Memphis Belle - restored

Thread: Memphis Belle - restored

Memphis Belle - restored

What a great job restoring this Icon.

Sad I will never get to see it.

Anthin.

My Uncle flew B-17's in WWII , so this aircraft is dear to my heart. Happy to see this iconic girl getting a proper place to rest ! Mike

I've followed this pretty closely over the years and fortunately live just two hours away from Museum . Hope to make it there this summer and take a ton of pictures . I've made couple dozen visits over the years .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

The "Belle" deserves nothing less.....
    Although she was Loved and admired on Mud Island; I think even more people will now get to see and adore her for what she is there at the Air Force Museum. The "Belle" is surrounded by other historic aircraft and displayed in her element with proper reverence. Long before there was a movie with the name. The "Memphis Belle" was known as the most famous B-17 ever built. It is a shame that Col. Bob Morgan didn't get to see this for himself. I was lucky enough to meet and heard him speak about a year before he passed. Col. Morgan pleaded with the crowd to "Save the Belle." He wanted her moved someplace out of the elements and preserved for future generations. He was troubled by the weathering and vandalism she had suffered and was afraid she'd rot away out there. FedEx was trying to do their part to save it... but it wasn't enough. I don't think anyone at that time would have believed the "Belle" would leave Memphis, let alone end up in Dayton. Mission Accomplished Colonel Morgan...

I'm very happy to see her restored and preserved for the enjoyment and education of generations to come.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If there is anyone who hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iklskql58yM&t=5s
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Blog Entries
    Memphis Bell is a beauty. I love the B-17F. I'm sure the chin turret was nice to have in the G model but the Belle looks brand new now!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I agree with Ted. The F is sleeker and sexier than the G, in the same way as the 109e or f is prettier than the G with its lumps and bumps.

David
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I agree with Ted. The F is sleeker and sexier than the G, in the same way as the 109e or f is prettier than the G with its lumps and bumps.

David
    I couldn't have said it better. The B-17F is elegant.

For anyone who may be interested and wasn't aware, back in February the National Archives made available on Youtube the original color footage outtakes from the wartime "Memphis Belle" documentary, most of which had hardly ever been seen before by the public. 30+ sets of film, most which are about 20-minutes a piece (only a very small fraction of which was actually used in the documentary - I believe all of the combat footage was shot over the course of three missions): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLugwVCjzrJsUYPKoEFkYjLAEgxWEWVqmQ

The USAF Museum used this abundant amount of footage to accurately reproduce the markings on the restoration, to depict the aircraft just as it looked after completing its 25th mission, without any of the additional markings that were added later (for the war bond tour). Although they didn't want to try and depict any "patina" or wear & tear in the finish on the restored "Memphis Belle", they did make the finish of the OD on the fabric control surfaces lighter to match the same style of fading seen originally in '43, and made the shade of OD on the main vertical fin/tail section a bit darker (since, as I recall, it was a replacement section, following damage on one of the missions). Also, on the restoration, where as on engines #2, 3 & 4, all of the prop blades have stencils, the stencils aren't applied to the prop blades on the #1 engine, since it can be seen in original footage around the time of the aircraft's 25th mission that the stencils on those prop blades had worn off, though they remained present on the rest of the blades.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

I'm sure many Luftwaffe pilots also preferred the "F" over the "G".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I'm sure many Luftwaffe pilots also preferred the "F" over the "G".
    Which is exactly why I said the chin turret must have been nice to have in the "G" but for looks I love the "F".
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

The chin turret adds some visual weight to the otherwise very plain and featureless nose of the "F" and especially acts as a counterweight to the dorsal turret to make the fuselage appear more balanced in the vertical axis. Longitudinally, it kind of acts as a counterweight to the huge vertical tail.

Man, now I want to do something involving B-17s. If only B-17 FF2 had larger formations...

Members who have read this thread: 0