Router Question

Thread: Router Question

Router Question

Not quite an FS9 topic but I'm hoping for some ideas. There is a birthday coming up and a good router was suggested. The birthday boy has 150MB service, can have up to 8 devices running at the same time and he is a gamer, usually online combat type stuff. I'm told that something good can be had for $150 or less, I hope. Any ideas will be most appreciated.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

A terrific value today in consumer routers is the ASUS AC-66U_B1. It is a follow on to the original AC-66U, but the _B1 now uses the same dual core CPU that ASUS uses on the AC-68U. I still have the original AC-66U that was my router for 3 years without a single hiccup... it is now an Wireless Access Point (WAP) for my guest network and is still going strong but starts to choke after 120mbps. In my primary network I use 2 AC-66U_B1's as WAPs behind an Edgerouter Lite. I also have a 150mbps connection, and the B1's have no problem moving data on the 5GHz band at my provisioned speed of 180mbps (Comcast). We will have up to 10 devices on our network and they are no problem for the _B1 (most of them connect through the WAPs). At less than $100 the AC-66U_B1 is almost too good to be true! Certainly, it is a breath of fresh air in a consumer router field that is grossly overpriced and underperforming.

More info here: https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Dual-Ban...70_&dpSrc=srch

HTH and good luck,

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Thanks for the advice. I have further information now that he would like the device to be a router and modem in one package, which I believe the ASUS AC-66U_B1 is not. Is it equivalent in operation to get a separate modem? One device I found is a Asus DSL N66U which does both functions but I haven't found anything else.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Members who have read this thread: 0