Consolidated PBY-6A Fire fighter/water bomber & civil PBYs - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated PBY-6A Fire fighter/water bomber & civil PBYs

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    ...Now a two big Questions to Mick did you experiance problems when you installed the smokesysten into your Cat?
    When not how did you? because I wonder if these problems I have do not come from a bug in my sim.
    It does not appear on other planes.
    Now the perhaps interesting Question for you Mick: are you interested that I try to male a 2D panel in 1024X768
    resolution? If you want it I will try to do it but I cannot promise that it will work ...
    Yours
    Papi
    For the water drop, I just added the water drop effect to the [smokesystem] section like I would add a smoke effect, as it has been done in other fire bomber models. I use all zeroes for the coordinates since the water drop doors are close to the centerline, close to the model's center, and the vertical setting doesn't work in FS9 When I want to drop water I will use the tail hook command to open the drop doors and the smoke command to drop the water.

I'm using an effect that I don't really care for but it's the best I have. A better one has been suggested but I don't have that one. I hope better than what I have will be included when the water bomber is released. I have at least one slurry effect that works nicely, perhaps the one shown in your screen shot, but PBY tankers were water bombers and I don't think they ever carried slurry. They filled their tanks by skimming lakes, scooping up water, like in the opening sequence of Always, not by filling up with slurry from a truck at the airport.

Thank you for the offer, but there's no need to make a 1024x768 panel, especially since you don't have a monitor in that aspect ratio. I'm very content with the existing panel. It would be a lot of work for you and I'm happy with what I already have.
    Last edited by Mick; May 9th, 2018 at 10:54.

PBY water drop

Hallo Mick,
    So the problem with the water drop effect that appears must be somewhere on my pc
    grrrrrrrrr !!!!!
    The astonishing thing is that no other aircraft does have this behaviour.
    With my modified gauge it not only opens the water release doors and drops the water,
    it changes also the aircraft behaviour because it is lighter than - ot "heavier" befor the drop.
    Mick if you are happy with the old panel -I will have a lot to implement this gauge into the original VC.
    When you makes the changes I suggest you fire fighting will be a lot more interessant.
    To fly the load heavy Cat over the Riviera mountains or over Croatia will be very interesting.
    And just when she drops she is like making a little "hop" upwards..
    I will try to send the panel to Shessi how he indicated me to do - If it doesnt go I will post it here
    Yours
    Papi

PBY-6A repaint "wrap effect"

Mick,
    as you see I tried to repaint the Cat with the color of the SECURITE CIVILE.
    This repaint is on my knowledge purely fictious as the SECURITE CIVILE never did use the Cat.
    Only it's forecomer the Protection Civile and their Cats never has been in yellow dress.
    Now the problem:
    the left side is allright, but on the right side it is as the left texture side wraps over to the right side.
    When I'm at home towards 23:00 I will send a screenshot to schow what I mean.
    Yours
    Papi

Mick,
    as you see I tried to repaint the Cat with the color of the SECURITE CIVILE.
    This repaint is on my knowledge purely fictious as the SECURITE CIVILE never did use the Cat.
    Only it's forecomer the Protection Civile and their Cats never has been in yellow dress.
    Now the problem:
    the left side is allright, but on the right side it is as the left texture side wraps over to the right side.
    When I'm at home towards 23:00 I will send a screenshot to schow what I mean.
    Yours
    Papi
    I saw your screenies in earlier posts so I know what you mean. I hadn't run into the problem myself because I haven't painted any skins that have markings on that part of the plane.

It's a mapping issue. Those old AlphaSims model have plenty of mapping issues! You'll see some when you look at the tail markings on any of my skins on the model in the sim, then look at the tail textures and see how different they look!

There's another one that you'll see if you look at the nose of the plane with your Calypso skin. If you look at the little cover over the bomb aimer's window, you'll see that it's different colors on the right and the left halves. It can't be fixed in the textures without making a more visible error elsewhere.

Maybe Mark can fix the fuselage sides, or maybe not. Some of these mapping issues have been fixable and some not. Mostly not, it seems. I would be very annoyed if I bought the plane, but since AlphaSims gave it away for free
    , I'm happy to have it.

PBY textures

Good evening Mick,
    just came home from the job and hop to the pc and working on the Cat.
    I hope also that Shessi can do something about the mapping.
    I agree tataly with you - I' m also glad to have this good old Cat from Alpha.
    Even its issues I clarly prefer it to Mike Stone's one. So far you know me I cannot
    feel happy with this old "cartoon like" panel. Also it is a real gimmick their switch to change grom MAP to RPM
    Womder how they came to this idea. In fact it was the first thing that pushed me to make a new panel.
    I would like to know a pilot who did fly this bird to hae some infos about the flight dynamics.
    I believe her not to feel "heavy" enough But all in all I love her and with the lot of work Shessi did put in her
    she is a fine girl.
    I will search if the french"pelikan" Cats has been -5A or -6A. I almost did that real repaint for the -5A but would it work for the -6A will ne another challenge.
    Yours
    Papi

PBY-6A California Water Bomber

Hallo Mick,

what do you think about,
    certainly not perfect and a bit tricky to do
    Yours
    Papi

PBY-6A Tanker original panel mods and effects

Hallo Mick,
    I will try to send you the panel modifications (of course for you in 1024X768) of the original panel
    I did two very minor mods, just changed the engine gauges and added my waterdrop gauge - also you will have these mods
    on the VC.
    Also included the needed three four gauges, effects and the california Ater Bomber texture
    Yours
    Papi

Members +
    Looking good... So, do I take a new install of the 6A & put in the 2 new panel & texture downloads?
    Should I delete the sections of the aircraft.cfg that refer to the SC, white & silver paints?

Hallo Mick,

what do you think about,
    certainly not perfect and a bit tricky to do
    Yours
    Papi
    Hi Papi,

Is that a PBY-6A dressed up as a -5A?

Except for the tanker number on the tail, 114 instead of 115, and a digit of the registration number, it looks like the skin that came with the original AlphaSims PBY-5a depicted Airborn Fire Attack's "California Water Bomber," which really was a -5A. That plane crashed in 1997 and was replaced by a -6A that wore the same tanker number and had a registration number that was different by only one digit, but none of the company titles or airplane name..

None of the photos I )or Mr. Google) could find of the -6A had the company titles of the "California Water Bomber" name. The only image Mr. Google could find for me of the -6A with the company name and plane name was a screen shot of a skin someone painted for an FSX model. The lack of photos pf a real -6A in those markings strongly implies that the FSX skin is fictional. I suspect that the painter just changed the tanker number to make it look like a different plane. I think the clincher is that (s)he didn't change the registration - the -6A skin has the same registration number as the real -5A, N322FA.

For myself, I will keep the -6A skin that matches all the photos. They show the real Airbprne Fire Attack -6A as it looked for at least some of the time when flown by Airborne Fire Attack and as it certainly has looked since then, in the fleet of the Commemorative Air Force. I'll keep the "California Water Bomber" livery on the -5A model, which is the only real PBY version that I believe wore those markings.

Hallo Mick,
    I will try to send you the panel modifications (of course for you in 1024X768) of the original panel
    I did two very minor mods, just changed the engine gauges and added my waterdrop gauge - also you will have these mods
    on the VC.
    Also included the needed three four gauges, effects and the california Ater Bomber texture
    Yours
    Papi
    Thanks Papi,

I'll check out your panel, although I'm quite happy with the existing one. I don't need the drop doors or water drop commands on the panel because I would be in Spot view when dropping water, so I would use the keyboard commands.

I don't need the California Water Bomber skin because I already have the California Water Bomber skin on the -5A, which is the version that really wore that livery. I'm pretty certain that those markings are fictional for a -6A, as explained in my other post. As I wrote there, the only image Google could find of a -6A in those markings was a screenshot of an FSX skin, none of a real -6A.

WIP

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Looking good... So, do I take a new install of the 6A & put in the 2 new panel & texture downloads?
    Should I delete the sections of the aircraft.cfg that refer to the SC, white & silver paints?
    Hi Zswobbie1,

all what I posted concerning the PBY-6A especially the Tanker / Waterbomber are just works in progress and no definitive versions,
    The Master of the PBY's is Shessi and I will see if he will make any more evolution on it before I post my definitive panel for it or if Shessi will include my panel in his final release.
    Please have a bit patience - there is still some work to do
    Yours
    Papi

Hi Mick, Papi,
    Got the model correct. Papi I have to agree with Mick about the skins, Mick's is correct for this 6A, please upload yours for the 5A is you want to, but Mick's are excellent.

Mick, I've really shined it up as you suggested, looks much better, and if you don't mind, I've added some weathering to the texs, and got rid of the rear windows, and added the correct side windows.

Texs and shine makes the look! (IMHO..ha!)

Papi,
    I've just added your panel, and I really like the idea, but although the water doors open on the panel button, the water pump/drop doesn't, it flashes when you click it, but does not stay on or drop anything.

If you can just make it simply work, then great, if not I think it will have be something you upload separately....

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PBY6A WB 4.jpg  

PBY-6A Tanker

Hi,
    I believe that I' m near to stop work on this work
    I did the red tanker repaint just to see that how it is possible to repaint the tail section
    I found two other tankers which seem to me to be -6A's
    I'm not sure to make the work to do them.
    The 2d panel which is based of an former picture from Gaucho is almost readdy.
    But does it really interest?
    I'm no longer certain that it would merrit to do all the work it needs to make a pack with Fire Eater and so
    Yours
    Papi

PBY Tanker Water drop

Hi Shessi,

The water drop system has evolated a bit since the first release.
    For a first look to see how it operates please try out the panel zip
    pby_original_panel_mods I posted recently. included are all the effects and the modified aircraft.cfg.
    It is needed to makes the changes in the lights and fuel sections to operate as it should.
    On the gauge there are two buttons/switches and in the middle a light
    When you start the plane with full external tanks all should work as follows.
    beginning your driop run at 200 feet over ground. Than click on the left button of the gauge (you may also hit the tailhook key)
    when the water drop doors are open the light in the middle of the gauge gets red/orange. Than click on the button right of this light,
    the plane drops his load of water / retardant.
    The panel I posted just today here was just for Mick, - but - - - -
    The complete panel is quiet other with a lot more functions.
    I will try to send it to you Shessi at latest on Sunday I hope that I can do it with high tail.
    Yours
    Papi

PBY-6A Tanker

Hi Shessi,

just some minutes ago I sended you the files via Hightail.
    It told me that all has been send.
    In fact it is the complete Fire Eater just with out the sounds
    Do you plan to make the operating water drop doors avaible also for the -5A' s ?
    Would be fine
    I tried to reduce the amount of gauges, but than it becomes a bit poor as the original.
    Also you will see I work with two ADF radios. It eases a lot navigation work.
    If you are interested with this panel I will also make a complete manual for it.
    Other wise if it doesn't interest I will close the panel project.
    Of course if you will have some suggestions to makes things better my ears are still open
    Yours
    Papi

ausgezeichnet!

Hi Papi,
    Ja...ausgezeichnet!

New civilian panel is superb, the water and fire retardant drop effect is good. Thank you.

I've turned off the exhaust flames and smoke trail as these are not realistic, if I had that going on I'd land very quickly! Ha!

Could you do a 'how to use/README' for the new panel?

If Mick, is ok, then we're getting close......

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    ...If Mick, is ok, then we're getting close......
    Cheers
    Shessi
    I'm all set. The last red bird skin I sent you is the final version; nothing more to do there. I'm happy to hear that you touched up those window details and added a bit of weathering. I'm no good at weathering, no good at all.

I also have a Calypso skin ready to go if you make a model with the civilian nose and the waist blisters.

...I found two other tankers which seem to me to be -6A's...i
    I would love to have skins of both of those planes. The work it would take to get the tanker numbers on the tails to show properly is intimidating due to the adjustments required by the mapping issue. They both have some markings that I can't see well enough to decipher, so that lets me off the hook!

PBY -6A to go final

Hallo Mick, Hallo Shessi,
    Hey Shessi do you speak german?
    I' m really very pleased you like my panel.
    Thats good for me.
    Allright if you find the exhaust effects un realistic - ok - you are the chief.
    Did you make the changes in the ac.cfg and also on the panel?
    or should I do so.
    If you want instead of those effects I can add anchor lights as they are shown in the official PBY -6A manual
    from US Air Force. Will not be a big problem as I have the manual
    Do you have it? If not I can send it to you.
    Allright, I have my last duty at work this night before I go home to brittany for two weeks on tuesday.
    So tomorrow I will sit on my pants and make you a complete manual. I hope I can send it to you tomorrow
    evening.
    Oh as Mick asked can we hope for the modell with the blisters on the side?
    And perhpse the water doors for the -5A?
    I' m sure your plane will be a HIT.

Yours
    Papi

PBY -6A tail repaint

Hallo Mick,

as you see on the style excercise on the my fictious Californian Water bomber I found a solution for the numbers on the Tail
    Here how I id perhaps it might help you:
    1. at first I did a copy of the VU-7 catalina
    2. than I wrote my wanted number exactly over the existing markings on the tail in an well contrasting color
    3. than I selected just those new numbers/ markings and copied them floating selectionthem exactly as they are to the fin texture
    of the water bomber
    4. I had to do it four or five times to find the exact position.
    5. For the right side exactly as same, but inverted (left to right) numbers/ markings
    I do not know why but it made me think to the film "Catch 22"
    I hope my trick might help you Mick
    Yours
    Papi

PBY-6A Tanker light effect mods

Hi Shessi, Hi Mick,

as recommanded by Shessi I delayed the engine exhaust effects and instead of them I added anchor lights as they are showed in the official manual
    joined the new aircraft.cfg and the modified cockpit rear wall
    Yours
    Papi

PBY-6A Tanker - scenery

Hi Shessi,

on some of your screen shots there is a fire scenery in the background, what scenery do you use?
    Yours
    Papi

PBY-6A out of the factory

Hallo Friends,

here she is now out of the factory ready for repaint
    I speeded a bit as I have to leave my home at 20:15 to go to work for this night
    Yours
    Papi

PBY-6A gear wells

Hallo Shessi,

by repainting a saw some thing strange:
    the gear wells semm to be turned 90 degrees.
    I tried to fix it but when I have it right on one side iti is wrong on the other side.
    For me not a great problem - I can live with it - but interesting
    Yours
    Papi

PBY Tanker 2D panel error fix

Hi Shessi,
    there is an error on the cockpit rear wall of the 2D cockpit,
    please change the bmp to that joined in the zip
    I'm working on the manual
    I hope you will get it this evening
    Yours
    Papi

Members who have read this thread: 0