Spitfire and Mustang recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire and Mustang recommendations

The only FSX P51D I have are several Warbirdsim ones and I'm very happy with them. The fact that it is not accompanied by "Accusim" doesn't mean that it isn't realistic. You can fly (or even should) fly the WBS P51D by the book and it all different models are absolutely authentic.

When you consider the Mk.V Spitfire a "late model", the RealAir model (Mk.IX and Mk.XIV) and the JustFlight (Mk.V) are the options. They both have their strong points but also their limitations. I personally prefer the looks of the JF Spitfire and to fly the RealAir one. But they are both nice and its a matter of personal preference which one you like best.

Cheers,
    Huub

A2A Spitfire Mk.I flies in P3Dv3 without any problems.
    It functions in P3Dv4 without any major dramas but for the moment it's not quite right.

The glazing is a little hazy but can be either ignored or fixed by turning off reflections IIRC.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    The only FSX P51D I have are several Warbirdsim ones and I'm very happy with them. The fact that it is not accompanied by "Accusim" doesn't mean that it isn't realistic. You can fly (or even should) fly the WBS P51D by the book and it all different models are absolutely authentic.
    As I said, the Warbirdsim Mustangs are realistic, for the flight models, 3D models and textures.
    But the Accusim brings much more.
    So it depends how much realism and which features you're looking for, that's all.

Didn't quite escape.
    All credit to WBS as deserved, but the difference between their Mustang and the A2A one isn't "realism", it's "consequences".

If you don't operate the WBS Mustangs within limits (I have a bunch of them and think they're excellent) then... You didn't fly it by the numbers. That's it. If you don't operate the A2A Mustang within the limits, it breaks.

That, I think, is what people are referring to as "realism", rather than being able to operate by the book numbers.

The consequences of mishandling and abusing are what stops the majority of otherwise fantastic models reaching their full potential, but that's primarily a sim issue, not an add-on one. While getting aircraft to stall correctly and spin is a work of art, rather than a default, for example, and while you can run engines in the red forever, then we need things like Accu-Sim and the 'failure' modules to bring said consequences.

Cheers,

Ian P.

In my FS world, most the time I like to just get in and fly.

That is easily done with the WBS Mustangs, but you can also do that with the A2A Accu-sim Mustangs. The pop-up menu provides the option of a quick-start and the ability to turn off the damage, for example.

One other difference between these two Mustangs is the sound. With the Accu-sim version there are a lot of additional squeaks and groans from the landing gear and fuselage as you taxi.

As already stated, both versions have a lot of available repaints. The WBS version offers many different Mustang models, but you have to purchase each package to get them whereas there are only two packages for the A2A version.

As you can see from my Avatar, I've photographed "American Beauty" at one of the local air shows near my home. I have several repaints of it for both the WBS and A2A Mustangs, the A2A modern model being my favorite. The cockpit layout is not accurate as compared to the real plane, but there are some additional textures for the VC that get it pretty close.

Bottom line is that I like both and fly both.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Got lucky and received the last copy of the Real Air Spitfire package that Aerosoft had,they are now out of stock. Otherwise the only place I have seen it was from Amazon, and its sold by a company in the UK for $45 plus shipping. Got mine for a lot cheaper then that luckily. Cost just under 13 euro's to buy and ship from Germany, translates to around $16, not even half of what Amazon wants, so you don't always get the best price from them either!
    Last edited by eddie; April 19th, 2018 at 11:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    As I said, the Warbirdsim Mustangs are realistic, for the flight models, 3D models and textures.
    But the Accusim brings much more.
    So it depends how much realism and which features you're looking for, that's all.
    That is exactly what I tried to say. Accusim just brings some extra features. There is no real difference in realism for the part both models cover.

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    The consequences of mishandling and abusing are what stops the majority of otherwise fantastic models reaching their full potential, but that's primarily a sim issue, not an add-on one. While getting aircraft to stall correctly and spin is a work of art, rather than a default, for example, and while you can run engines in the red forever, then we need things like Accu-Sim and the 'failure' modules to bring said consequences.
    The RealAir model, which is mentioned in this thread often, doesn't have Accusim but your engine will definitely die, with a huge splash of oil, when you don't keep it within the limits. And this is not the only one. For instance the Classics Hangars FW190 will break when you don't fly them within the limits and even the later model are more reliable than the early models. The Aerosoft Catalina is also a nice example of an aircraft which needs to be flown carefully, because it will fail other wise.

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    That is exactly what I tried to say. Accusim just brings some extra features. There is no difference in realism for the part both models cover.

Huub
    I understand what you mean, but it is incorrect to say that Accusim just brings more features.
    Accusim models much more aspects of the plane, including the physical behavior of the plane and the behavior of the engine, including supercharger (for the Mustang), types of props (for the Spit), wear, damage, fuel and oil consumption, evolution of temperatures, icing, fouling etc... resulting in a more realistic engine behavior and aircraft performances. Which means, additional realism. Not just features.

Didn't quite escape.
    Can I just suggest here that there is a breakdown in terminology - possibly caused by "English as a second language" all round?*

I think what both of you are trying to say is that you want different things from an aircraft. One person wants 'just get in and fly to realistic numbers' and the other prefers 'consequences to messing up by not flying at realistic numbers'.

As someone put it to me in Skype yesterday: "Warbirdsim = more accurate models, generic systems; A2A = generic models, more accurate systems".

Take your pick... Or get both, which is always the ultimate best answer.

Cheers,

Ian P.

(* - This includes me. My primary language is utter gibberish.)

Real Air Spitfire PC DVD Game UK

Platform : Windows 7

Price:
    $44.26 + $3.99 shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Real Air Spitfire PC DVD Game UK

Platform : Windows 7

Price:
    $44.26 + $3.99 shipping
    And the disk version runs in P3D4 very nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-4-25_17-4-29-781.jpg  

Well I guess there is your answer, depends on what your sim experience needs are. I have no comment to make about P-51's I have none. I have the A2A and RealAir Spitfire but for two different reasons.

The A2A because it is the early Mark and is a classic in its own right. And is a typical A2A product, detailed, correct and all those things.
    The Real Air Mk IX and later Marks because the Mark IX was the one used by the RAAF extensively which is where my interest lay.

The two Spitfires are very different in some aspects. Size and power being one of them, so there is a difference not just who made them. I do not find either of them difficult to fly or get going and both are great fun in many aspects. They are both difficult on the ground in some aspects having a narrow undercarriage and the pilot sitting back near the wing trailing edge so you have a long nose in front of you and that takes some getting used to. It is great fun to do aerobatics in the Spitfire but I have yet to get any sim model to do a stall turn or spin properly and the Spitfire had a nasty wing drop and would spin very violently in a nose down attitude very quickly.

I would grab the Real Air while I could, it is a classic.

Did owners of the old Real Air Spitfire for FSX know there is now an installer for Prepar3d at the Real Air website. The aircraft looks even better!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-7-5_18-29-48-459 (2).jpg   2019-6-5_17-37-16-613.jpg  

I will recommend the JF Spitfire Mk I/II, and also the RealAir Spitfire (if it is possible to get it now)

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

Another vote for the RA Spit, and she really is even better in P3D v4.5 as the other member remarked... BTW Gunnar- your screenies/paint-work are always lovely!

Best- Carl

This thread prompted me to load the Realair Spit into P3Dv4.5. I had forgotten how ahead of it's time this model was! It is still excellent!

Mike

SOH-CM-2023
    Someone brought this back from the abyss.... LOL

Anyway, I bought the A2A Civilian Stang mostly for the modern cockpit as I use it as a fun flyer/cross country machine. For the Spit, I eventually decided on the Just Flight Mk5 package. Looks nice. fly's nice and does what I want it to.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshack View Post
    Did owners of the old Real Air Spitfire for FSX know there is now an installer for Prepar3d at the Real Air website.
    Please can you post a link, or describe how to get to a download for this file ...

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshack View Post
    Did owners of the old Real Air Spitfire for FSX know there is now an installer for Prepar3d at the Real Air website. The aircraft looks even better!

Thanks for the info. I actually bought the disc version off Ebay just last year.

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    Please can you post a link, or describe how to get to a download for this file ...

http://realairsimulations.net/
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

shotgunshack6 - Genius find. I had some issues with my hard drive and it corrupted the directory I kept the Real Air Spit for storage while I did a rebuild of FSX. Almost had a heart attack when the old installer failed to run but thanks to the new link this gem is back in the main sim hangar where it belongs.

If you want to get closer to AccuSim, there's always AccuFeel, which works for all a/c and adds all the rumbles, squeals and wind noise you could want. i wouldn't be without it myself.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    You can't. It is no longer available for download.

Two people in posts up above posted links to the boxed version you can order from Amazon.

Here's the link for P3d v4 https://realairsimulations.net/
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

And it seems there are still a few boxed versions available: https://www.aerosoft.com/de/flugsimu...alair-spitfire
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Members who have read this thread: 0