Consolidated PBY-6A Catalina Post-War USN uploaded
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated PBY-6A Catalina Post-War USN uploaded

Consolidated PBY-6A Catalina Post-War USN uploaded

Hi Folks,
    A variation on the new PBY6A, this time with three superb texs from Mick, to show three post war PBY6As based in the US. So a highly shined (they were like that!), and tweaked model.

Cheers

Shessi

Download link - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=205&id=23596
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quonset.jpg  

So a highly shined (they were like that!), and tweaked model.
    Yeah, highly shined.
    Officers weren't out there shining it, either. They just wandered up later, said "Aint MY bird beeeeeeautiful??".
    No, L-T, YOU don't have a bird. It's the Crew Chief or Plane Captain's bird.
    So there, neener.
    Hrrrrmph...

Great Looking PBY! Thanks for posting it.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members +
    Is this a replacement for the previous 3 skin download, or an addition?

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Is this a replacement for the previous 3 skin download, or an addition?
    This is the whole PBY-6A aircraft. Mick's skin download is just the texture folders, glossy mdl, and cfg entries to add to Shessi's original WWII-period PBY-6A from last week.

The new package includes a model with a texture mapping glitch fixed.

I've deleted the textures-only pack to reduce confusion.

Alas, I've
    just spotted a major glitch that somehow slipped past me. The floats on the Quonset Point ASR plane should be yellow! I dunno how I missed that!

I'll fix that this morning and post a fix.

Fix Uploaded

OK, the fix is uploaded.

The picture shows what the Quonset Point plane looks like now. As it should have looked all along.

I'm also attached it here in case anyone wants to grab it before Rami gets a chance to make it available on the download list.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I can't believe that something so obvious slipped past me yesterday!

Hey Mark,

I just noticed that the new fixed post-war PBY-6A on the download list has the wrong picture.

The description says it contains the fix, but the picture is the original with the floats still blue.

If you substitute the picture attached to the above post all will look as it should.

(And you might delete the original post-war file.)

Icon22 Reply...

Mick,

That wasn't Shessi's goof, it was mine. Be fixed in a jiffy...
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Mick,
    That wasn't Shessi's goof, it was mine. Be fixed in a jiffy...
    Thanks Rami. Mark just convinced me that it wasn't worth the trouble, but correct is still better, even in small things.

Ha ha..I had convinced myself..but as you say as Rami took the time to get it right, then thats the best thing...

And everyone's happy!

Shessi

I've painted a simple scheme for a civil Catalina water bomber. At first glance I thought the plane was the same one depicted in one of the stock Alpha Sims skins, the "California Water Bomber" operated by Airborne Fire Attack, but with the company graphics removed by a subsequent owner. I thought AlphaSims had erroneously applied a -5A livery to a -6A airplane. But no, the plane they depicted was really a -5A. That plane crashed, and the -6A that I found photos of was apparently a replacement. Its registration number was different by just one digit and it re-used the same tanker number, 115. It may have never worn the company graphics. The -6A still exists in a museum.

All I did was remove the company graphics from the AlphaSims skin and change the registration number. Here's a picture of the real plane:

Members +
    Awesome stuff, will it be able to drop water?
    I wonder if there are more civilian types out there?

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Awesome stuff, will it be able to drop water?
    I wonder if there are more civilian types out there?
    Well, you can add a water drop effect to any plane using the [Smokesystem] and a water drop effect. If you have other water bombers you probably have a waterdrop effect in your Effects folder. I don't expect opening water drop doors, but that would be up to Shessi, you'd have to ask him about that.
    Last edited by Mick; April 29th, 2018 at 08:28.

Consolidated PBY-6A Catalina as Cousteau's Calypso

At first thank you Shessi for this version of the PBY.
    As Cousteau's PBY was in reality a 6A I did a fast repaint.
    Now I wonder what will be more real?
    This bird as wrong PBY-5A without the front turret and the guns
    or
    as PBY-6A but with front turret, radome and guns?
    Yours
    Papi

Cousteau's Calypso

oups
    when I did read my text again their is a big bug,
    No I did not realy make a repaint, I just took the textures of the still existing Calypso and adjusted them to the new bird.
    Yours
    Papi

Cousteau's Calypso PBY-6A

Hallo Shessi, Mick,

on the other sticky thred I did see that Mich was speeking about Waterbomber and the Cousteau's Calypso PBY.
    Hmmm Shessi you replied to "as your heard desires"
    Would it mean that you will still make a civilian version?
    If yes I redo my ask for a version with the font turret with out the glazing (the turret windows has been couvered with sheet)
    but with out the rear blisters. Most of the PBY flown by the SLPACK have been -5A, but due to crashes there where bought later two -6A as replacement planes. They have been overhauled and modified at Paris le Bourget and than flown on a long trip to french polynesia.
    Would certainly be an interesting trip to redo this flight. There is a french site which tells about.
    Yours
    Papi

Question

Papi,
    Ha ha..you're making my head hurt!!

I'm doing a civvy PBY-6A water bomber, it would be easy to do a 6A with turret but without out radar and side blisters, if this is what you are talking about?

Cheers

Shessi

Pby-6a

Hallo Shessi, as you did all those super evolutions of this good old ALPHA PBY you have become THE expert, The reference for this bird. I asked you before for an -5A with forward turrent without the side blisters. This was before I did know that you also make a -6A. So a 6A with non transparent turret and removed sideblisters but side hatch as on the -5A fire bomber I sended you a photo of the concerned plane I think. It is mervellous that you continue to do so fine evolutions of ac for FS9 when a lot do forget the still great community of FS9 users. Something completly other; I looked here in my docs and found nothing realy interesting concerning the Ar 240 cockpit. I two weeks I will be at home in Brittany for hollydays. There I have more docs and a book about the Arado works. It mightbe possible that there will be somme interesting material. If I find something I will scan it for you. Otherwise I found some written flying test reports in german. Brrrrr a bird with a lot of problems. I do not believe that it can be compared with the Messerschmitt 210/410 - at last the Me 410 war a quiet good airplane, the Ar 240 never. Yours Papi

Well, my old, tired eye have been missing some big things!

First I failed to notice that the red water bomber had the no-turret nose. Now I see that it also lacks the waist blisters. I can't believe that I didn't spot that immediately!

And yes, that's the same Calypso skin that I converted to the -6a, by making the required file name edits and copying the colors to the new cowling and nacelle textures.

I see now that the same model won't be correct for both the red water bomber and the Calypso. The both nad the no-turret nose, but Calypso had the waist blisters while the red plane did not.

If we were working in plastic, one might take a copy of the -5A civil model and glue on a copy of the -6A tail for the Calypso, then make a copy of that and lop off the blisters for the water bomber. I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to do that sort of thing with digital models.

I'm pleased to see that we now have just the one -6A sticky thread. That should make the conversation easier to follow for old guys like me who are easily confused.

PBY -6A civil versions

Hallo Mick,

the screenshot I posted are in fact Pierre Lheureux's Calypso repaint.
    So if Shessi will do for us the civil versions will you publish your version of Cousteau's Calypso?
    Because if we got the civil version with no turret but with blisters I will adjust my repaint of Fire Eater,
    the Cat from the film Always to fit the -6A.
    If you have an Calypso ready I do not need to push "my" one in the arena
    For the moment I have a lot of problems to finish my 2D panels, military and civil for the Cat (not interesting for you as you delate them,lol)
    Yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    Hallo Mick,
    the screenshot I posted are in fact Pierre Lheureux's Calypso repaint.
    So if Shessi will do for us the civil versions will you publish your version of Cousteau's Calypso?
    Because if we got the civil version with no turret but with blisters I will adjust my repaint of Fire Eater,
    the Cat from the film Always to fit the -6A.
    If you have an Calypso ready I do not need to push "my" one in the arena
    For the moment I have a lot of problems to finish my 2D panels, military and civil for the Cat (not interesting for you as you delate them,lol)
    Yours
    Papi
    Sure, I will post the Calypso skin. It's not really "my" version; it's just Lheureux's skin with the file names edited to work with the -6A model. Aside from editing file names, all I did was color the new cowling and nacelle textures to match the rest of the plane. I'd thought to put it with the model if Shessi's OK with that, along with the red bird. But now I see that we'll need two versions of the model to accommodate both skins, one with and one without the waist blisters. If Shessi is up for making the two versions. I really have no idea of the work that would entail, so I am reluctant to make a request.

You've painted Fire Eater from "Always!" I love that movie, but I haven't watched it in years. I'd completely forgotten about Fire Eater. I look forward to seeing your paint job!

I only delete your wide-screen panels. I have your standard screen panels for Nigel's Avros and I really like them. If you made standard screen versions of all you panels I would use most of them, maybe all of them.

PBY civilians

Hallo Mich I still had posted a screenie from Fire eater a time ago,
    this night I will readjust it at first for the standard -6A version to see what must have been done
    So we both did the same for the Calypso. It was a bit tricky I find as the textures are not simply the same.
    So for the wing outbord swimmers it took me a moment that for the bottom texture I had to invert the texture
    As I have found a site about this special ac I will look this night if some thing can be done for the interior. If yes I will send you the modified interior textures , if you are interested.
    I come home from work this evening at 23:00 and yet have to beginn my night turnus tomorrow at 22:00 - so I will have a bit time to "play" with the textures.
    Yours
    Papi

our newest Cat in our familly in Brittany

not realy the thread for this,
    but a special Cat for Mick
    her name is Onyx
    And she certainly would not agree if I try to repaint her
    miau miau

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    not realy the thread for this,
    but a special Cat for Mick
    her name is Onyx
    And she certainly would not agree if I try to repaint her
    miau miau
    Hi Papi,

I don't remember having to alter the float textures, but they look correct on the model so I must have done that.

Onyx is beautiful! Brown tabbies are beautiful, and they always seem to have such sweet personalities.

My late, great Scooter was a brown tabby. He was a wonderful pet and I will always miss him. Now I only have one cat, Rowdy, an orange tabby.

I wish you and Onyx many years of good health and happiness.

Cousteau's PBY Calypso

Mick,
    the bad thing is that I do not see my familly so often, but in four years I will be retired and will be with them and will have plenty more time for flightsim
    Now to the PBY, the floats had to be altered as for the calypso they are quiet specefic for the colors and on the original -5A textures there is only one texture for the floats, but on Shessies evolution there are a a bottom and an upside texture for the floats.
    Mick what tool do you use for the repaints?
    I do use FSRepaint
    And with this version of the cat on my fsrepaint I can no longer see the inside of the ac.
    Do you know why it could be?

Miau miau
    Yours
    Papi

Members who have read this thread: 0