Naval aircraft.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naval aircraft.

Naval aircraft.

Been flying more and more FS recently after a few years of very little activity, my main area of interest being Naval aviation from the mid 50's onwards. So I was wondering what would be regarded as the most accurate representation of a naval jet we have available is, mainly from a handling perspective. I appreciate most on the forum are no more qualified to answer this question than myself but I also know there are a handful of retired/active naval aviators on the forums as well.

As great as some of the models we have are I can't help but feel many are a little too forgiving of mistakes, either engines are overly powerful or the flight models just don't stall the way they should, thus allowing me to just power out of screw ups that really should end with a swim. Might be a fundamental limitation of the Sim might be that some flight models could use a little work, not sure.

Craig
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

No question as to your answer: VRS Superbug.

Including failures that require working the realworld emergency checklists.

For "Exciting" and exacting flight model, the Milviz F-4J/S Advanced.

Hi Craig,
    have a look at the "Royale French Navy" website (http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia.fr/), it is totally naval aviation oriented...
    If you are looking for a naval jet from the 50s/60s, their Entendard IV is the one! (coupled with their Foch/Celemenceau carriers)
    Cheers,

Stéph.

I was going to suggest starting with Rob Richardson's Cougar (USN) and SeaHawk (RN) as freeware. Rob has some other Naval jets from the 50's as well.

From there you might want to look at the Vertigo Studios Panther and the Razbam Banshee for payware.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I probably should have clarified though I have a pretty full hanger as things are including most of those aircraft mentioned thus far. Its more a challenging and realistic flight model i'm looking for.

I already have the following (in no particular order):

RFN Alize
    RFN Etendard IVM/IVP
    RFN Fouga Zephyr
    Skysim Sea Vixen
    Flying Stations Buccaneer S1
    Flying Stations Wyvern
    Flying Stations Sea Fury
    UKMil Buccaneer S2
    IRIS F-14A/A+/B
    IRIS F-4K/FG.1
    Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 (all of them)
    Alphasim/Virtavia Scimitar
    Alphasim/Virtavia Crusader
    Vitrtavia A-4E/F/G
    Rollus Rafale M
    Dino C's F-14D
    Dino C's T-45C
    Dino C's F-35A/B/C
    Dino C's S-3
    Razbam Banshee
    Razbam A-7
    Vertigo Panther
    Rob R's SeaHawk
    Rob R's Scimitar
    Rob R's Sea Venom
    Rob R's Cougar

I also have an A-6 but can't remember if its the Virtavia or Razbam model.

Its quite possible I already have the most representative/realistic flight model listed in my hangar already, just not quite sure which is considered the best so to speak.

On the matter of F-4's I'm currently torn between the SWS F-4 and the Milviz offering.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

.... don't be torn, grab the SWS F4

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I probably should have clarified though I have a pretty full hanger as things are including most of those aircraft mentioned thus far. Its more a challenging and realistic flight model i'm looking for.

RFN Alize
    RFN Etendard IVM/IVP
    RFN Fouga Zephyr
    Skysim Sea Vixen
    Flying Stations Wyvern
    Flying Stations Sea Fury
    UKMil Buccaneer S2
    IRIS F-14A/A+/B
    IRIS F-4K/FG.1
    Vitrtavia A-4E/F/G
    Rollus Rafale M
    Dino C's F-14D
    Dino C's T-45C
    Dino C's F-35A/B/C
    Dino C's S-3
    Razbam Banshee
    Razbam A-7
    Vertigo Panther
    Rob R's SeaHawk
    Rob R's Scimitar
    Rob R's Sea Venom
    Rob R's Cougar

Its quite possible I already have the most representative/realistic flight model listed in my hangar already, just not quite sure which is considered the best so to speak.

On the matter of F-4's I'm currently torn between the SWS F-4 and the Milviz offering.
    NOW you tell us.

There's a few missing from your list such as the Aerosoft F-14X, Razbam Prowler, etc. I really can't comment on which is the most challenging and realistic not being a real pilot. I think that has a lot to do with what you are trying to do such as carrier landings or air-to-air refueling.

Lately, I've been flying a lot of helos which can be challenging if you try to land on a moving carrier using Carrier AI. No arrestor cable, but a little cross wind and you end up in the drink.
    -- WH

RFN Alize
    RFN Etendard IVM/IVP
    RFN Fouga Zephyr
    Skysim Sea Vixen
    Flying Stations Wyvern
    Flying Stations Sea Fury
    UKMil Buccaneer S2
    IRIS F-14A/A+/B
    IRIS F-4K/FG.1
    Vitrtavia A-4E/F/G
    Rollus Rafale M
    Dino C's F-14D
    Dino C's T-45C
    Dino C's F-35A/B/C
    Dino C's S-3
    Razbam Banshee
    Razbam A-7
    Vertigo Panther
    Rob R's SeaHawk
    Rob R's Scimitar
    Rob R's Sea Venom
    Rob R's Cougar

Great hangar Graig!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    NOW you tell us.

There's a few missing from your list such as the Aerosoft F-14X, Razbam Prowler, etc. I really can't comment on which is the most challenging and realistic not being a real pilot. I think that has a lot to do with what you are trying to do such as carrier landings or air-to-air refueling.

Lately, I've been flying a lot of helos which can be challenging if you try to land on a moving carrier using Carrier AI. No arrestor cable, but a little cross wind and you end up in the drink.
    Mainly carrier ops, probably spent 90+% of my time in FSX within sight of a flight deck. The Aerosoft F-14 caught my eye but then the DCS F-14 was announced shortly after... for some reason I always held off whilst waiting for the DCS bird to arrive.

Recently bought my first set of rudder pedals so Helo's are definitely on the cards going forwards, matter of fact I just installed the Virtavia Merlin a few hours back with plans to check out CIMOGT's Queen Elizabeth and Type-45.

Great hangar Graig!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.
    Thanks, built it up over a bout 5 years or but its been rather neglected for the last 2 or 3.

How about Maryadi's MV-22 Osprey?
    -- WH

RFN Alize
    RFN Etendard IVM/IVP
    RFN Fouga Zephyr
    Skysim Sea Vixen
    Flying Stations Wyvern
    Flying Stations Sea Fury
    UKMil Buccaneer S2
    IRIS F-14A/A+/B
    IRIS F-4K/FG.1
    Vitrtavia A-4E/F/G
    Rollus Rafale M
    Dino C's F-14D
    Dino C's T-45C
    Dino C's F-35A/B/C
    Dino C's S-3
    Razbam Banshee
    Razbam A-7
    Vertigo Panther
    Rob R's SeaHawk
    Rob R's Scimitar
    Rob R's Sea Venom
    Rob R's Cougar

Craig,

None of these aircraft listed match the realism and simulation quality of the SuperBug or other modern, current models available. Regards the SWS or Milviz F4s, there are several good threads here at the outhouse making well balanced comparisons. That said, the SWS is a more conventional FSX flight model and the Milviz is a grade above. I have both and love both, but the Milviz flies closer to the NATOPS. Especially in the corners of performance where you expressed an interest.

I am big on Navair. Try the SWS Phantom, but also try trapping the Virtavia A-3 on the Oriskany with crash detection on. The AS Vigilante can also be a handful.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

If you want my opinion, and that's all it is, an opinion, try out the FSDT FSX Blue Angels F/A-18C v18.2.22. From the reviews I've seen from real Hornet drivers they have on the team for testing, it is THE most realistic F/A-18 available to the Flight Sim community, bar none.
    Then again, I'm biased, having helped in some small ways with it's latest developments.

You can download it from this thread: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,16514.0.html
    The first post in the thread has the download links. If you want the for-sure safe, fully functional install, stick to the v17.1.31. If you want to try the not fully complete and tested WIP version, try the v18.2.22, or the v18.1. They are zeroing in on the most true-to-life flight characteristics, FCS, and Avionics systems with every version.
    So you know, some of the big-boy devs on the team for this are real hornet drivers, past and present, and one of the biggest is a man who writes software for the Navy's F/A-18 sims they use for pilot training and NATOPS certs. He's written most of the FCS software for this plane, and the Navy's sims, and really knows his stuff. These guys all have a pretty good idea what they're doing in toto, as well.
    The bird IS fully TacPac capable, BTW.

Add in vLSO, AICarriers, Pitching Deck software, and some real world weather, like from FSRealWX Lite, and you've got a heck of a Naval experience.

A small side note: Dino's planes are some very, very good ones, too. Just thought I'd throw that in...

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    If you want my opinion, and that's all it is, an opinion, try out the FSDT FSX Blue Angels F/A-18C v18.2.22. From the reviews I've seen from real Hornet drivers they have on the team for testing, it is THE most realistic F/A-18 available to the Flight Sim community, bar none.
    Then again, I'm biased, having helped in some small ways with it's latest developments.

A small side note: Dino's planes are some very, very good ones, too. Just thought I'd throw that in...

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Pat, shame on me for not thinking of the Jimi's Hornet. You are absolutely correct about how close it flies the NATOPS. Not so much in the way of failure modes but very accurate for community software.

I love me some Dino products, but they don't fly the NATOPS as accurately as most payware models.

You can download it from this thread: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,16514.0.html
    The first post in the thread has the download links. If you want the for-sure safe, fully functional install, stick to the v17.1.31. If you want to try the not fully complete and tested WIP version, try the v18.2.22, or the v18.1. They are zeroing in on the most true-to-life flight characteristics, FCS, and Avionics systems with every version.
    So you know, some of the big-boy devs on the team for this are real hornet drivers, past and present, and one of the biggest is a man who writes software for the Navy's F/A-18 sims they use for pilot training and NATOPS certs. He's written most of the FCS software for this plane, and the Navy's sims, and really knows his stuff. These guys all have a pretty good idea what they're doing in toto, as well.

Add in vLSO, AICarriers, Pitching Deck software, and some real world weather, like from FSRealWX Lite, and you've got a heck of a Naval experience.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Sounds ideal, might be a couple of days before I get a chance to try it out but it really sounds like what I had in mind.

Re the highlighted portion... pitching deck software? We can do that in FSX?

All of Dino Cattaneo's are very good, I also have from that list the Vitrtavia A-4E/F/G and Vertigo Panther, I enjoy flying all of these.
    If you have P3D, Dino's F-35A is included as a default aircraft.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

The Virtavia F7U Cutlass seems like it flies pretty close to how Wally Schirra describes it. Fantastic at speed but sluggish until you get there. It will flip nose over tail onto its back if you stall it, if you get too slow on approach to the carrier and let your sink rate rise there usually is no saving it if you're in close because you have to put your nose down to gain speed and that puts you in the water. I do like flying displays in it but 400-450 seems to be the sweet spot.

Re the highlighted portion... pitching deck software? We can do that in FSX?
    Oh, it's an awesome little software! If you want the ship to pitch, roll and yaw like a real one does in weather other than 0 waves, add Pitching Deck and set it for the weather you want. It's best to match the weather conditions, if you can. You know as well as I that the sea-state can have quite an effect on the boat. This software does the boat's movements.
    Hope the vLSO's aren't upset with you that day, or worse, night!

I know for a fact they have it in for ME...

Anywho, I can't remember where I got that software. Pitching Deck is the name of the zip file. Best Google for it, I think. If you can't find it, let me know. I think I should be able to e-mail it to you...

Pat☺

Edit: FOUND IT!
    It right here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4...pitching-deck/ Bottom of Orion's first post.
    Enjoy!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Has anyone tried the pitching deck app in P3Dv4?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

No idea as to it's realism, but for 50s Navy jets, I like the Virtavia F4D Skyray. It does seem to be "reasonably right" as an old friend used to put it.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Oh, it's an awesome little software! If you want the ship to pitch, roll and yaw like a real one does in weather other than 0 waves, add Pitching Deck and set it for the weather you want. It's best to match the weather conditions, if you can. You know as well as I that the sea-state can have quite an effect on the boat. This software does the boat's movements.
    Hope the vLSO's aren't upset with you that day, or worse, night!

I know for a fact they have it in for ME...

Anywho, I can't remember where I got that software. Pitching Deck is the name of the zip file. Best Google for it, I think. If you can't find it, let me know. I think I should be able to e-mail it to you...

Pat☺

Edit: FOUND IT!
    It right here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4...pitching-deck/ Bottom of Orion's first post.
    Enjoy!
    Pat☺
    Getting a 404 error when I try to D/L - looks promising though. Something I really missed from the old CFS2 days, never quite figured why FSX didn't ship with deck motion when it was present in CFS2. Must have about 500 traps in the Razbam A-4G on the Melbourne in CFS2.

Will have to look into the Cutlass and Skyray, I probably lean towards the older jets more however I'm still very much interested in the Hornet being discussed last night, got it downloaded but won't have time to try it out until the weekend.

RFN Alize
    RFN Etendard IVM/IVP
    RFN Fouga Zephyr
    Skysim Sea Vixen
    Flying Stations Wyvern
    Flying Stations Sea Fury
    UKMil Buccaneer S2
    IRIS F-14A/A+/B
    IRIS F-4K/FG.1
    Vitrtavia A-4E/F/G
    Rollus Rafale M
    Dino C's F-14D
    Dino C's T-45C
    Dino C's F-35A/B/C
    Dino C's S-3
    Razbam Banshee
    Razbam A-7
    Vertigo Panther
    Rob R's SeaHawk
    Rob R's Scimitar
    Rob R's Sea Venom
    Rob R's Cougar

Nice hangar!

If you want to fly RNAS then you need to get your hands on the Sim Skunk Works Harrier AV-8B (I have a 801 NAS repaint - effectively turning it in to the GR7/9)

Essential for carrier ops off Arse Boil, Happy Herpes, Lusty and Vince.

Don't be tempted to try the Razbam GR7/9 Harriers - they fly like they're house bricks and VTOL is impossible with any degree of immersion.

You have Dino's F-35B for carrier ops off Big Lizzie - which you can get here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ueen-elizabeth

See you up there!
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

I have a lot of those, too. Shame the pitching deck thing isn't available - wish I'd heard of it before!

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    I've been hearing good things about this bird and want to try it out. Quick question: on the downloads page, it looks like the 18.x.x versions are for P3d, and the 17.x.x is the latest for Fsx. Is that correct? Want to make sure I'm trying the latest version... I'm a holdout, stuck on FSXA. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stearmandriver View Post
    I've been hearing good things about this bird and want to try it out. Quick question: on the downloads page, it looks like the 18.x.x versions are for P3d, and the 17.x.x is the latest for Fsx. Is that correct? Want to make sure I'm trying the latest version... I'm a holdout, stuck on FSXA. Thanks!
    http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...html#msg123280

FSX compatibility notes are at the bottom of that post.

Members who have read this thread: 1