Lockheed Jetstar Project for FSX, P3D and P3D 64-bit
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed Jetstar Project for FSX, P3D and P3D 64-bit

Blog Entries

Lockheed Jetstar Project for FSX, P3D and P3D 64-bit

I am very pleased to announce that the Lockheed Jetstar by James Goldman is alive and well. The project has been handed over to me after some quiet negotiations behind the scenes, and it is my honor and privilege to be managing the completion of this work.

At the moment the project is very far along, but much work needs to be done to update the model for FSX, P3D and P3Dv4.

Jim had put out the call for volunteers a couple of years ago, but real world considerations left the project in a holding pattern. As of this week we have tentatively assembled a team to handle the poly bending, paint work, flight dynamics and flight testing. I am still very much in need of a qualified gauge programmer for the VC which is fully modeled and very comprehensive.

This is going to be a long term project and will take some time to re-boot, but I thought this airplane should have a dedicated thread where we can share progress and updates with the community. The team, including the original developer, will be following the thread so we will welcome questions and comments from everyone. That said, let's everyone enjoy the process and watch this iconic corporate jet evolve with the help of this talented team.

Features:

Highly detailed exterior model with 4K textures, bump mapping and specular files

Full Virtual Cockpit with period correct gauges, navigation and avionics.

Fully detailed and animated cabin.

Stuffed Teddy Bear included at no additional cost.

PBR texturing throughout the aircraft interior.

Wheel chocks, service ladders and GSE

TFDi Design TrueGlass in the VC and cabin.

As per Jims request, this will be a freeware and gifted to the community as a gesture of thanks from Jim and his original team.

That said, let me get things started with a few initial shots of the airplane in its current state of development. I think the pictures speak for themselves.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Wow

Oh wow, that looks amazing. Seems like alot of work has already gone into this Jetstar. I am sure with your work on this too Gordon there is going to be one amazing aircraft when it is finished. Very kind of James Goldman to insist on this being offered to the community for free. I hope you will thank him from the whole community.
    Happy Flying.

David Phillips

Wow. Great interior.

Looks great for hauling CIA operatives in and out of field.

Will need the James Bond Pussy Galore paint! Project looks great so far...

A very fine looking model, the detailed cabin was unexpected..

Lockheed built the Jetstar like an Anvil. It had an amazing presence on any ramp it parked on. I ground handled Kenny Rogers' and Wayne Newton's Jetstar's quite a bit way back when... The Pilots Loved the redundancy Lockheed engineered into it and they really enjoyed flying them. Its only shortcoming was that it required a small refinery to keep them in fuel. They joked the airplane was only as fast as the 'Quick-Turns' they got at the FBO's as they traversed the country.

Can't wait to see and fly this one in FlightSim. Thank You for taking this project on!!

Gordon... this a beauty but I must ask are you going to finish the Buffalo and Tigercat Redux or have those projects been abandoned?

Matt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    Gordon... this a beauty but I must ask are you going to finish the Buffalo and Tigercat Redux or have those projects been abandoned?

Matt
    I should expand a bit Matt.

The Jetstar project will be placed in the queue in order of priority. My ongoing projects including the B-26K, Brewster Buffalo and Tigercat are at the top of the queue and will be finalized prior to any release of the Jetstar.

The Jetstar is a longer term project, as I indicated above, but I wanted to launch the thread to see what the interest level is from the community and possible contributors. I am assembling the team at this stage and want to have everyone in the loop as the project begins to take shape.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Interesting project,

Looking forward to seeing it come to life.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Blog Entries
    Will you still someday complere the P-1 Explorer??

I'm fairly certain that many period paint jobs were paint on bare aluminum? I hope so! Maybe I'm thinking of just he prototype though...
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    I'm fairly certain that many period paint jobs were paint on bare aluminum? I hope so! Maybe I'm thinking of just he prototype though...
    There's definitely some lovely work on aluminum skin. The "Air Force 1/2" is a good example. There were a few that flew with the Presidential Seal, LBJ initiated the "one half" designation.

It was the pictures of that bird that convinced me to take this project, and I thought of you when I saw the gold, blue and white on metal.

Last edited by gman5250; April 30th, 2018 at 17:32.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Will you still someday complere the P-1 Explorer??
    The Explorer is on the burner, but that one will be my first payware release so it is in line behind the other aircraft.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    There's definitely some lovely work on aluminum skin. The "Air Force 1/2" is a good example. There were a few that flew with the Presidential Seal, LBJ initiated the "one half" designation.

It was the pictures of that bird that convinced me to take this project, and I thought of you when I saw the gold, blue and white on metal.
    Actually, it seems the conservative corporate "suits" world tended to 'all-over paint' but there were a few other than the polished VC-140B's that slipped thru:
    https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1098099
    - and I have several biases in favour of CF-ETN as I ground-handled it in years gone by and my wife worked for Eatons.
    https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1458122
    https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1127955

and as late as 1985, at least one AFCS C-140 that went to the other extreme: https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1028551

Wondering, Gordon, whether the discussion/planning has decided the possible options for the Jetstar I (JT-12, 'slipper' tanks) and 731/Jetstar II or will we have to squint and not see the differences? (My old eyes squint a lot anyway )

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Wondering, Gordon, whether the discussion/planning has decided the possible options for the Jetstar I (JT-12, 'slipper' tanks) and 731/Jetstar II or will we have to squint and not see the differences? (My old eyes squint a lot anyway )
    I'll run that by the original developer, but I doubt that he will object to my adding optional mods if and where appropriate to this air frame. Just the kind of input I am looking for.

BTW...love those USAF paints. The PK will be comprehensive for our "skinners".
    Thomas Jefferson

I handled one of these at an FBO back in 2003. It was tour jet for country star Alan Jackson and one of the last, if not the last, private owned Jetstar still flying.
    He sold it about a year later. Don't know where it wound up. She was gorgeous :-)

Did she look like this..?

Blog Entries
    Jetstar II First Flight...polished skin.

Thomas Jefferson

Nice to see that this project is underway ! Have spent some time around the real thing many years ago , such a cool looking jet. Mike

Thank you for bringing this classic to life.

Gman, kudos for taking this beautiful bird on. I spent about six years with the ones in the 89th Andrews. The picture you have of 492 was used by the first family mostly. I remember several times Pat Nixon, Tricia and Julie would launch off towards Bloomingdales in New York on 492. Otherwise a high level cabinet member would use it. The sister ship, 493 was actually reserved for the Vice President (at the time Spiro T. Agnew, and later Nelson Rockefeller) travels to short distant areas whereby the 707 wasn't required. The difference between 493's paint was that the blue area was omitted and it was all white while sporting the Vice Presidential shield in lieu of the Presidential Seal.(It's more white than gold). The gold stripe was still present. The interior of 493 was very similar but had upgraded seats, appointments and upgraded sound deadening material. Many FSX VC-140 models omit the "cone" attached to the wing tanks in the aft end. That touch in the VC-140 distinguished them from other commercial units. I enjoyed riding in them as they were like a little sports car. It would accelerate quicker than the 707.

Thank you for bringing this bird to life. I've only seen a couple models for FSX, but they really don't do the bird justice. You do excellent work and I'm looking forward to its birth. Thank you and God bless.. Terry

such a cool looking jet
    Yes, indeed, all these many years later. This was also one of Kelly Johnson's designs.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Hi guys, let me reply to a request to Gordon, I do not have any objection with the development of other variations to the Jetstar. A lot of work needs to be done such as, different nacelles, slightly different tail, different fuel tanks and especially developing different panels for specific variations. However, it is ultimately left up to poor Gordon and all of you good souls.

I do want to take a moment to clarify something rather trivial. This project should in no way be linked or referred to as of FSD or the other members. I am the only polygon developer that brought the JSII to fruition and the only one that decided to give the source file for further development as a freeware community project. This is done to show my gratitude to all of you.

During this development process, I will try to contribute as much as I can, but I am dealing with end of life issues with a family member and my own health issues.

Last but not least, the picture shown below is of the actual JSII used for the model shown above.

Best

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JSIIoriginal.jpg  
    Last edited by Jim Goldman; May 1st, 2018 at 08:47.

Members who have read this thread: 3