OT: New WQHD Philips Monitor

Thread: OT: New WQHD Philips Monitor

SOH-CM-2020

OT: New WQHD Philips Monitor

I grabbed a new monitor on a 50% off special. It has the same config as Majormagee's - 34" WQHD format. OMG what a difference! The colours are so vivid, the cockpit glass looks so different, the sea water actually looks like water. And that is just the colour settings straight out of the box.

I think my old LG 24" monitor must have slowly lost it's colour over time. When I got it, it seemed so much better than the monitor it replaced.

Now I can see how some gurus get their amazing screenshots - like Wiekneira and others.

Philips BDM3490UC/75. I am using a DisplayPort 1.2 lead connecting video card to monitor - the only way to get the modest 60Hz maximum refresh rate. Had a few problems with the speaker config, and am still trying to sort out the damage caused by unplugging the audio in cable whilst everything was powered up. Doh

Yes, a modern LED will drop to about 75% of its original efficiency in 5 years at typical operating temperatures. Recalibrating can help, but eventually you reach a limit where you need to start over with a new unit.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Ah yes built in redundancy. Gone are the days of things lasting forever. I remember my Mum, she rented a TV in about 1962. She still was renting it 15 years later. It was B&W and she must have paid for it several times over. I watched the Armstrong Moon Landing on that thing with its 14" screen.
    Yes rented! That was a thing in 1960's Britain.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

SOH-CM-2020

FOV?

Oh the joys of planned obsolescence .

Hey Majormagee, what are your FOV settings in the Shaders 30 .ini? I found that flying my trusty Tiffie in my Stock Testbed, the cockpit view just seemed to expand to fill the new monitor when using FOV 40. I have upped FOV (circa 60?) and now there is a little bit to see to left and right of cockpit, but I think I will try something a bit more extreme, like FOV 80?

The FOV setting in d3d8.ini is only for the external view, and lower values work better for wide-screen monitors, as they narrow the view to produce a "normal" perspective. I currently have mine set to 30.

The in-cockpit FOV is set in the ViewUI.xml. I currently have mine set to FovScale="0.4" in an attempt to have the size of nearby objects appear the same if I switch between inside and outside views. This is not a universal fix as some cockpits are modeled at a different default view distance and that throws the scaling off.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks Majormagee

me too need to change my very old monitor .....acer al1917 .....any suggestion ? i have see a monitor omen by hp 32 inch . it is good ?

Members who have read this thread: 0