"Sabre"

Thread: "Sabre"

"Sabre"

I took the Milviz F-86F out for a flight around KMBS, featuring the excellent repaint by Skyhawk18 of the world's oldest flying jet, the F-86A 48-178 (N48178) owned by Dr. John Swartz of Heritage Air, based in Oklahoma.

Blog Entries
    Nice airport scenery. Nice repaint. That really is the oldest jet? I would have thought that one of the old British jets would be older?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Yes, it is the oldest jet still flying (as is widely reported), having been completed in February 1948. All of the British jets currently flying were built after that time. Gloster Meteor WA591 is reported to be the second-oldest jet flying, completed in 1949, which is also recently now based in the US (previously flown in the UK).

Of course the Paul Allen/Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum's original Me-262 (WkNr.500453) will takeover the title when it flies. It was completed/test flown by Messerschmitt on March 14, 1945. At present, the restoration of the aircraft is completed and just waiting for the final testing of the reproduction Jumo 004 engines to be completed (which has been taking some years now) and for the engines to be mounted to the airframe. They too also have an early F-86A under restoration to fly (49-1217).

Great shots John, and great info too.

The jet, paint and scenery are all spectacular. I have the jet and the scenery, now I might go get the paint.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Members who have read this thread: 0