Northrop P-61C Black Widow project - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Northrop P-61C Black Widow project

Another nice video while waiting for the "real" thing, this is looking fantastic! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZtg29VNTHM
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dharris View Post
    Another nice video while waiting for the "real" thing, this is looking fantastic! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZtg29VNTHM
    Excellent video. Poor guy confused a few P-38s for P-61s but it ewas none the less, quite well made and presented.. Thank you
    Pam

A minor update: I'm working on the interior enhancements but made an error and joined ( welded ) the interior to the exterior before applying texture maps. Fortunately I do have back-ups but it means repeating two days' work to weld the cabin sections again On the bright side, the cockpit looks much more "alive" now with 3D bolts in place. Interior textures will be of the chipped-paint variety for that worn look.

The P-61C release date is now August due to the set-back and my being away for a weekend ( when I usually get most modelling work done ) but everything is otherwise going to plan. I'll post here again when the cabin work is complete and I'm on the home run to the finish.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolts.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post

Simply stunning piece of work. Thank you for all involved in making this project come to fruition.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

It's looking fairly fantastic! You can drop one in my Sim, too!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    It's looking fairly fantastic! You can drop one in my Sim, too!
    Very soon now me thinks.. theres just one final FDE with one change on it to be tested. shouldnt take too long. maybe 2 minutes.. Once the team does that and gives the thumbs up, its ready to go..
    What to look forward too..
    A 2250 (2800 w/WEP ) base HP engine with a completely redesigned by Pratt and Whitney, Anti detonation system that lets the engine go to 73 in/Hg MP for aabout 20 minutes, but giving you a top speed of 430 MPH. A cruise speed of about 360 MPH. 150 MPH climbouts :LOL:: sorry about that, but thats all the plane could do.. No Nose wheel steering, though if people want to add it I am happy to explain how.
    And those are the bad things. The good things???? Too many to mention. What can I say. It's a Northrop. It's a P-61. Mustang may have been the Cadillac of the skies, but this is the Rolls Royce. It maneuvers easily, trims easily, flies like a homesick angle and does everything but pour your coffee..
    Oh and yeahhh, one last thing. Dont let an engine die below a thousand feet on takeoff. It'll ruin your whole day..

Oh and yeahhh, one last thing. Don't let an engine die below a thousand feet on takeoff. It'll ruin your whole day...
    Glides like a brick?? I'm designating you for 2nd seat......How loud can you scream???
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I am continually amazed at the model making, texturing, and flight modelling talent that is featured at SOH. And all of this is offered for free to the flight sim community! I'm thinking about giving up on GA sim flying and just fly warbirds and vintage FSX aircraft. There is more than enough here to keep me busy for years.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I am continually amazed at the model making, texturing, and flight modelling talent that is featured at SOH. And all of this is offered for free to the flight sim community! I'm thinking about giving up on GA sim flying and just fly warbirds and vintage FSX aircraft. There is more than enough here to keep me busy for years.
    Awwww.. Thanks Stan .
    Have you tried Flight 1's Citation Mustang yet??? That thing is just the sweetest little ball of fun. Worth checking out..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Glides like a brick?? I'm designating you for 2nd seat......How loud can you scream???
    Nahhhh.. Glides like an overweight sea gull.. but your not going to reach full rpm till your at about a thousand feet and if you lose power, your toast..

Nahhhh.. Glides like an overweight sea gull.. but your not going to reach full rpm till your at about a thousand feet and if you lose power, your toast..
    Wow, thats quite the takeoff then, do you have to slowly continue to feed power through the takeoff roll and on climb to reach full RPM? Why wouldn't you just keep toes on brakes until you get to max? or was that frowned upon
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Blog Entries
    I dont really have any answers for those questions.. I suppose you could stand on the brakes till it started pulling the plane, brakes and all, but in general, it's a slow engine to run up. Your prop weighs 800 pounds and the engine was originally used in the P-61B before they modified the anti detonation system. Plus, the plane weighs 29000 pounds. thats 2000 pounds more than the P-61B ( which is 7000 pounds more than a B-25 ) and yet we have only 2250 x2 HP ( same as the 61B ) to use for takeoff if you arent using your WEP. You can get it in the air at 90 MPH using full flaps sure, but you max speed with those is 175 mph. Also, you havent developed a whole lot of lift at takeoff..
    Now, Normally, the P-61 series takes off at 110 MPH without flaps. Best rate of climb is 2300 fpm and best speed is 150 mph. If you lose anengine at that point, you cut your power in half and create a situation where there just isnt any lift on the wing with the dead engine, and although you can easily fly the P-61 series on only one engine, you have to recover from the stalled wing, and a thousanf feet simply isnt enough room to do that in at those speeds.
    As for RPM?? ::shrugs:: Youve got a very heavy and big fighter with two heavy engines and heavy props trying to pull all that weight uphill.. even the takeoff roll is a matter of overcoming inertia, and theres a lot to overcome. Not even jets reach full N1/N2 on the takeoff roll, and the P-61 is far older technology..
    Thats honestly the best i can come up with today. I hope it answers at least part of your question..
    Pam

(snip)
    Thats honestly the best i can come up with today. I hope it answers at least part of your question..
    Pam
    it does! looks like it will be worth some experimenting
    I'm going to have a field day when it comes out, thinking about doing some repaints for nose art

Awwww.. Thanks Stan .
    Have you tried Flight 1's Citation Mustang yet??? That thing is just the sweetest little ball of fun. Worth checking out..
    No, I have not, I have not even transitioned to jets. Still plying the virtual skies with piston, and occasionally turbine, powered props. I spent quite a bit of time in Carenado's Seneca II, a little time in their Baron 58 and Navajo. I do have their King Air 200 and Citation 550S, but have not yet warmed up to either of them. I do like the Flysimware C402 as I can run passenger or freight charters with that aircraft. I recently bought the Captain Sim weather radar for FSX, so now I can fly it with a working wx radar.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Blog Entries
    awesome. and congrats on the radar. I want a weather radar for my copy of the P-61 but payday's next week and gods know if i'm intelligent enough to install it..
    Now, I would hardly call the Mustang a jet.. A C-208 actually flies about 15 knots faster.. Cessna calls it an entry level jet. I would almost call it a civillian trainer. It's stable, gentle on the nerves, and has great short field characteristics. Takeoff is easy and landing is smooth as silk.. It literally is one of my all time favorite aircraft. I own it for FSX and X-Plane.. It's just too good to pass up..

Just for fun...

All three Sim Outhouse Northrop birds on a dispersal at the same time: Robert's P-61B Black Widow, the P-61C Black Widow, and the RF-61C Reporter.

It was quite tricky to get all three airplanes in the same shot as they're quite large!

I'm back on track with the Widow model now, final touches going in and preparing for adding TacPack cannons for those that wish to use them. I've removed the instrument bezels from this version as some folks wanted to jiggle instruments about. The last piece of modeling I need to do is the slightly different rear seats and the binocular / night vision assembly that accompanied them. I think that I'll assign a visibility condition to these as they're quite bulky and will obscure the view from the cockpits, allowing users to remove them as and when they feel like it ( neither will be functioning in any way so they're purely for cosmetic realism ).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Blog Entries
    Thats an awesome Pic.. Thank you
    been wanting one for quite some time.. I guess you could say theyre my three babies.. Well, mine and Pauls .. You and Robert gave them form and substance. Paul and I gave them a heart, breath and muscle ( Maybe a little too much here and there but heh, i'm old and senile and full of shenanigans. Allow an old fart their harmless amusement ).

Theres a new FDE in the usual place. I fixed some temps in it. The thunderstorm texture is also there.. People seem to have taken a liking too it round here.. yup..

wait, did I miss a moment when there was a "B" available?

Blog Entries
    Annnnd for everyones enjoyment. Perhaps maybe the first in sim tornado caught on film or rather bits and bytes..

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    wait, did I miss a moment when there was a "B" available?
    The "B" model has been in development for some years but hasn't yet been released. Robert's got lots of projects on the go I think so he'll get around to finishing that one when he gets the time. It's a beautiful model

OK folks, modelling on the P-61C is complete, external and interiors all done now and crewed up. Visibility conditions are in place for the crew also. I think it's a wrap - now for final texture adjustments, and TacPack files for the guns. The manual will also be updated from the Reporter's version to one specific to the P-61C, which had the same powerplant but very different weights and balances which Pam has expertly included in the updated FDE.

Some final images before the launch, hopefully in a week or two now. Enjoy the piccies

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg   Untitled2.jpg   Untitled3.jpg   Untitled4.jpg  

It's looking real good! Are you including a can of paste wax to keep it shiny?

Exceptional work..!....

Members who have read this thread: 2