Quite Sad News

Thread: Quite Sad News

It is sad and I guess those of us who fronted up at the beginning are disappointed, but the reaction of the idiots posting on Steam is way over the top.
    I do think (just me, myself) that Dovetail made a huge blunder by overpricing the DLC, obviously they did not understand that the FS community is different to the Rail Sim people.
    Not good PR either for Dovetail....
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Given the glacial pace of their development process, it's not really a surprise they are closing down the flight simulation studio. The money they've spent versus what they have made in sales of the platform and DLC was likely bleeding red ink, which makes the accountants VERY nervous. Sad, but not surprising.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

So I can free up some space on my HD at last . Let's see I just fired up Steam. I installed FSW in March of 2017 when it was released. It seems I used it for 4 hours and most of that was setting up the thing. Between this and Flight School and MS Flight in recent years, we have not been particularly well served. I feel sorry for folks who actually spent money on FSW. It will only serve to make folks more judicious or prudent with any 'new' developer coming forth in the future.

It is a shame but I think they made an error in releasing the thing in dribs and drabs. There was never enough to retain interest when there are two other completed options out there.

edit - I feel for the staff and developers who now have to find other jobs.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I'm hoping that P3D now implements TrueSky, I really liked it.

I think you'll find that P3D will fill all the gaps, and will stick to the status quo of 100% open development. Personally I also think that P3D has just been slow to adopt PBR but that it will be in a future release. Makes sense with what they have implemented this far. It's like all the incremental steps are being taken to introduce the graphical entrancement so that they work.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

It was in a horrible state anyway. This was a bucket of really bad decisions from the start, so no surprise here. Good thing I bought it for less than 10 dollars.

Sad thing they did this before adding more planes but oh well.

I saw FSW as being the new flight sim for the masses and P3D as the sim of choice for professionals, real pilots, and hardcore flight sim users. Guess it will now be a competition between P3D and X-Plane for the future of flight sims. Sorry to see FSW go away and glad I bought it on sale for only $10.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Glad to see someone with a public voice talking sense. There has been a LOT of nonsense spouted by many of our community, shame on us.

I'd love to hear from those developers who have released Steam DLC or addons available from our usual channels. Get the truth out there finally. I think the perception of the community was far too cloudy due to misinformation coming from several sources, not helped by full clarity from DTG was the real reason this all went mammaries skywards.

A sad day, and we are the losers. Along with Daniel and his colleagues.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, HyFlyer for showing the video that shows how much disinformation has been spread about FSW by certain members of PMDG...and some of the community at large. Every time we lose a flight sim platform we all lose. Competition is good for all of us!

https://youtu.be/IAnWgBFPkIU
    Last edited by txnetcop; April 26th, 2018 at 08:26.
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    All those cheering FSW’s demise, “ask not for whom the bell tolls for it tolls for me”. We all lose when any FS company goes belly up.

I have FSW and still enjoy it and it cost me less than a decent meal.

Strange that most of the angst and fantasy has been posted in the FSX forum..........
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Strange that most of the angst and fantasy has been posted in the FSX forum..........
    Yep, I noticed that as well.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by HyFlyer View Post
    What puts this into context, however, is that PMDG were amongst the losing bidders for the franchise when it was up for grabs. Robert Randazzo, the founder of PMDG, has been highly critical of DTG and FSW since the initial release and there seems to be a definite element of sour grapes involved when you read his earlier comments. His predictions of doom and his vitriol against DTG almost certainly swayed some of the community and probably contributed to the demise of FSW.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    At last, a commentary that is rational and somewhat unbiased on fselite.net on the downfall of FSW. Well written from three points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    At last, a commentary that is rational and somewhat unbiased on fselite.net on the downfall of FSW. Well written from three points of view.
    The link if anyone would like to read the op-ed.

https://fselite.net/originals/fselit...ames-decision/

And the latest issue of Three Grumpy Simmers touches on it again while discussing how "early access" really isn't helping the community.

Jordan King seems to have vanished altogether which is a shame he did some good reviews and handy settings vids.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I don't know who Jordan King was prior to FSW. But from the videos I watched at the time, he seemed like he was new on the scene. I recall him making "authoritagive" comments about FSW and how it would accomplish things as if he were a long time community member and close to the industry. But those comments were in direct opposition to guys who are actually in the industry and who were right, almost to the day of the FSW collapse. So, to me there was no credibility to start and certainly none post, prediction failure. That said I found his videos pleasing to the eye and well thought out, in terms of flow. And his voice was easy to listen to if I'm not mistaken.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members who have read this thread: 12