The square moon

Thread: The square moon

The square moon

Iv`e finally reached CFS 3 ERA 5 and came across this strange one,the moon surrounded by a square,any guesses?
    alcanallen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SQ Moon.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Not a hundred percent on this one Alcanallen, but the moonfull.dds is found in the Effects/weather folder. Do a search for moonfull.dds under the Effects folder in Windows Explorer to check that you do not have a duplicate tucked in another folder, like fxtextures.

Not sure that would create this square look, though. The stock moon textures are DXT5. If you hover the mouse pointer over the moon dds file in Windows explorer, a little info box pops up telling you information about what format the dds texture is in.

have you made a recent change to configoverrides or updated your version of Ankor's shaders?

There are seven different moon textures that are used at different times of the month. Do they all have a problem with their alpha layer, or only this one?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The Moon

Hi Major,it appears only this one in ERA 5 i haven`t seen anything like this in other ERA`s,very strange.
    I`ll look around for any duplicates.
    alcanallen.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by alcanallen View Post
    Iv`e finally reached CFS 3 ERA 5 and came across this strange one,the moon surrounded by a square,any guesses?
    alcanallen.
    Hi Alcanallen,

I've set up a new stock install, my "test mule" for trying different things, and guess what - The dratted square moon has shown up! Did you ever get a solution for it?

I have just changed the shaders.xml file but I don't see how that would affect things. Is the moon texture treated as a decal by the game, I wonder? In which case the z-bias settings in the cfs3config could be the answer. Try fiddling about with the relevant z-bias setting?

The moon is a square.

Hi mate,no iv`e not found the culprit but i only came across it in that one ERA,the others seem ok,
    if you find anything your`e sure to let us know.
    John.

The moonfull.dds texture is in DXT5 format with an alpha layer that looks like an greyscale image of the moon surrounded by a black mask. The image layer itself is an image of the moon that looks like it has a white fog over it. Having only one out of seven phases of the moon, in one Era go wrong, seems unlikely, as the swapper doesn't touch these files.

I've looked in the shader.xml and other than an entry for Corona, I don't see much that would be associated with the sun and moon images being displayed in front of the skybox.

The root cause may be something similar to the square texture effects that crop up occasionally where BlendMode Add or Quadsprite gets switched to something the associated texture doesn't match with.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

i've checked the sun.dds the format is not DXT5, it's 24bit DDS but the moon is correct DXT5. Should the sun format use DXT5 same as moon.dds?

I don't think so. My sun files are in uncompressed R8G8B8 format and they work as they should.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0