Odd Jet sound explained

Thread: Odd Jet sound explained

Odd Jet sound explained

i've said this is what we've been hearing for years,the fact that it is from U2s,but i myself couldn't explain why.people around these parts can hear an odd sound at night (mostly) that many have claimed to be "space craft",people like my brother inlaw,anyway..it is when a U2 is setting up to land at Beale,Juan says they start doing this at the Mustang VOR.anyway,,watch its interresting.

Well, this is no mystery to me or anybody else in the Lincoln area. Only they do this throttle up right over the town at about 1000-2000 feet as they approach Beale from the South.

The real mystery is all of the weird lights flying around here at night, usually on a North/South path to/from Beale. Saw 'something' one night that was 200-300 feet in front of and below a Southwest 737 as it approached Sac International from the East. All you could see were two amber lights (on what I assume at each wingtip of this 'thing'). Just after it past Lincoln it slowly veered away to the North in the direction of Beale.

Also, often hear commercial pilots on the scanner talk about their TCAS going off with nothing else around.

I could go on with some other stories but they would be hard to believe.

Several years ago up in the Serene Lakes area of Soda Springs, I saw the U-2 fly over about 1500-2000 feet high with engine at idle. Weather flights for NASA?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Yeah,like i said,i knew it was the U2 ,but i didnt know what they were doing to make that weird whoooshing sound.i sleep with my window open and some nights its so loud it will wake me.hey did you ever hear the explosions from when they would blow up ordinance at he Sierra army depot at Honey Lake?..its a long way from here,but when i lived over on Rancho Circle in south Auburn,we would hear a series blasts,i can remember that it was so load sometimes they would dispatch us to various areas looking for smoke from an explosion.One day i happened to be on a small grass fire in the Auburn area and was talking to 2311,BC Don Lane from CDF and i jokingly said,lets contact the FBI and find out what the hells goin on...he surprised me when he said he was gettin tired of it too,and he called his dispatch (we were still being dispatched by APD at this time,and he told the dispatched at the ECC to contact the ATF and make them findout what was going on.it trook several years,but one day he called me up and reminded me of our conversation and then told me he was told it was an atmospheric phenomenon that would bounce the sound back down here ...ever notice i cant speel worth a chit,but can spell thouse big ones?...thank god for spell checkers eh?..

are you going to beale saturday?..i want to,but with my heart issues i best not,i can drive over there,but those become long days and im afraid ill be to tiuired to drive home,though i have volunteered for the mather show in september and if accepted,im not gonna miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by FOO FIGHTER View Post
    Well, this is no mystery to me or anybody else in the Lincoln area. Only they do this throttle up right over the town at about 1000-2000 feet as they approach Beale from the South.

The real mystery is all of the weird lights flying around here at night, usually on a North/South path to/from Beale. Saw 'something' one night that was 200-300 feet in front of and below a Southwest 737 as it approached Sac International from the East. All you could see were two amber lights (on what I assume at each wingtip of this 'thing'). Just after it past Lincoln it slowly veered away to the North in the direction of Beale.

Also, often hear commercial pilots on the scanner talk about their TCAS going off with nothing else around.

I could go on with some other stories but they would be hard to believe.

I don't know if there are any based, or even using Beale to practice, but they only fly F-117's at night, I believe.
    I'm wondering, could the sightings and sounds be from one or two of those puttering around?

Just a thought.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

i thought all the F-117s were distroyed?..i dont know,but the U2s are in and out of beale all the time.

The F-117s were removed from service and mothballed at Tonopah. A few have continued flying and used for various testing.

As for the U-2 sound. If you've ever heard the F-104 throttle up and down, it makes a similar whoosh due to the intake curve. Being that the U-2 was derived from the 104, it makes sense that it would be close.

https://youtu.be/_GcfZXqPJf4

Funny, the F-22 makes nearly the same sound. The intake shape is key.
    https://youtu.be/W6weJN6qUww
    I pass gas!

not the same sound i hear,but close,,lol...i wish i had some sort of recording devise.heard a good one last night,its almost Eire souding.odd...i grabbed my phone real fast when i heard it,loud enough that i heard it with my headphones on,yet nothing was picked up on the phone..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    not the same sound i hear,but close,,lol...i wish i had some sort of recording devise.heard a good one last night,its almost Eire souding.odd...i grabbed my phone real fast when i heard it,loud enough that i heard it with my headphones on,yet nothing was picked up on the phone..
    The U-2 does have one hell of a howl!

https://youtu.be/LgCatc6ZZms
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    The U-2 does have one hell of a howl!

https://youtu.be/LgCatc6ZZms
    So does the F-15.
    I live in spitting distance of Kingsley Field, KLMT, the only training base for them. They have a heck of a howl too. We hear them flying over on missions, and when we're driving around near the middle of town, we're right under the final approach path.
    Some of the newer pilots can be real throttle jockeys. I think the engines are howling in agony...

No F-15's around, are there?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

The 144th FW in Fresno has F-15's, have yet to see any in/out of Beale. No F-117's either. When McClellan was still an AFB, I would see/hear 'em all the time.

@Daveroo - I went to the show at the last minute. It was cool but they have had better in past years. Got there when the gates opened at 0800 and left around 1200. The F-22 put on one helluva show!

Members who have read this thread: 0