questions on aircraft.cfg

Thread: questions on aircraft.cfg

Icon5 questions on aircraft.cfg

I have two questions:

Question 1. I want to combine two versions of the aircraft into one folder, for example: a regular Spitfire with a clip wing version. I can get the second aircraft to show up with a new airfile, panel, texture, and DP files by adding a number or letters in the [flightsim.1]

[fltsim.1]
    title=Spitfire 1
    sim=Spitfire1
    model=1
    panel=1
    sound=
    texture=1
    KB_checklists=

The aircraft are designed by two different designers, I need to adjust the [contact_points] and [views] settings on the second aircraft, is there a way to do that? I don't want to use a second aircraft folder because I am having too many aircraft folders.

Question 2. I have an airplane with a few repaint texture folders. I can fly the airplane with all the repaint texture folders because I named them using title=Spitfire 1, 2, 3, or 4.

When I tried to start a quick combat session using the aircraft with the second texture folder, I can not do it. I can only combat with the aircraft using the first texture folder (the one in [flightsim] with the title setting).

Thanks if you have the answer to these 2 questions!

Question 1:
    You cannot do that, because every aircraft within the same forlder will use the same 'aircraft.cfg' file.

Question 2:
    If you want the quick combat file (or any mission file) to call a different aircraft from the same folder, you may use the 'title' name (i.e. [fltsim.1]/title=Spitfire 1) instead of the folder name.

There is also a little bug when you want to change the aircraft you fly in quick combat. If the new aircraft you choose as player aircraft comes from the same aircraft folder as the one you used previously (but with a different skin), the game will not change the skin. You have to choose a totally different aircraft, start a quick combat session, quit this quick combat session and then you will be able to select the aircraft with the skin you want.

Obviously the Spits will have two distinct models - one for standard wings and another for clipped. So take the MODEL folder of the CW plane and name it as MODEL.CW, then put it in the standard Spitfire folder. You should now have two MODEL folders in the standard Spit folder - MODEL AND MODEL.CW.

Take the texture folder from the CW and name it TEXTURE.CW. Drop it in the standard folder also.

Now mod the aircraft.cfg in the standard folder like so:

[fltsim.0]
    title=Spitfire
    sim=Spitfire
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=
    KB_checklists =

[fltsim.1]
    title=Spitfire (clipped wing)
    sim=Spitfire
    model=CW
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=CW
    KB_checklists =

Now they can use the same sound, panel, air file and dp.

In QC, you can switch between them by using the Alt A key command to get to the selection window. You can also use this concept to fly multiple skins in the same folder:

[fltsim.0]
    title=Spitfire 1
    sim=Spitfire
    model=1
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=1
    KB_checklists =

[fltsim.1]
    title=Spitfire 2
    sim=Spitfire
    model=2
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=2
    KB_checklists =

[fltsim.2]
    title=Spitfire 3
    sim=Spitfire
    model=3
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=3
    KB_checklists =

[fltsim.3]
    title=Spitfire 4
    sim=Spitfire
    model=4
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=4
    KB_checklists =

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Thanks Roxane-21 and bearcat241 for the quick answers.

I think the answer to my first question is NO.

I did not post my second question correctly. I want to combat against the aircraft with the second or third paint texture. CFS2 always choose the first set of texture.

To Roxane-21, I am not too sure how to do what you have suggested. I changed the name to the second aircraft in qc_plane.qcb. CFS2 still wants to use the first set of texture file.

Question 2:
    If you want the quick combat file (or any mission file) to call a different aircraft from the same folder, you may use the 'title' name (i.e. [fltsim.1]/title=Spitfire 1) instead of the folder name.

Quote Originally Posted by acwai1 View Post
    I did not post my second question correctly. I want to combat against the aircraft with the second or third paint texture. CFS2 always choose the first set of texture.

To Roxane-21, I am not too sure how to do what you have suggested. In the CFS2 quick combat option, you can only select aircraft with the folder name.
    You need to edit the file you can find in the game's 'QUICKCOM' folder. You can do that with notepad.

I am away from my CFS2 desktop right now. Give me a couple of days and I will show you how to do.

Hi acwai1,

You might as well use separate folders as each [fltsim.X] entry counts towards your max AC count.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi acwai1,

You might as well use separate folders as each [fltsim.X] entry counts towards your max AC count.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Yep...I was holding that for later, but that's all there is.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Biggest issue in combining is that the performance characteristics, weights, fuel etc in the aircraft.cfg file will wind up being be the same for both types of aircraft, even if the air files are different. Not a big deal in some cases, but if you don't care ---

Thanks for all the answers, I guessed that it wasn't a good idea to combine aircraft folders.

On the question 2: I have some aircraft with more than one set of texture files, it seems a shame that I can not easily combat against them without creating a new aircraft folder for each paint scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by acwai1 View Post
    Thanks for all the answers, I guessed that it wasn't a good idea to combine aircraft folders.

On the question 2: I have some aircraft with more than one set of texture files, it seems a shame that I can not easily combat against them without creating a new aircraft folder for each paint scheme.
    welcome to the wonderful world of cfs2 limitation.

so cfs2 will always call on the first AC and texture in a folder. [fltsim.0] is what its calling. if you are doing missions there are work arounds in hand editing. but for qc the only real choice is to set the first ac as the one you want the ai to use. or in your case the texture. also make sure you add the models to the qc. putting them in the correct categories will give you a better experience. keep asking questions. everyone will do their best to help.

'til later,
    John
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0