Lockheed Jetstar Project for FSX, P3D and P3D 64-bit - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed Jetstar Project for FSX, P3D and P3D 64-bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    Really looking forward to the Jetstar! Something in my head just gravitates toward the engine layout. Other favs include the Il-62M and the VC10. Also, if I may ask an off topic question. Is the Buffalo dead or just on the very back burner?
    The Buffalo was lost when Microsoft wiped out my work archives. I do have the published beta model, but the entire model will need to be re-built inside and out along with my other WIP aircraft. That's a ton of work and will take a while. So far I have restored two of my aircraft since the data loss. The Jetstar was undertaken basically from scratch, and is at the top of the priority pile. Everyone should thank Jim Goldman for jumping right in and re-sending me the mesh and data I needed to re-build this project.
    Last edited by gman5250; June 11th, 2019 at 07:59.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Jim has indeed been most loyal and generous to the community on this project - thanks Jim!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Teddy bear is alive and well...even receiving some attention to details and updated fur coat.
    Well, now nearly all of the household is invested in it's progress....

The Buffalo was lost when Microsoft wiped out my work archives. I do have the published beta model, but the entire model will need to be re-built inside and out along with my other WIP aircraft. That's a ton of work and will take a while. So far I have restored two of my aircraft since the data loss. The Jetstar was undertaken basically from scratch, and is at the top of the priority pile. Everyone should thank Jim Goldman for jumping right in and re-sending me the mesh and data I needed to re-build this project.
    Yes, trivialities aside, a huge thanks to you, Jim, and whomever has been helping for their efforts. Every freeware project is a labour of love to be appreciated, and my particular affinity for this model aside, the efforts that go into them really need to be recognized and appreciated publicly. That it's a personal favourite is just an extra treat.

I think it's also worth mentioning, alluding to an issue that came up in another thread regarding supported sim platforms, it's cool that you're committing to developing versions for both FSX and P3D sims. Through all my FSX years, I appreciated the almost exclusive FS9-oriented Calclassic offerings, and adapted them as best as I could, since there was a dearth of native FSX aircraft and scenery of that particular period. Similarly, even though I've moved on to P3D, I still appreciate what FSX nuggets can be found that can be made to in P3D. The point being for us later adopters, it's appreciated that you've taken a combined/gradual development stream.

Clearly it'd be easier to focus on one or the other, but you're going to please a lot of folks this way. It's a different calculus for a payware product, obviously, but in this case, an additional reason for all of us who use the various named sims to be extra grateful to be able to enjoy it being optimized accordingly.

Thanks again!!

dl

I know it will be a while

Many projects here have taken a lot of time but have every one been well worth the wait as this will be I am sure. Looking forward to it in the future unless I have my own wings in the hereafter then I will smile on down on all of you still simming.

I do have the published beta model, but the entire model will need to be re-built inside and out along with my other WIP aircraft. That's a ton of work and will take a while. So far I have restored two of my aircraft since the data loss.
    Gordon, did the Abrams P-1 survive the data loss?

Hate to ask...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Gordon, did the Abrams P-1 survive the data loss?

Hate to ask...
    No worries Moses, I'm glad you asked.

Luckily, all of my published beta models just happened to be on a cloud server, and in the hands of a few friends when the database was lost. I was able to retrieve the .mdl and .dds files from those sources. The .mdl files are useless in 3D Studio, but Arno's tool allows them to be exported in an old 3DS file format that preserves the mesh. The .dds files can be converted to bitmaps, although hundreds of comprehensive layered Photoshop master files were a complete loss.

Basically I can import the mesh into Studio in a format that remembers the UVW mapping, so the bitmap files can be used to create new master libraries. The mesh is a jumble of axis points and no animations, so all of that work needs to be re-done for every animated part. I've re-built the B-26K and F7F Tigercat completely, including additions and improvements to both. The Abrams and Buffalo are awaiting restoration as well as my DH Hornet, Sea Hornet and a few others. I started with the Jetstar because I had committed to that project prior to losing the data and most of my software. I honor my commitments and Jim was right there when I asked for help along with the Special Kay restoration team who have provided me with open access to all of their data and experience. These two projects occupy my development time which typically starts around 03:00 and run about six hours, seven days a week. The rest of my time is devoted to my house restoration and rebuilding my research archives.

IMO
    (comment removed by Gman)

I continue this work because if I don't have my hands in it I will lose the skill sets and fall behind in the development curve. I have no intention of allowing that to happen...thus the Jetstar and K Invader.

Thanks friends.
    Last edited by gman5250; June 11th, 2019 at 13:23.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    No worries Moses, I'm glad you asked.

Luckily, all of my published beta models just happened to be on a cloud server, and in the hands of a few friends when the database was lost. I was able to retrieve the .mdl and .dds files from those sources. The .mdl files are useless in 3D Studio, but Arno's tool allows them to be exported in an old 3DS file format that preserves the mesh. The .dds files can be converted to bitmaps, although my comprehensive layered Photoshop master files were lost.

Basically I can import the mesh into Studio in a format that remembers the UVW mapping, so the bitmap files can be used to create new master libraries. The mesh is a jumble of axis points and no animations, so all of that work needs to be re-done for every animated part. I've re-built the B-26K and F7F Tigercat completely, including additions and improvements to both. The Abrams and Buffalo are awaiting restoration as well as my DH Hornet, Sea Hornet and a few others. I started with the Jetstar because I had committed to that project prior to losing the data and most of my software. I honor my commitments and Jim was right there when I asked for help along with the Special Kay restoration team who have provided me with open access to all of their data and experience. These two projects occupy my development time which typically starts around 03:00 and run about six hours, seven days a week. The rest of my time is devoted to my house restoration and rebuilding my research archives.

IMO
    There was a comment above that appeared to view my data loss as a "trivial" matter. For me, this event altered the course of my life. I had an entire product line representing over 50,000 man hours invested in that body of work, which was intended to provide for my retirement. I would challenge anyone on this forum to invest that much sacrifice and energy into an education or business to refer to it as trivial when the work is destroyed, with no recourse or remedy to recover.

I continue this work because if I don't have my hands in it I will lose the skill sets and fall behind in the development curve. I have no intention of allowing that to happen...thus the Jetstar and K Invader.
    Occasionally I will vent my anger and share the more personal side of my recent experience. I don't intend any malice and I truly appreciate everyone's support.

Thanks friends.
    GMan,

I believe the comment to which you refer is mine. The triviality in question was my earlier question from my daughter. Not your catastrohpic data loss. It was intended as a shift in conversation, but I understand given that I quoted you, you could assume I meant all of your comment was a triviality.

I'd hope that read in context, it would be clear that I indeed appreciated your work, with all the attendant sacrifice and roadblocks you've had to overcome.

I apologize for any accidental miscommunication on my part - but know that I never have, nor would, see the data loss of that kind as in any way inconsequential.

My hope is that's clear.

dl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    GMan,

I believe the comment to which you refer is mine. The triviality in question was my earlier question from my daughter. Not your catastrohpic data loss. It was intended as a shift in conversation, but I understand given that I quoted you, you could assume I meant all of your comment was a triviality.

I'd hope that read in context, it would be clear that I indeed appreciated your work, with all the attendant sacrifice and roadblocks you've had to overcome.

I apologize for any accidental miscommunication on my part - but know that I never have, nor would, see the data loss of that kind as in any way inconsequential.

My hope is that's clear.

dl
    Much appreciated Delta_Lima...my miss-understanding sir.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Much appreciated Delta_Lima...my miss-understanding sir.
    No worries. Forums are notorious for enabling miscommunications. I have erred often, both in how I deliver and how I interpret

Now, to exponentially elevate the risk of being taken out of context, let's get back to our discussion about that lovely lady with the four big smokers on her rear end .....

A few random pics, including a scheme I stumbled across that I had never seen before ... C-FDTX ... patriotic sentiment aside, I think it's a pretty smart scheme. Though not as nice as NASA's ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59418342_137043317368386_5161410843147214754_n.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	69639

Name:	artifact-lockheed-l-1329-jetstar-6.jpg 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	69640

Name:	p1370347074-3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	69641

I like this one, worked both these jets at Andrews AFB.

The Old Master Sergeant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 160503-F-IO108-010.jpg  

And here she is in the "Stealth" paint scheme.

The Old Master Sergeant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VC-140B  61-2492 (cn 5031)  USAF  Grand Forks AFB, ND (RDR)  Feb 1974  Doug Slowiak.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmsgt View Post

The Old Master Sergeant

Yeah, the VC-140 is a gorgeous, all right.

Interesting that a surprising number of airlines used them also. TWA, Eastern, Iraqi, Kuwait are the ones that come to mind, maybe others. I believe they were multi-engine trainers for their respective airlines' 4-engined DC-8/707 platforms, though I could be wrong. Likely saw some crew repositioning and/or executive travel use.

She looks good in those carrier liveries too, not surprisingly.

dl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    No worries. Forums are notorious for enabling miscommunications.

Now, to exponentially elevate the risk of being taken out of context, let's get back to our discussion about that lovely lady with the four big smokers on her rear end .....

Errrr.....first thing came to mind was Kim Kardashian....
    Thomas Jefferson

The standard "SAM" (Special Air Missions) paint scheme is shown here.

The Old Master Sergeant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lockheed_VC-140B_JetStar_(L-1329),_USA_-_Air_Force_AN1940539.jpg  

Blog Entries

The Old Master Sergeant
    The Lockheed VC-140A/B JetStar is well worth modeling the new engines, mod the VC and other bits...just to do all of the gorgeous military liveries!

On the to do list.
    Thomas Jefferson

Errrr.....first thing came to mind was Kim Kardashian....
    +1 Could probably set your bowling ball on that and it wouldn't roll off!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

A very early paint scheme in use long before I ever got to Andrews.

The Old Master Sergeant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p630520036-3.jpg  

Blog Entries
    An very early paint scheme in use long before I ever got to Andrews.

The Old Master Sergeant
    Love that one!

Have seen all the other USAF schemes. That's one I've never seen. Thanks for posting that.

That's up there in rarity with the AFCS C-140A ....

Name:	ccd2e620c7a8979f2c544f00e0a84e6f.jpg 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	69648

How about a commemorative stamp?

The Old Master Sergeant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 129030_0.jpg  

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Is anyone planning on painting Auric Goldfinger's Jetstar? There were two VC-140s in that film, BTW - Goldfinger's, that took Bond from Germany to Baltimore/Kentucky - and another one at the end of the film that was supposed to be a USAF VIP transport.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Is anyone planning on painting Auric Goldfinger's Jetstar? There were two VC-140s in that film, BTW - Goldfinger's, that took Bond from Germany to Baltimore/Kentucky - and another one at the end of the film that was supposed to be a USAF VIP transport.
    When I get the model to the Alpha stage, I'll have a comprehensive PK assembled for everyone to use for liveries. The existing UVW mapping was created to accommodate space/memory limitations in FS9. The FSX model I release will be set up to work comfortably within FSX/P3D2 and 3 parameters. The PBR model will be set up for V4 and later which involves an entirely different work flow relating to UVW mapping and PBR materials. Basically two different models for different simulation platforms. The PBR model will be a great opportunity for skinners to learn the ins and outs of PBR painting. The PBR PK will be set up for simplicity of use and include a tutorial.
    Thomas Jefferson

Famous rock-n-roller Jetstar with red velvet interior to boot!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Kelly Johnson rules! Such a classic. It looks like it's going somewhere fast just sitting on the ground.

Immense and diverse repaint possibilities - USAF/AF1/USA - quite a range there. Airline trainers for EA, TWA, Saudia among others. Studio model used in Goldfinger.

This thread is getting more exciting by the post. I not so humbly volunteer to be a beta tester!

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    This thread is getting more exciting by the post. I not so humbly volunteer to be a beta tester!
    Line forms behind me!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The PBR model will be a great opportunity for skinners to learn the ins and outs of PBR painting. The PBR PK will be set up for simplicity of use and include a tutorial.
    Thank you ahead of time, Gordon. I have been a bit apprehensive about attempting the PBR painting.

Members who have read this thread: 3