New P40-B uploaded - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New P40-B uploaded

Thank you, Huub Vink!

No problems Clive. Thanks for your hard work getting this into CFS3!

@Gosd - It's just a matter of taking the original bitmap and copying/cutting/cropping/resizing bits of it. Then placing them to the corresponding part on the CFS3 texture sheet to make it fit.

After many, many hours of frankensteining pieces of textures together, I believe I have a workable solution to marrying the Catney template to the CFS3 model.

What I did was take the original Catney Photoshop template and reduced it by 2048 to make it more manageable on my PC. After making a skin, I saved it as a BMP and cut pieces from that BMP to port over to the CFS3 texture. Those pieces were then resized/repositioned to match the model. It ain't perfect but everything stitches together nicely.

More to come.

I believe a P-40C was mentioned?

Sorry for being redundant. My point that I forgot to make was: Once you have the scale formula then it's just a matter of pasting bits of an image over the original Tomahawk texture. Twelve parts in all (wings, fuselage, rudders, . . .), very, very time consuming but the results are very, very good.

The bottom flaps/ailerons and rudders are proving to be a little difficult due to the texture mapping, will have to work around them somehow.

Some WIP's:

Would like to get in deeper at some point with effects/gun_grps/ammo for different B's and C's.

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi All,

Looking very good Barry, your right its a time consuming thing working out the positioning. I have started a simple Paint Shop Pro template which I set to 2048x2048 pixels and then imported each of the 4 base sheets for a given repaint and labelled the layer to match. After trial and error aligning the images it gave me the X and Y co-ords for each section and now it shouldnt be too hard to convert the rest of the repaint skin set by dropping each sheet into its corresponding place in the template.
    The hardest part being the resizing of the elevator and tail plane area. its by no means perfect but a good starting point if people want to take it further. I can upload to SOH if interest is there. Gimp, PSD will both open a PSP format file.

Hi Clive,
    great job mate, I did notice two small issues. the air speed gauge is not working and when using TrackIR I can see a grey semi transparent circle moving about the point of axis. its linked to the cowling/canopy, if I open the cowling/canopy it slides back out of the way and you don't see it anymore. I attached two picks and put a yellow line just above the edge of it in each.

regards Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot12-10-18-19-28-32.jpg   Shot12-10-18-19-28-27.jpg   tomahawk_II.jpg   template.jpg  
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Winters View Post
    I can see a grey semi transparent circle moving about the point of axis. its linked to the cowling/canopy, if I open the cowling/canopy it slides back out of the way and you don't see it anymore. I attached two picks and put a yellow line just above the edge of it in each.
    if I am getting it right, it could be the part of moving canopy is external model related, still is not excluded from VC view - to be invisible there. such things are fixable at the gmax project, cockpit vs cockpit_virtual also f_canopy vs vc_canopy items hierarchy.

Ive had such problem with my latest project - Ive just forgot to put the f_canopy stuff under the main cockpit node

Blog Entries
    Wow! Great work Barry!

Would like to get in deeper at some point with effects/gun_grps/ammo for different B's and C's.
    I already have the pylon positions so various B's and C's are do-able. Let me know what you need.

I did notice two small issues. the air speed gauge is not working and when using TrackIR I can see a grey semi transparent circle moving about the point of axis. its linked to the cowling/canopy, if I open the cowling/canopy it slides back out of the way and you don't see it anymore. I attached two picks and put a yellow line just above the edge of it in each.
    Thanks Rob, I'll get that sorted.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

They look really good, nice job!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Looks really great ! Like the P-40 series.Regards,Scott

Sorted the gun_grp's out in the M3D and XDP. Now has two 50cal's in the nose and four 30cal's in the wings.

Alignment of the tail textures is proving to be difficult but not impossible I think.

If someone with the appropriate knowledge would come forward and have a look at the scrape points and maybe add bent prop parameters to the flight model, that would be icing on the cake. I'm afraid I would just make a mess of it all.

@Capt. Winters - Upload it! You can never have too many templates The tail appears to be one left and right section but is really two for each side. Threw me off at first.

Clive did such an excellent job converting the A2A P-40, I am ashamed for having bypassed this without going beyond the initial texture issue.

First crack at converting Huub Vink's skins. Overall a very good fit, wings need some adjusting. In time, all will be converted

Nice work!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Members who have read this thread: 1