoff and landings.
    Then progressively, try reducing your speed more and more. This will require more control of the engine power and rudder. If you go progressively enough (which means you don't attempt to hover after two tries...), you will get to "feel" and anticipate the required inputs on power and rudder.
    That being said, I fly helicopters in the sim since FS9, and I'm still unable to do a proper hover (a real clean one, like the rescue pilots do, for example).
    I can however takeoff and land anywhere I want, including very small surfaces.

Regarding the poll, I still fly mostly (2/3) fixed wings. But this is also due to the very small amount of quality helicopters available for our sims.
    The Milviz Huey is probable my current favorite, followed by the MP Design Gazelle and the S-55.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    I fly exclusively in VR these days and it makes a huge difference in Helos and I enjoy flying them now whereas before as awstub says they where just frustrating.

Track IR here - and yes, being able to glance out of the side windows without having to TopHat it makes a very big difference. It's situational awareness in the hover - predicting the helos movements, being ready to counter - not too much, constant small inputs, ready with the power.

I committed to helos about a year ago - flying them at least an hour in the sim each week - to begin with much more. After a year or so I reckon I'm 'okay' - I can hover taxi, hover, etc. Put the helo where I want it; flight deck, clearing in the woods, on the heliport on the top of the lighthouse.

That's after an estimated 75 hours of flight!

It is practice - you will get better and when you do they're a great buzz.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated heli setup with cyclic, collective, and anti-tourqe pedals so take this with a grain of salt but I was tought to have my settings almost the opposite of some suggestions here. Sliders are all full right and NO null zones. Idea being that you want your inputs to register as soon as posible but get ready to "correct" that as soon as possible with quick subtle movements. Ounce you do it for a while, you learn what the helis reaction to your input is going to be and anticipate what might be needed next. Constant small corrections. Remember, these things don't fly, the earth repels them because their so ugly.

LouP

PS. I miss the Dodo

Instead of hovering, I tend to plummet.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Most annoying thing to me when flying helos is that that I have to push the stick all the time to fly level. DCS helos are much more controllable. Otherwise great platform for special missions in all sims.

I found that it suddenly all came together after years of frustration: some tips from various forums made all the difference especially with hovering (which I found the most difficult) such as not fixating on the ground immediately in front of you but looking into the middle distance and making tiny frequent inputs with the cyclic and then immediately returning it to the neutral position. Also, learning to see and anticipate which way the machine is starting to go and correcting for it almost before it’s done it.
    Practice actually doesn’t make perfect unless you’re practicing the correct techniques!
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Does anybody know if the latest version of HTR 1.6.2 works with FSX gold,or boxed addition? I found a couple of links,but one page says it works only with the steam version,and the other link says it works with FSX,and the steam version?Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomP View Post
    Does anybody know if the latest version of HTR 1.6.2 works with FSX gold,or boxed addition? I found a couple of links,but one page says it works only with the steam version,and the other link says it works with FSX,and the steam version?Thanks
    There's no reason it should ONLY work with FSX:SE. The readme file which comes with v1.62 says: "tested under FSX and FSX Steam Edition".

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Instead of hovering, I tend to plummet.

LOL. Just rereading Fate Is The Hunter; the instructor Captain turns to the co-pilot who's just performed very badly in the DC-2 and says quietly; "That wasn't a landing, it was an arrival."

Remember as a helo pilot you need to be more obsessed with wind and wind direction than fixed wing.

ALWAYS know where it's coming from and always aim to land directly in to it - then you're not hovering - you're flying forwards (though with zero ground speed) at whatever the wind speed is. Dial it up in the sim to make it easier. Dial it back when it's getting too easy.

Try landing on Nimitz (with her under way and in to wind) - again, you're not hovering - but the deck's stationary below.

When you can hover in zero wind - Hey, guess what? - you're a goddamn helo pilot.
    Last edited by Ganter; May 21st, 2018 at 09:39.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    There's no reason it should ONLY work with FSX:SE. The readme file which comes with v1.62 says: "tested under FSX and FSX Steam Edition".
    Thanks for the answer vortex,I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomP View Post
    Does anyone know if HTR is compatible with or useful when using P3D?
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I tested HTR in P3D v4.2 out last night but wasn't happy. My Cera 365 started running away on it's own and there was nothing I could do to stop it from rolling away. The 212 and 412 which I remember working well in fsx with HTR were not good in p3d. Full right on the pedals had practically no effect and couldn't turn right. I would bank right and instead of turning I flew on my side in a straight line. I'm not a rw heli pilot but I don't think that would happen in real life. I'm putting it away and waiting for the new 64 bit dodo being worked on. You can read Mark and Simon's log about the 64 bit dodo over at hovercontrol's forum. I'll be snatching that up as soon as it is released. You may need to be a member to read this.

http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/...t=22770;hl=206

Meanwhile there's some pretty challenging birds out there with decent enough flight dynamics. I'm one of those sickos that really enjoys the Nemeth AS350, AS355, EC130 and all the Cerasim birds. Oh and my latest like are the MP Design Gazelles (the S55 is pretty good, too)

Thanks for starting this thread, Joe. It is a most interesting read.
    I'm just getting back into choppers - flying a float-equipped Bell 47 (Flysimware) around Chichagof Island, AK. Good thing about this is I can land pretty much where I want (on the water) at SPBs, so can be practicing my approach/decent/hover/landing without having to have the pin-point accuracy of landing on an 'X' or 'H'.

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread, Joe. It is a most interesting read.
    I'm just getting back into choppers - flying a float-equipped Bell 47 (Flysimware) around Chichagof Island, AK. Good thing about this is I can land pretty much where I want (on the water) at SPBs, so can be practicing my approach/decent/hover/landing without having to have the pin-point accuracy of landing on an 'X' or 'H'.
    I am glad so many people are enjoying this also. So many good tips, Daube's suggestion of wheeled helo's is something I never would have though of, I always tried the small ones that only had skids but it makes a lot of sense, now I just need to find time to try all these suggestions.

This also makes me more interested in VR goggles, but I don't think the wife would be very happy with me when I am totally in the virtual world.
    Joe Cusick

I play around with them a bit now and again when I get to feeling cocky. I can do ok about half the time with them. But to me, the Gee Bee Z is easier to fly and I crash it far less.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I play around with them a bit now and again when I get to feeling cocky. I can do ok about half the time with them. But to me, the Gee Bee Z is easier to fly and I crash it far less.
    This made me laugh, thanks Willy.

LouP

I am probably going to face the same problem about the VR googles
    But I think I'm going to buy some anyways. I couldn't never get motivated to buy a TrackIR, but the Windows Mixed Reality VR googles (especially the Samsung ones, although not sold in Europe...) are a different story.

Flying low and slow over a nicely detailed area, like the area around an OrbX airport/airfield, or a nice photoscenery with autogen, is already so pleasant on a screen, so with VR it must be mind blowing...

I mostly fly choppers when I am checking out a scenery up close, or for some low and slow flights. I am pretty proficient in the air, but landing on a small pad is a different story .
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    I mostly fly choppers when I am checking out a scenery up close, or for some low and slow flights. I am pretty proficient in the air, but landing on a small pad is a different story .
    My most satisfying small pad landing was Eldred Rock Lighthouse (south of Haines, AK). I can't recall now if comes with ORBX SAK, or whether it's a RTMM add-on, but it's a tiny island with just enough room for the Lighthouse and a commensurately small timber helipad. Took me quite a few <cough> passes before I got a nice touchdown there.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 640px-Lighthouse_on_Eldred_Rock%2C_Alaska.jpg  

Rotarys are great - they get you where nothing else can...

Jim

Now that this poll is over, I do have to report that I am in the minority, while 35% of us reported that we fly fixed wing almost exclusively, that means that 65% fly helicopters at least some of the time, including 5% most of the time.

Interesting results and stories, thanks mates!
    Joe Cusick

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Now that this poll is over, I do have to report that I am in the minority, while 35% of us reported that we fly fixed wing almost exclusively, that means that 65% fly helicopters at least some of the time, including 5% most of the time.

Interesting results and stories, thanks mates!

Yes, indeed Pug Dog, thanks for posting the thread - it has sparked some interesting discussion - and that's always good.

It has been interesting reading. I guess the takeaway might be that the more you fly them - the better you get - and, as a consequence of that; the more sim time they seem to claim from you. Certainly the leaps in recent Carriers have got me flying them more but I'm an old VTOL bloke so always have a soft spot for something that can go straight up and down.

Great thread.
    Jim

Members who have read this thread: 0