Tangier Island Beta Testers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tangier Island Beta Testers

Tangier Island Beta Testers

I am getting close to re-releasing my scenery which has been revamped to eliminate the texture problems. There have also been several additions:

1) All boats sitting on the ground near the Docks have been placed on Trailers
    2) The School building has been added
    3) All grass has been redone and recompiled using material settings supplied by Gordon (********), Thanks Gordon!
    4) All Scenery Objects and their related textures are now located within the Tangier Island Scenery folder, eliminating the missing textures problem
    5) A more visible road system has been added
    6) Ambient Sounds have been added (Gulls and Wave sounds), My thanks to Bjoern, tgycgijoes and Dimus for their suggestions on how to proceed. Additional thanks to Dimus for troubleshooting the related files and spotting a glaring mistake in one of the Controller Files that got the sounds working completely.

Tangier Island does not have any nightime operations. As such my initial release was geared to that (no night textures, no rwy lights, etc.). However. . . .this is a Sim, not real world and so should I leave it that way, or include those items left out in the original release?

I will read your comments, if any, and then proceed with making the necessary changes, then I'll look for a few Beta Testers to give it a go and be certain this release doesn't fall flat like the last one did, lol. Actually the original release got about 100 downloads before I pulled it, but you never know how many of those were trashed and how many actually kept it and made their own adjustments.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I am getting close to re-releasing my scenery which has been revamped to eliminate the texture problems. There have also been several additions:.....

Tangier Island does not have any nightime operations. As such my initial release was geared to that (no night textures, no rwy lights, etc.). However. . . .this is a Sim, not real world and so should I leave it that way, or include those items left out in the original release?
    I would like to see how you first "imagined" the island. Seeing the island lit at night would add another dimension.
    Either way a beautiful piece of scenery.

Still have the original release in P3Dv4.2 working, but would love to see the latest release with the great features you list Ed.

Be happy to to beta test if you wish.

Hi Ed. As one of the downloaders of the first version who had issues that were eventually resolved, I'd be more than happy to look over version 2 for you.

Cheers, A.

Night lighting sounds great for us simmers.

I am very limited on time, except Fridays, but that's already tomorrow. I have the original download, and run FSX SE as well as P3Dv4.

Just send me a PM if I can be of any assistance.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Ed, I have your original download that appears to be working fine and I am happy to have a look at your new version.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

I know there are no flights in or out of Tangier at night, but a little night lighting might be nice as it will keep the island from being a black hole in the Chesapeake Bay if you happen to overfly the island at night.

By the way, I'm still using FSX + Acceleration boxed versions. I normally don't beta test (except for Carenado/Alabeo releases, like everyone else ), but if you need a boxed version tester, let me know.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I've been reading up on the island and its fascinating history.

I'd like to Beta it. Thanks.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Tangier Island Beta Version 2 is looking good in FSX + Acc with Steve's DX10 Fixer.

All daylight textures present
    Elevation of all objects good
    Dawn, dusk, night textures look brilliant (and very realistic)
    RWY Lights look great

Only problem was the Pit Stop was closed so I couldn't grab a burger ;-)

What a lovely piece of scenery. Congrats Falcon and thanks for sharing.

photo uploading
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Hi Ed.

V2 is looking fantastic, and the sounds really do add immersion. I swear I saw a tree blowing gently in the sea breeze.

All houses are textured, no elevation issues.

BUT...

unfortunately one thing does seem to be missing - your new boat trailers. The boats are there...just kind of floating (but not as boats are supposed to!).

Otherwise superb. Love the night lighting.

Cheers,

A.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenCap_02.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark62 View Post
    Hi Ed.

V2 is looking fantastic, and the sounds really do add immersion. I swear I saw a tree blowing gently in the sea breeze.

All houses are textured, no elevation issues.

BUT...

unfortunately one thing does seem to be missing - your new boat trailers. The boats are there...just kind of floating (but not as boats are supposed to).

Otherwise superb. Love the night lighting.

Cheers,

A.
    Not sure what is going on with the trailers. When I first placed them they were fine, but everytime after that it would take them awhile to show up. My original idea was to build some styrofoam type blocks with a "V" cut out and set them down on those. I've seen that done at one of our Marinas up on Lake Texoma. I may still have to revert to that.

Current System Specs:

Using FSX/Accel boxed version, Ultimate Terrain X.

Looks better. Boats on land are missing trailers for me as well.

I am still having a serious elevation issue with the terrain in the creek. I placed the KTGI_ADEX_EJW_ALT file in MicroSoft Flight Simulator X/Scenery/World/Scenery directory. No apparent change versus the original version. I presume that is the correct directory.

Night lighting looks good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fsx 2018-04-28 15-57-30-39.jpg   fsx 2018-04-28 15-54-36-10.jpg  
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Not sure what is going on with the trailers. When I first placed them they were fine, but everytime after that it would take them awhile to show up. My original idea was to build some styrofoam type blocks with a "V" cut out and set them down on those. I've seen that done at one of our Marinas up on Lake Texoma. I may still have to revert to that.
    Actually, yes, Ed; a closer look (some Beta Tester I ended being!) reveals the boat trailers you mention in the Readme are most definitely absent. The boats are floating a few feet above the ground - sort of the height they would be if they WERE on a trailer so I'm guessing it's another library object file.
    It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned - the whole island looks great and I look forward to doing some flying here.
    I love the way you've perfectly captured the little docks and berths for the boats and I particularly like the way you have fishing and leisure boats anchored around the island with the people flow; wherever you go on this interesting little island there's something to see and it has a friendly and homely vibe about it.
    Jim

I've tested Tangier Island in win7 64bit.
    FSX ACC + Steve's DX10 Fixer and
    P3D v4.2.
    FTX Global base and vector, no additionel mesh.

In both sim's the scenery works very well without any loss of performance.
    The birds and wave sounds gives the wonderfull holiday feeling
    and the nightlights looking marvelous.

In FSX i have had grass on the runway until i recognised, that i had
    forgotten to disable ADE_FTX_FTXG_KTGI.BGL and FTX_FTXG_KTGI_objects.bgl.

The boat trailer takes some time to pop up in FSX but they are always present
    in P3D4. ( perhaps an DX10 issue ).

There are no more flatten or texture problem in both sim's and no error report
    with Content Error Reporting in P3D4.

Long story short, Tangier Island V2 works like a charm.

Thanks a lot for this gem, Ed

Cheers
    Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    Actually, yes, Ed; a closer look (some Beta Tester I ended being!) reveals the boat trailers you mention in the Readme are most definitely absent. The boats are floating a few feet above the ground - sort of the height they would be if they WERE on a trailer so I'm guessing it's another library object file.
    It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned - the whole island looks great and I look forward to doing some flying here.
    I love the way you've perfectly captured the little docks and berths for the boats and I particularly like the way you have fishing and leisure boats anchored around the island with the people flow; wherever you go on this interesting little island there's something to see and it has a friendly and homely vibe about it.
    I think (hope actually) I have the trailer problem corrected. The original model just use colors rather than textures mapped to the frame (much like some freeware aircraft models substitute colors rather than go to the trouble to texture every single part). I took the model back into sketchup and used some metal textures I have to apply actual textures to the model in lieu of flat colors. It seems to have corrected the issue. I also made a small wooden box for the hitch to sit up on (never seen a boat on a trailer that could sit absolutely level with nothing to support the hitch, lol).

You mentioned "People Flow" which is an Orbx function. You should only see two people in the scenery. One is waiting at the parking ramp next to his SUV. . .the other is my favorite crusty old gent down by the fishing boats waving at the incoming boats. If you see anything else, like people moving around. . .those aren't mine, they are part of an Orbx scenery mixed with mine.

Thanks for checking out the scenery, thus far "stansdds" is the only one to show any real major elevation problem. Unlike anything anyone else has seen.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Using FSX/Accel boxed version, Ultimate Terrain X.

I am still having a serious elevation issue with the terrain in the creek. I placed the KTGI_ADEX_EJW_ALT file in MicroSoft Flight Simulator X/Scenery/World/Scenery directory. No apparent change versus the original version. I presume that is the correct directory.

Night lighting looks good.
    That is definitely a problem, however I haven't a clue as to why it would show up there. I have nothing in that area to affect it that way. The only flatten I have is just around the runway and parking ramp. Outside of that. . .no other poly's, excludes, etc that would cause what you're seeing there. I haven't gotten any reports from the other Beta Testers that indicates a similar problem for them.

If anyone reading this threads has any suggestions I'm open to anything if it corrects this issue. Also, the folder you placed the elevation file in is correct.

Current System Specs:

One anomaly found was that the wave action was washing well up to the rwy, on the south end in particular. That has been corrected. . .the waves now start farther out and end just before the seawall.

Current System Specs:

One anomaly found was that the wave action was washing well up to the rwy, on the south end in particular. That has been corrected. . .the waves now start farther out and end just before the seawall.

Splendid scenery sir. As I mentioned in a pm the scenery works beautifully day and night in my combination of P3Dv4.2, all the ORBX goodies and Win 10. The wave action was the only thing of any consequence I spotted. The boats were on their trailers in my display.

I have installed the scenery Ed and it looks really good. One problem I originally found was when I went into a top down view I was seeing buildings on top of each other and realised that I must have another version of KTGI installed.

I found the following files in the ORBX\FTX_Global\FTX_FTXG_Airports\Scenery:

ADE_FTX_FTXG_KTGI.BGL
    ADE_FTX_FTXG_KTGI_CVX.BGL
    FTX_FTXG_KTGI_OBJECTS.BGL

These files need to be removed in order to eliminate any clashes.

I also seems that the runway, taxiway and apron still appear to be sitting on a small plateau.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Thanks for taking a look at it Pat. Right about the Orbx interference. If anyone does the free uploads for the NA Airports via FTX Central, then it's a sure bet they have something from it showing up at KTGI. I go through those files from time to time with a list of my sceneries and start deleting all the Orbx files that interfere with my custom airports.

As far as the "plateau" is concerned, it's just part of the scenery. Nothing I can do about that. Remember, the actual elevation at Tangier Island varies from year to year, but the general consensus is that the average is about 5' ASL. The default airport elevation was set at 1.940', while the Island elevation is actually 0.0'. Without a custom mesh to incorporate into the scenery and get levels up where they should be (or at least closer) 1.940' is the elevation. . .so it causes that plateau and trying to adjust the airport elevation to it's RW numbers just causes more havoc with the way it displays. So as much as I dislike this saying. . ."It is what it is", lol.

Current System Specs:

​No worries Ed. At least the runway, taxiway and apron are all on the same level. Also the boats I have checked so far all appear to be on their trailers.

Cheers
    Pat

Thanks for checking out the scenery, thus far "stansdds" is the only one to show any real major elevation problem. Unlike anything anyone else has seen.
    Terrain elevation issue solved with my install of KTGI! I moved KTGI to a position above the Ultimate Terrain X files and now the below sea level creek is now at (technically, a few feet above) sea level! So, FYI, for anyone using UTX, be sure the entry for KTGI is placed above the UTX entries in the FSX add-on scenery menu.

. . . . .You mentioned "People Flow" which is an Orbx function. You should only see two people in the scenery. One is waiting at the parking ramp next to his SUV. . .the other is my favorite crusty old gent down by the fishing boats waving at the incoming boats. If you see anything else, like people moving around. . .those aren't mine, they are part of an Orbx scenery mixed with mine. . . . . .
    Actually that info is incorrect. I do have other people in the scenery. I completely forgot those folks enjoying the beach south of the runway.

Current System Specs:

I will continue to monitor this thread til lunchtime. If no other reports come through, I think everyone who has tested the scenery has already reported back. I've made the corrections where needed and did some fine tuning on my end and everything seems to be in order. Barring any additional last minute snafu's I'll package this up and get it uploaded and let Rami perform his magic to get it available to the masses. This is a completely new version obviously, so to head off any quirkiness, don't just overwrite files. . .move the old version out and add the new version in it's entirety. After that, if you made some specific changes to your original you can do the same with the new version.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0