Quite Sad News

Thread: Quite Sad News

Hybrid View

It is sad and I guess those of us who fronted up at the beginning are disappointed, but the reaction of the idiots posting on Steam is way over the top.
    I do think (just me, myself) that Dovetail made a huge blunder by overpricing the DLC, obviously they did not understand that the FS community is different to the Rail Sim people.
    Not good PR either for Dovetail....
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Given the glacial pace of their development process, it's not really a surprise they are closing down the flight simulation studio. The money they've spent versus what they have made in sales of the platform and DLC was likely bleeding red ink, which makes the accountants VERY nervous. Sad, but not surprising.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by HyFlyer View Post
    What puts this into context, however, is that PMDG were amongst the losing bidders for the franchise when it was up for grabs. Robert Randazzo, the founder of PMDG, has been highly critical of DTG and FSW since the initial release and there seems to be a definite element of sour grapes involved when you read his earlier comments. His predictions of doom and his vitriol against DTG almost certainly swayed some of the community and probably contributed to the demise of FSW.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    At last, a commentary that is rational and somewhat unbiased on fselite.net on the downfall of FSW. Well written from three points of view.

So I can free up some space on my HD at last . Let's see I just fired up Steam. I installed FSW in March of 2017 when it was released. It seems I used it for 4 hours and most of that was setting up the thing. Between this and Flight School and MS Flight in recent years, we have not been particularly well served. I feel sorry for folks who actually spent money on FSW. It will only serve to make folks more judicious or prudent with any 'new' developer coming forth in the future.

It is a shame but I think they made an error in releasing the thing in dribs and drabs. There was never enough to retain interest when there are two other completed options out there.

edit - I feel for the staff and developers who now have to find other jobs.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I'm hoping that P3D now implements TrueSky, I really liked it.

I think you'll find that P3D will fill all the gaps, and will stick to the status quo of 100% open development. Personally I also think that P3D has just been slow to adopt PBR but that it will be in a future release. Makes sense with what they have implemented this far. It's like all the incremental steps are being taken to introduce the graphical entrancement so that they work.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members who have read this thread: 7