Glowingheat B-58 in P3Dv4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glowingheat B-58 in P3Dv4

Yes I agree. Nothing was ever polished in service. This was meant to be 'straight out of the box' clean. I'm trying to learn how to get various effects with PBR. Figuring out how to get the correct level of shine is not as straightforward as it was with alpha and spec. PBR allows the shader to more accurately reflect light from an object. So for metal for instance, as the object moves relative to the light source, the metal changes colour as well as reflectivity and shine (pics 3 & 4 show this on the wings). First lesson with metal is that the diffuse (albedo) colour needs to be the actual colour of the metal; for aluminium this is nearly white (245,246,246). Putting less shine by darkening the smoothness channel actually shows as lighter (see wing panels) in some lights. Which makes detailing panel lines, rivets and scratches more challenging....

Next one will be duller.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    One of the few aircraft I bought long ago that I still enjoy flying. Cockpit could use a little updating but overall just smashing. Works fine in P3D also.

i just visited Pima air museum and the B-58 is beginning to look a little weather worn. Completely polished a few years ago for a “Air and Space” magazine article it now has some major water stains (in Arizona?) but mostly a dull aluminum look.

I so wish there was a Good B-58 in XP-11.

Bob

After a summer spent tinkering with PBR I (foolishly) decided to look back at what FSX did with the B-58. And liked it.....!

PBR certainly offers more opportunities for depicting realistic surface texture than non-PBR but there are difficulties. For one thing the light engine/shaders in P3Dv4.5 don't seem able to bring out the best in PBR, at least IMHO. Detailing lines and rivets to get just the right amount of texturing is a challenge, especially when you've no access to the real thing and only got a limited number of images to go on. Oddly this I think is why alpha/spec in FSX can work; PBR requires (again it seems to this old git) a far greater knowledge of how the real thing reacted to light to get it looking right. Here's Super Sue in PBR; there are minor upgrades to the texture but nothing really significant. See what you think....

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Looks great Dave!!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Nice work on the PBR. BTW, check out the updated shots of the Blackbird on Facebook (@Glowing Heat). It is looking super realistic with the PBR added as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Nice work on the PBR. BTW, check out the updated shots of the Blackbird on Facebook (@Glowing Heat). It is looking super realistic with the PBR added as well.
    Please note that this is a brand new mesh based on the A-12 mesh, not the 2008 model!

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Please note that this is a brand new mesh based on the A-12 mesh, not the 2008 model!
    Oh cool, I didn't know that. The images you have been showing looked very realistic, none the less.

I feel some rapid transcontinental crossings coming on in those images.

Members who have read this thread: 1