Current state of naval / tactical aviation simulation?

Thread: Current state of naval / tactical aviation simulation?

Hybrid View

Current state of naval / tactical aviation simulation?

Hello all,

This is a very broad question and not FSX specific, but I didn't really know where to put it and many of you frequenting this forum seem well versed in the topic so I thought I'd try here. I apologize if it's the wrong place.

I also considered asking in the current thread going about naval aircraft, but I guess it's broader than that and I didn't want to hijack his thread :-).

I've recently gotten (re)interested in military / tactical aviation sim. My primary interest is naval aviation with realistic carrier ops. I didn't realize how good FSXA was in this regard! With vlso, AI carriers, Javier's Nimitz... Geez, good times!

So I'm definitely going to grab some more detailed planes for carrier ops; probably starting with the FSXBA Hornet but I imagine eventually grabbing the Superbug as well (I like systems depth / abnormals etc). But this has gotten me wondering about the general state of tactical sim. Back in the day I greatly enjoyed Falcon 3.0 (I'm old lol). So I'm wondering - is there a platform that combines the realism and depth of carrier aviation and aircraft in FSX with actual tactical missions and strategy, weapons deployment, being shot at etc?

I've been googling and this is the understanding I've arrived at; I wanted to check it with the experts and see what I'm missing.

1. For actual combat ops, DCS seems the best. But carrier aviation seems greatly lacking... From what I understand, no moving carriers, no IFLOLS, no ILS, no LSO etc. True?
    2. Tackpack in FSX enables weapons deployment and causes SAMS to be launched at you, but there's no air - to - air action (unless in multi-player against other players), and also no specific missions you're assigned or a campaign mode? Is that right?
    3. Fsx@War provides mission assignments and kind of a campaign mode? But still no air-to-air? And apparently the project is going away anyway because of a falling - out between collaborators?

So, for someone who's first priority is realistic carrier ops in a jet with a realistic flight model and systems , but who also wants to try flying some assigned missions... It seems FSX with a good tackpacked jet, a good moving carrier, vLSO, and @war is the best available combination? Accepting the lack of air-to-air?

Please chime in if there's any options or combinations I'm missing, or if any of my above understandings are incorrect. I want to make sure I understand the best option before buying software and going down the rabbit hole of a study level tactical jet.

I know that's a big question. Thanks for any help!

Not sure if your aware but there are several Naval Groups, including our own(www.usnva.com )that are thriving quite nicely. We use joinfs which allows cross platforms (FSX;Accc,FSX;Steam and all versions of P3D and X-plane. So to think we’re not out there doing all and every aspects of Naval Avation your wrong
    Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

I would also add to the above, that Air to Air Combat is alive and well. For training, all you need is a drone which is provided by the Tacpack addon. You can program that drone to go straight and level or maneuvering. There is in addition to the Tacpack, FSX@War, and CCP an addon that adds AAA/FLAK to the mix. Its called FSCAI, from FSCaptain. I haven't done much multiplayer, but now that I'm building SimObjects I'm painfully aware how hard it is to get these aircraft and other add-ons to work in multiplayer.

The multiplayer engagements against a human opponent are still the only way to do simulated dogfighting. So from that perspective your right about the multiplayer stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-86 Gun Kill on Drone.jpg  
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Tacpack and FSX@War with the addon; CCP (Carrier and Convoy Planner). It allows you to set up the enemy - set him on a trajectory (moving ground vehicles, AI aircraft, etc ) and then you can plan your frustrations of his intentions - on the ground and in the air too. You can save the campaigns to continue fighting later, get assessments of your performance and strategy, etc. It's a steep learning curve but pretty good when you get it.

Get yourself some really good aircraft. Dino F-35 and soon to be released Queen Elizabeth (there's a thread around here somewhere).

Or go retro and grab the SSW Harrier AV-8B and bung it on Nimitz.

With Tacpack and FSX@War with CCP integration it moves the bar significantly upwards. Adrenaline will flow.

See you up there.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

1: I believe DCS is going to take a step up with the release of the F/A-18C.

3: Correct on what FSX@War currently offers. However, it isn't entirely going out. Cougar is starting a new version but the previous programmer Motus is not going to be involved.
    -JB

DCS is fine, if you want to limit the theatre to just 300sq. miles we prefer to use the whole globe and with orbx scenery ( i’m usiing P3Dv4.2)and the fact with our dedicated servers we can sail our Carriers from ocean to ocean. And I doubt the dcs horent is any match to the awesome VRS SUPER BUG
    Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    DCS is fine, if you want to limit the theatre to just 300sq. miles we prefer to use the whole globe and with orbx scenery ( i’m usiing P3Dv4.2)and the fact with our dedicated servers we can sail our Carriers from ocean to ocean. And I doubt the dcs horent is any match to the awesome VRS SUPER BUG
    Oh yes it is.

Members who have read this thread: 0