Dcs P-47D thunderbolt news
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dcs P-47D thunderbolt news

Dcs P-47D thunderbolt news

***P-47 UPDATE***

Warbirds
    In addition to completing the final touches to the Spitfire (fuel tanks and bombs), our other primary focus has been the P-47D. More so than any other warbird though, this has been the biggest challenge due to the lack of data. Following the war, all wind tunnel and needed flight dynamics data was destroyed. To overcome this, we are using Flow Vision to recreate the needed data. This has proven a long and expensive endeavor. However, to create the detailed flight dynamics that DCS requires, we consider it mandatory.

Patrick

Sorry,those small renders don't do the cockpit any justice

Patrick

.......Beautiful!.......

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Few New Images from today's News letter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vgarF7J.jpg   dizAZR6.jpg  

Patrick

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Patrick, they are really very nice and I hope they indicate that the P-47 is finally on the way to release now. The newsletter also showed pics of a Mosquito, but I don’t know whether it is a flyable or just an AI aircraft.

Hello,Yes,The Mossie was a surprise to see,I hope to get further info soon.

Patrick

***Update***

"
    DCS: P-47 Progress Update
    One of the most anticipated WWII modules for DCS is the P-47 and we are excited to say it is getting close. We now have a brand new external model and cockpit in final phase of completion and our FM guru Yo-Yo is hard at work on the turbo-compressor unit and remaining FM issues. It shouldn't be much longer before you will get your hands on this wonderful module.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCS-P-47D-WIP-01-720.jpg  

Patrick

I'm in! Always been a huge P-47 fan, seen them fly in person several times. A very impressive aircraft even today, flown by some of the bravest men back in the day. Can't wait to get in the VC and go flying!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I used to really love The A2A version when I had FSX

Patrick

***P-47 News ***

DCS: P-47 Turbocharger Development
    Our FM designer, Dmitry “Yo-Yo” Moskalenko, shares some insight into the development of the P-47, specifically the turbocharger unit.

The P-47, in my mind, will be one of our most interesting aircraft from an engine handling point of view. We believe that it will be very challenging for users. It is one of the most interesting planes for developers from an engineer's point of view.

Let’s start from the point that this plane has no automatic boost control for manifold pressure, so it’s very easy to have it under or over-boosted during a dogfight. The automatic turbo governor of A-13 type (the most popular type) is far from perfect as the MP rises during climb and requires the pilot’s attention. Besides that, the pilot must watch the turbine speed and reduce boost not to over-speed as well as watch the carb temperature to avoid detonation.

Modelling the turbocharger, on the one hand, was new for us, but on the other hand, it represented an expansion of our existing thermodynamics method of modelling gas turbines and piston engines. So, we just added two existing parts: a turbine and a compressor coupling with a shaft, as we did for a gas turbine engine. The waste duct – a nozzle with a variable area – was used in our gas turbine engines and even in the War Emergency Power system for FW190A8 (waiting for its red button in the cockpit). The standard P&W R2800-5 engine with two-stage single speed geared supercharger receives fresh air not from the ram inlet but from the turbo supercharger – compressed and warmed through the intercooler which lowers its temperature. The exhaust gas flow feeds the turbine for compression.

Our system of equations, based on mass conservation law for airflow through the engine and gas parameters at each station, is now much heavier than with simple supercharger but remains robust. An automatic governor maintains the backpressure controlling the waste duct area. As nobody knows the exact parameters of the turbine and the charger, research was conducted as usual to determine their parameters from the data contained in several available test reports.

After calculations, the turbocharger was tested using the same schedule as for the real flight test profiles. The results are shown in the graphs. The first graph is a result of the “hands-off” test showing the backpressure kept at the same level as was set on the ground to generate 52” of Manifold Pressure and thus engine power increases with altitude gain. The second graph represents the test with MP kept constant manually, similar to the real test.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1807x657.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 3507x2479.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 3507x2479.

Patrick

DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt

Our next warbird for DCS World will be the P-47D Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt will be our first allied radial-engine warbird for DCS World, and it will fill in fun and interesting role in operations over western Europe and beyond. Combining both air-to-air and air-to-ground mission capability, it will provide a wealth of mission types, heavy armament, excellent protection, and long-range.

The P-47D is far along in development with mostly flight model tuning, adding object details, and creating the mission content. Suit up!

We plan to release a new World War II Europe map to coincide with the release of the P-47D.

Patrick

• P-47D-30 Progress - We are nearly ready to unleash the ‘Jug’ on DCS World! We are finalizing the 3D model and cockpit; making improvements to the fuselage, cowling, and air intakes; and working on externals stores like fuel tanks and bombs.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1920x1080.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1920x1080.

Patrick

Dang, my DCS hangar is getting larger and larger! Top-shelf stuff coming out!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

One of my old all time favorites. Can hardly wait to take her for a spin. Have watched the video of the late Jeff Ethell doing the history, walk-around, and flight of the P-47D many times over the years which I will be using to get ready for testing this module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RwPrdAej8

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank You for the link Storm

Patrick

FYI to all, that link I posted is one of many regarding the P-47. You can go on Youtube and pull up all of the original WW2 training films about this aircraft which are very informative.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

***new screens in today's news***

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCS-P-47D-04.jpg   DCS-P-47D-05.jpg   DCS-P-47D-06.jpg  

Patrick

***news***

Development Report #12
    P-47D-30 - Polishing of this module continues with work being done on the animations, textures, flight model, and combiner glass sight. A series of interactive training missions are also being created. We are pleased to share some new images of the Jug taken over the Channel Map. She is getting close!

1920×1080

1920×1080

1920×1080

Patrick

She's looking good!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

mask

The Pilots oxygen mask looks strange, don't recall seeing anything like that on Our Pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    The Pilots oxygen mask looks strange, don't recall seeing anything like that on Our Pilots.

Just passing by and noticed your post.

That oxygen mask looks very similar to those worn by bomber crews, as does the slightly strange helmet.
    I'll get on my way now.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

There were so many leather helmet types, I cannot make a call on that but the mask with that prominent low pressure side hose doesn't match anything I am aware of. The goggles look like B-7's with the typical hinged bridge between the eyes and amber tint.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

These are {WIP} "Work In Progress shots" so not sure if this pilot with mask is just a "placeholder"? Although I would think they'd use The Mustang Pilot for that?

I'll ck the DCS forums to find further info.

Patrick

I googled P-47 Pilot and came across these....Are they very different from what DCS is modeling?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Francis_Gabreski_color_photo_in_pilot_suit.jpg   992877bb68cb9afbe70489bb5522581b.jpg   170731-A-ZZ111-001.jpg  

Patrick

Members who have read this thread: 0