Consolidated PBY-6A Fire fighter/water bomber & civil PBYs - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated PBY-6A Fire fighter/water bomber & civil PBYs

I noticed that the water drop doors don't work for me. I tried "Shift+T" as indicated in the post above, and I tried "," which is the tail hook key in my set-up, and neither of them opened the doors.

It's not a big deal for me, I can live without that feature, but I know they are intended to work.

Mick,

That's because you need the tailhook section in your ac.cfg file...here ya go!!

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Mick,
    That's because you need the tailhook section in your ac.cfg file...here ya go!!
    Cheers
    Shessi
    Ah ha! Thanks!

PBY 2D panel

Hallo Shessi, Hallo Mick,

I just uploaded to the site the panel
    it is called "PBY_Tanker_2D_Panel_WIP"
    it contains the texture for the tanker "FireEater",
    modified aircraft.cfg, and instructions
    I hope that solutions for the problems, issues can be found.
    Perhaps I did an error to say before that the waterdrop doors should open with the tailhook key
    perhaps they should with the water rudder function,
    In any case to have the water drop gauge to show completly I had to add the water rudder in the contact point section.
    Now I feel as "wipped out".
    I think I will smoke another cigarette and than fly a bit my rc-helicopter

Yours
    Papi

Stop Presses!

Hold on!

I just discovered that the mapping glitches that prevented me from adding the anti-glare panel to the Tanker 115 skin isn't an issue on the civilian nose!

I have successfully added the anti-glare panel and the weather radar nose to the textures.

Mark, as soon as I get through refining the shape of the anti-glare panel I'll send you the revised forward fuselages directly. That should be pretty quickly. Like minutes from now.

Mark, I sent you the new nose texture files directly, but in case you see this post before you see your e-mail, I'm also attaching them here.

The red bird now has its anti-glare panel and the weather radar radome on the tip of the nose.

Got the email, thanks.

Shessi

May I suggest that the water bombers, Calypso and any other civilian Cats would look a bit nicer with a touch of specular gloss?

What the Shiny program calls Semi-Gloss seems to be about right.

Consolidated PBY-6A Tanker - 2d panel

Good evening friends,

please tell me about the 2d panel what still can be done.
    The biggest problem is the high amount of gauges.
    But it will take weeks to find another solution.
    I prefer to work with gauges that have a "frame" are not "naked" as the original ALPHASIM
    gauges or those from those most used from Milton Shurpe.
    Also would be interesting about your meaning of the Fire eater textures
    Yours
    Papi

PBY Tanker

Hi Shessi,
    a perhaps bad question,
    but as I know nothing about fs aircraft building- - -,
    would it be a big problem to change the water drop doors function from "smoke key" to "water rudder" function key?
    Or perhaps you see where the bug with the appearing smoke effects is.
    Yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    Hi Shessi,
    a perhaps bad question,
    but as I know nothing about fs aircraft building- - -,
    would it be a big problem to change the water drop doors function from "smoke key" to "water rudder" function key?
    Or perhaps you see where the bug with the appearing smoke effects is.
    Yours
    Papi
    Papi,

The water drop doors are opened and closed with the tail hook animation key.

The smoke key function triggers effects, not animations. It triggers the water drop effect, not the doors.

PBY Tanker water drop

Hi Mick,

my intentions are the following:
    1. adding 2 External fuel tanks (water tanks) to simulate the tanker with its water on board
    2. than I added the water drop gauge from the Canadair CL 215,
    on the Canadair with the gauge first knob left you open the water drop door and
    the drop system is activated
    3. than on the Canadair you hit the switch right on this gauge you drop your water load
    in this moment at the same moment it empties the External tanks
    4. on my panel you will see this on the two gauges left of the engine controls
    5. I did perhaps an error when I asked Shessi to make the doors operating via the
    tailhook key - perhaps this gauge from the Canadairs wants the doors operating via
    the water rudder function
    For the moment the doors are operated via the tailhook key (T in my own config) or via
    the switch as indicated at the instruction picture. Than you have to operate the water drop
    via the waterdrop gauge, if you only hit " I " key and not the switch on the water drop gauge
    the external tanks would not be emptied.
    When flying with my configs you will start with full load and comming back with an ac with less
    the wight of the water you have droped
    when you have a look at the fuel payload before and after mission it works.
    To be perfect perhaps the doors function should be changed.
    Surely if you just want the visual effect that makes things quiet easier.
    On the other side an aircraft Shessy did gave so much evolution it might be fine
    also to go deeper in the systems.
    As I said at the beginning my panel is a WIP and constantly it is in evolution.
    For the moment I have two different fire drops.
    The one I discribed and using the effects Shessi recommanded and via an added wing lights switch
    I can drop red retardant, but this on has no effect on the watrtanks and is just visual.
    Main problem is still the effect that when the plane is on the ground and I open the throttles over
    1500 rpm the water drop effects appears making the plane taking off in a white big cloud
    I still try to find out the phenomene and why it does it not on the Canadair.
    Shessi I know you doesn't like the wide screen panels. but as I have also reworked the VC,
    with the waterdrop gauge at the top of the radiostack on the dash you perhaps should have a look.
    Yes I know it is very tiny.
    Yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Unnggghhhh...

First we had two sticky threads on the post-WW2 military Cats. That got pretty confusing.

Now we have one sticky thread about the military Cats, which nobody seems to be doing anything more with, and a NON-sticky thread about the water bombers that are actively being worked on. Still confusing.

I don't know who makes threads sticky or unusticky, but if whoever it is could make the active water bomber thread sticky and the apparently inactive military thread un-sticky, that would be a blessing for us old and easily confused types.

Mick,

The reason is actually quite simple. The military one has been officially released and the civil one has not yet been released to the general public (or did I miss something?). The stickies are used to announce new releases, and to ensure people can't miss these new releases, simply because the announcement has slipped down the list.

Normally I release a sticky after roughly a week. But like all staff here I'm a volunteer and have a real job and a real life as well. Which is why I can not always be around. What to make a sticky and how long to keep it a sticky has been discussed among the moderators and admins several times. In general we have chosen to limit the stickies to new releases only, because we want to avoid that half the front page of a forum only contains stickies.
    This is a general guideline, but not a law. So if I want to divert from this guideline I can.

I hope this clarifies things a bit,

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Mick,
    The reason is actually quite simple..
    I hope this clarifies things a bit,
    Huub
    Thanks Huub, that does clarify a bit.

Papi,

Nice job on the Fire Eaters skin!

I think I may have to watch "Always" again some time soon!

PBY Tanker Water drop

Good morning Shessi, Good Morning Mick,

woke uo at 01:30 instead 03:15 - I must be at work at 06:00.
    This Tanker is hunting me
    I will understand if Shessi is bored or tired with my demands,
    I will also understand if mick isn' t interested by my panels as they are not in the right format
    for him.
    I' m a bit sad about that with this plane Shessi did a lot of work on not to come to really good solution with the systems to work.
    I had a look in my hangars what I hae as fire fighters and there are the Canadair Cl 215, and the Cl 215Vo7 and the Grumman F7F tanker.
    On the Cl 215V07 the authors have pushed so far that there are modelled scopes to scope water again hovering at low level over the sea. And so refilling the tanks
    I tried to implement this system - it shuts my engines down! grrrr
    Easier is the system on the Grumman F7F tanker: it uses the front and back door (shift+E+1 and shift+E+2), the doors open and droping instantly red fire retardant - and as ou will see looking at the fuel management empties the concerned fuel (water) tanks.
    There is a gauge in the panel.cfg called "F7F!keys". I believe that instead front and rear door it might be possible to make the the rhings so that front and rear door will side by side instead one after the other. Before I try to explain perhaps it would be interesting to have a look on this plane
    What is enraging me is that I do not have the knowledge nore the tools to make the needed changes on the model.
    I have know six days of working on my job - and than two weeks of hollydays - where are my wife, my cats my son but no pc and no flightsim. hollydays pure !
    I' m a bit sad not to be able to furnish a good and satisfying solution from my side.
    Yours
    Papi

The film Alays from Spielberg

Hi,

I can only recommand this film!
    Beause the flying scenes are really well done and the stoy is as like a modern tale
    I felt behind all that only some one as Spielberg who himself is a private pilots can do such a film.
    realy very very nice
    sadly I do not have the film
    Yours
    Papi

PBY Tanker texture problem

Hi Shessi, Mick,

just before toleave to go to work,
    here a texture problem:
    it seems that at the midbody section the left texture covers over the right side texture
    seethe joined pic
    Yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    Hi,
    I can only recommand this film!
    Beause the flying scenes are really well done and the stoy is as like a modern tale
    I felt behind all that only some one as Spielberg who himself is a private pilots can do such a film.
    realy very very nice
    sadly I do not have the film
    Yours
    Papi
    "Always" is a remake of an old film called "A Guy Named Joe" that starred Spencer Tracy. It was made in 1943 and was set in a USAAF P-38 squadron. The writers of "Always" changed the P-38s to fire tankers and changed the war to modern forest fire fighting. And of course, they made Holly Hunter's character a woman. Spielberg didn't write "Always," but his direction certainly gave the film its flavor and impact. I haven't watched it for a long time, but it's one of my favorite aviation movies.

I saw "A Guy Named Joe" once, many years ago, and I wasn't impressed. I didn't like it enough to add it to my library. Spielberg told the tale much better!

"Always" is available on DVD and Blue-Ray, at least here in North America. But since I live in the US, when I look for it in Google Shopping, Mr. Google finds for me examples coded for Region 1. But since Spielberg and his films have international appeal, perhaps you might find it in Europe coded for Region 2. Or perhaps you have one of those DVD players like my friend has that doesn't read regional codes and will play anything...

PBY Tanker water drop system.

Hallo Mick,
    Hallo Shessi,
    I came home frome work at 15:30 (Time at munich)and directly sat down and started the PC.
    Than I searched about the water drop effect to appear when I push the engines over 1500 rpm when on the ground or even water.
    12 cigaretes later I' m very close to the solutions
    At first I tried out the original ALPHASIM Catalina with their original panels just added in the aircraft.cfg the smokesystem= the effect did appear. Also with shessies 100% original ac.
    hmmmm - so it seems to me that this phenomene did not come from my panel
    Allright, But I want to drop water, or retardant.
    So I used the old system from IRIS P-40's effect controller.
    The retardant is now a light and controlled via the brakes trigger, but only when the aircraft is airborne.
    allright that works
    Now to control the system: you can hit the tail hook key or (for you Mick it works also on the VC, the gauge is tiny but you see the buttons) the left button to open the water drop doors. Than you hit the right button on the gauge, you drop the water and the water gauges fall down to empty. As often you will hit the right button of the gauge you get the retardant to drop.
    If you use only the brakes trigger the tanks will not empty! you must almost click on the gauge to have the tanks to get empty.
    One time you dropped your charge for the moment the system is tilted, Even if you refill the tanks it will not allow you second drop.
    Tomorrow I will try if it might be possible to refill the tanks via the airport refueling systems and so to allow to fly another mission.
    Now I feel like getting out the washing maschine - I must take a sleep - tomorrow morning the night ends for me at 03:15 h time frome here.
    Yours
    Papi

A Guy Named Joe

Hi Mick,
    before going to bed I had a very fast look on you tube -
    oh I do agree and understand why you prefer the tale as shown by Spielberg !!!
    LOL
    Yours
    Papi doing zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz now

PBV Tanker, 2d panel and water drop systems

Good morning Mick,
    Godd morning Shessi,

so yesterday after work I made a good step forward with the panel.
    For the repaint - I hope that from the screenshot I posted you can see what happens and you can tell me
    if there is a solution for the problem.
    This evening I will have a bit more time to spend on the bird as tomorrow I have to work from 14:00 to 22:00,
    so I gain some hours.
    Now a two big Questions to Mick did you experiance problems when you installed the smokesysten into your Cat?
    When not how did you? because I wonder if these problems I have do not come from a bug in my sim.
    It does not appear on other planes.
    Now the perhaps interesting Question for you Mick: are you interested that I try to male a 2D panel in 1024X768
    resolution? If you want it I will try to do it but I cannot promise that it will work .
    Also I will see to reduce the different gauge sources using more the original PBY gauges - I will see.
    Greatest problem: time As my deadline will be monday as tues day I will be at home in brittany for two weeks and no pc no sime - hollydays pure with familly and miau miau cats
    Yours
    Papi

Members +
    Thanks, guys, I'm looking forward to this.

PBY evolutions

Hi zswobbie1,
    of course I cannot speak for Shessi, nore for Mick,
    but from my side it apears to make a suitable panel for the PBY is not so easy
    as I thought when I had the idea to make it.
    All the long its life the cockpits did a continious evolutions. Than as the Catalina was not build by one specific factory
    and in different countries there came also differencies.
    I was astonished when searching about photos or manuals how many variants with so different equipments were used.
    So I try to find the best functional compromiss. Than comes different duties, as warfare bird dropping torpedoes or bombs or here in this case water and retardant. All should be operational as possible.
    Shessi did a super work with the evolutions of the PBY he do them for us as freeware and he goes a lot further on as the commercial ones who released this bird. We should thank him a lot for that. Also Mick who spends a lot of time to
    give these birds adequate paints.
    And all that for FS2004 - that most "great creators" do completly ignore now.
    Just about four and a half hour to work and I will return to the PBY - - -
    Yours
    Papi

PBY SECURIE CIVILE droping

Hallo friends

a quick screeny
    And she drops as she should do
    Yours
    Papi

Members who have read this thread: 0