i'm back again

Thread: i'm back again

i'm back again

Hi guys...I've been away from the flight sim community for a few years and now things have settled down enough where I can finally get back into one of my favorite THINGS TO DO...SO, I have a very fast laptop and it came with Win10 on it....I tried installing cfs2 and 3 and neither worked ALL I Wnt to do is fly...so are there problems installing fsx with Win10? and what is "Steam"? If I can do it Id just like to set up a simple install of FSX10 and get back into my suspension of disbelief...like I say, I have been absent from simming.... for several years and have some catching up to do....it's good to see some old familiar names around here!!!
    a
    There are 2 constants in the universe:
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Welcome back! If you already have the disc version to FSX then FSX-SE (Steam) isn't really necessary. Be sure, when installing either discs or Steam version, to keep it out of the default location under Program Files. Default location will make it hard to make any modifications to .cfg files or other things.

FSX-SE does go on sale every now and then for around $5.00, normal price is under $30. Check out FSX-SE here....http://www.dovetailgames.com/products
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Welcome back John!

Cees

Steam is a games distribution platform. Think of it as your new game store.

This is where you buy FSX Steam Edition: https://store.steampowered.com/app/3...Steam_Edition/

Just buy it and it will start downloading. You can re-download it infinite times. There's no activation. It's the same as FSX Gold edition.

A good thing if you buy on steam is to check for sales.

This website has been spot on for several years now, and I use it every time with pinpoint accuracy: https://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/

thanks for the tips....all I need to know now is if it is compatible with Win10?
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

[QUOTE=Cees Donker;1139859]Welcome back John!

Cees[long time no see....its a long story,LOL
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by middle View Post
    thanks for the tips....all I need to know now is if it is compatible with Win10?
    I can tell you for sure that FSX Steam Edition is fully compatible.

It's been a while since I used the standard physical copy, but my guess is that you can make it work too.

[QUOTE=middle;1139880]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Welcome back John!

Cees[long time no see....its a long story,LOL
    I'm following you on Facebook John...

Cees

Reply...

Middle,

Great to see you back! CFS2 will work with Windows 10, but there are issues to overcome. If you just want to fly, fly whatever sim works for you.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Hi John,

Welcome back. Knowing you, I think you are most interested in the compatibility of CFS3 with Windows 10 , But I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about that. I can however confirm that FS2004 and FSX (Acceleration) are compatible with Windows10 as I fly both without any problems. (My aging machine is actually causing most problems I have....)

New combat flightsim on the market are several IL2 releases. Available on steam there is the Cliffs of Dover Blitz version. Which is an absolute graphical work of art, but will not allow you the freedom from the older Microsoft products.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Hi John,

Welcome back. Knowing you, I think you are most interested in the compatibility of CFS3 with Windows 10 , But I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about that. I can however confirm that FS2004 and FSX (Acceleration) are compatible with Windows10 as I fly both without any problems. (My aging machine is actually causing most problems I have....)

New combat flightsim on the market are several IL2 releases. Available on steam there is the Cliffs of Dover Blitz version. Which is an absolute graphical work of art, but will not allow you the freedom from the older Microsoft products.

Chee
    Huub
    Hi Huub...these days I just want to get fsx set up and enjoy the scenery...plus its good for my head...do get cfs3 right it takes a lot of time...right now I'm downloading fsx from steam...five hour d-load I figured id give it a shot...yeh I heard IL2 was pretty cool...
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

[QUOTE=Cees Donker;1139899]
    Quote Originally Posted by middle View Post

I'm following you on Facebook John...

Cees

Hi Cees...yeh I see you on FB from time to time too...its been a few years since ive had a sim up and running...ill try out steam with fsx and see how it goes...
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Middle, it’s good to hear from you again! CFS3 can indeed run in Windows 10, head over to the CFS3 forum stickies for how to. You’ll smile at the solution after your years moderating that forum. Oh, and the guys will make you welcome as ever, the old lags are still the same old lags, but the latest mods for the sim are all new since you’ve been away: check out AnKor’s shaders for a visual treat.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

hiya Rami and Hairyspin....Guys,I successfully installed FSX on my laptop using Steam and it works great...so for now due to time constainta and the fact that i'm limited to wifi where I'm living, i'll have to hold off on cfs 3 for a bit. when I originally bought FSX, and Istill have the discs, I got it installed, it was running fine and then I installed some add-on and it got weird so I had to uninstall..when I tried to reinstall, because of MS's stupid code, I couldn't do it and I finally just gave up. It took me five hrs to download it with steam and it slipped by mean when it installed in the x86 program files, but all in all I'm satisfied for the moment...so thanks for the advice and tips..
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

If you want to move Steam and FSX-SE outside Program Files or Program Files (x86), the procedure in the following link worked perfectly for me:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7710-tdlc-0426

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KChapman View Post
    If you want to move Steam and FSX-SE outside Program Files or Program Files (x86), the procedure in the following link worked perfectly for me:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7710-tdlc-0426

Kevin
    thanks...i'll chk it out
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Members who have read this thread: 0