Adding Sounds to Scenery

Thread: Adding Sounds to Scenery

Adding Sounds to Scenery

Does anyone know if there are any tutorials on this?

Update: This request is too broad, after reading what I wrote here. What I want to do is add wave sounds (ambient)(water, not wav. as in file type) and maybe some gulls in the mix as well. Joe Watson did some that can be added to his scenery, but they are location specific, so not usable beyond the airports they are made for.
    Last edited by falcon409; April 23rd, 2018 at 06:23. Reason: added info
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Stab in the dark:
    Create a simple, very small or invisible object (model), attach an effect (with sound) to it in ModelConverter and place it in the scenery (so that it can't be seen)?

- Edit:
    Scratch that, you won't need a model. A compiled XML file for placement will do.

See the example here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526969.aspx

Excellent Bjoern, thank you sir!

Current System Specs:

FSX SDK Effects

If you check the thread here for NAS Alameda that I created wow now 2 years ago, I had all kinds of effects with sounds. it takes some practice, but I had the base playing the national anthem at 08:00 local time as every military base done in the morning and actually mapping "Colors" in the evening when the flag was lowered for the night. I even found and downloaded a USMC chart of the exact times in what time zones. Call me crazy. Also had lapping waves on the shore and seagulls as well as all the announcements aboard the stationary carrier at the pier throughout the day. It tooks days and days of experimenting never doing this in my life before much less any kind of programmer, but with the effects SDK it is possible. You get your .wav sounds from Google. If you download the file, in effects you will find what you are looking for. Copy it with my blessing I created it. Be sure you open and read the Effects SDK for Effects on how to program it because it uses location and how far away you want to be and still hear the sound. Hope this helps you do what you want.

You can check the effects and controller files I include in the Inconnu Lodge scenery for the lake and forest sounds. The wav files were made by YoYo.

SbuilderX can create effects objects which you can place at any location. This object will point to the controller file. See the attached SBX screen:

Then SBX can compile these objects into a bgl file which you place in your scenery folder. The Effects and controller files go to the effects folder and the wav files to the sound folder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture_sound.JPG  

Thanks everyone who has offered assistance. My idea is, after completely revamping Tangier Island, to add these sounds (gull, waves and an occasional boat horn). This is a community built on the fishing industry and so those sounds will give a bit more life to the scenery and will probably only play in a few areas (parking ramp and the beach). I'll dive into the info you've supplied and see if my aging brain can still learn something.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0