Does anyone in this forum own IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dove

Thread: Does anyone in this forum own IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dove

Icon5 Does anyone in this forum own IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dove

Does anyone own this game? You can get this game for less than $10 on PC download from Amazon. Some reviewers said that you can not start or install the game because Steam is no longer available. I am hoping to play on-line with IL2.

I love CFS2 and trying to find someone to combat on-line. Are there any options to do that?

The only option that I have found is on the Voobly server, but there are no one in the lobby. The website is : https://www.voobly.com/games/view/Co...ht-Simulator-2
    Last edited by AcWai; April 28th, 2018 at 10:24.

Try here: https://il2sturmovik.com/store/cliffs-of-dover/

The Il2 crew took it - sucessfully IMHO - under their wings. Still looks and feels great.

Regards
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

BTW: I´m not into Multiplayer at all, so any experiences with it concerning this title escape me. Sorry.
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

SOH-CM-2024
    Greetings, All-

I've owned Cliffs of Dover for some years now- I got it on sale (under $10) back then, as at that time that was all it was worth. It seemed that the game was rushed to release long before a lot of the bugs were worked out, and its reputation suffered greatly as a result. Fortunately, a collection of enthusiasts calling themselves Team Fusion have been working long and hard fixing up many issues with the game, for a long time without any co-operation from those who own the game. The patches they developed for the game went a long way toward making it enjoyable, although some issues remain- I don't think they ever got the in-game communication working, and as far as I can tell, in-game anti-aliasing still doesn't work. Because of the AA problems, and its demands on one's system (I have enough CPU and RAM but I'm still using a GTX 660 video card) I haven't played it a lot.

After reading your post yesterday I fired the game up for the first time in a while- I had no problem logging in to Steam (never have) or starting the game. The best place to visit to see what's up with the game is www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com - they also host online flying sessions.

If you can get it cheap, it's worth getting, but it absolutely needs the Team Fusion patches to make it something close to the beautiful game it could be...

- Mike Z.

also

Readily available for download via torrent:
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    Ummmm - is the game free? Otherwise this cannot surely be legal. I think you need to delete this.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Icon9 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    Herr Dirty,

I'm sorry, dear friend, but that is a big no-no. A mulligan is granted, though, as you are still grieving from the Maple Leafs bowing out.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

I think Dirtman is maybe confusing the remake of Rowan's Battle of Britain that A2A did and then later released to a 3rd party for further development IIRC (possibly free now). Imaginatively titled BoB II.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezola View Post
    Greetings, All-

After reading your post yesterday I fired the game up for the first time in a while- I had no problem logging in to Steam (never have) or starting the game. The best place to visit to see what's up with the game is www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com - they also host online flying sessions.

If you can get it cheap, it's worth getting, but it absolutely needs the Team Fusion patches to make it something close to the beautiful game it could be...

- Mike Z.
    Mike,

I have the original version of IL2: Sturmovik, CFS3 and another WW2 flight sim that came out at the same time as CFS1, I have played with all these flight sim for less than 5 hours each. I am hesitant to buy Cliffs of Dover, I see that you don't play with Cliffs of Dover that much.

Can you send me 1 or 2 screen shots of the Spitfire cockpit from Cliffs of Dover? My email is acwai@yahoo.com. I would like to upgrade my current CFS2 Spitfire cockpit.

I am close to getting a new P-47D cockpit finished.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by acwai1 View Post
    and another WW2 flight sim that came out at the same time as CFS1
    European Air War?

Question Reply...

Mikezola,

Then what is this?

"Rami"

SOH-CM-2024
    Howdy...

Andrew, I actually took 6 screenshots of the Spitfire II's cockpit that I'll be more than happy to send you...

Rami- did you watch the whole thing? It seems to be put together by a member of a group that hosts a teamspeak server that flies the game. I got a chuckle out of their intro text, which pretty much paraphrased my description in my earlier post. Although the person(s) that put this together used a lot of tools to assemble this production(see the credits), I can vouch for the fact that all the action sequences were made with the game- the aircraft, damage, scenery, the raids on the airfields, all of it... the radio chatter, of course, was from actual players as opposed to AI. To illustrate how far the game has come with Team Fusion's work, there are three 'tracks' like this (but much shorter) that come bundled with the game. One was Bf-110s raiding an airfield and catching a squadron of Hurricanes on the ground. Owners of the game back before the improvements would judge their systems by whether or not they made it through the playback without a CTD, and what framerates they got if they made it though!

It did appear that this movie was made at a lower resolution, nonetheless I would bet cold cash that whatever system that session was running on when they recorded it is packing some serious graphics horsepower...

-Mike Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    European Air War?

That's the one!

Icon22 Reply...

Howdy...

Andrew, I actually took 6 screenshots of the Spitfire II's cockpit that I'll be more than happy to send you...

Rami- did you watch the whole thing? It seems to be put together by a member of a group that hosts a teamspeak server that flies the game. I got a chuckle out of their intro text, which pretty much paraphrased my description in my earlier post. Although the person(s) that put this together used a lot of tools to assemble this production(see the credits), I can vouch for the fact that all the action sequences were made with the game- the aircraft, damage, scenery, the raids on the airfields, all of it... the radio chatter, of course, was from actual players as opposed to AI. To illustrate how far the game has come with Team Fusion's work, there are three 'tracks' like this (but much shorter) that come bundled with the game. One was Bf-110s raiding an airfield and catching a squadron of Hurricanes on the ground. Owners of the game back before the improvements would judge their systems by whether or not they made it through the playback without a CTD, and what framerates they got if they made it though!

It did appear that this movie was made at a lower resolution, nonetheless I would bet cold cash that whatever system that session was running on when they recorded it is packing some serious graphics horsepower...

-Mike Z.
    Mikezola,

Yeah, I was pretty amazed watching that.
    "Rami"

Howdy...

-Mike Z.
    Thanks! I am looking forward to see those screen shots.

SOH-CM-2024
    The pictures are on their way...

Ah, European Air War... I played the crap out of that game! At that time I picked up EAW, CFS, and Jane's WWII Fighters... They each had their good points... WWII Fighters is still on my system, working fine in Win 7 64 Bit...

Rami, I don't know if you could tell by looking at that video, but some of the bugs that still plague that game could be seen... on one hand, lots of detail, eye candy, etc. (if it still takes a high-end video card to run it today, you can imagine how graphics cards handled the game when it was released)... on the other hand, most of the cables, antennas, etc are dotted lines because the anti-aliasing still doesn't work... people have had varying success with Sweet FX and Reshade... I've never been satisfied with the results I got from either of those... Someday...

- Mike Z.

Members who have read this thread: 0