GAS WIP - Stearman - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GAS WIP - Stearman

Quote Originally Posted by mgchrist5 View Post

I really like the inclusion of a virtual head in the front cockpit, too. That's a nice touch of immersion when flying an open tandem seater.
    +1 !!

But Heywoood's piccie above shows that the helmet texture is mirrored, making it stand out quite a bit from the otherwise lovely detailed aft cockpit. (IMHO of course.. )

Please,GAS, would it be too much to ask if something might still be done about that ? For your convenience i have rounded up 4 photos of the back of the famous AN-H-15 cloth helmet. The top right is of a H-15 with modern earphones. Good chance such a combo might be used to fly an open cockpit today. Here are more photos of it : http://www.flighthelmet.com/mm5/merc...Category_Code=

What do you say, GAS ? Still possible maybe ? ( if we choose to fly with a passenger or student (*I* certainly would..) we'd be looking at it all the time ! .... ;-)

Thank you very much for considering!

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    +1 !!

But Heywoood's piccie above shows that the helmet texture is mirrored, making it stand out quite a bit from the otherwise lovely detailed aft cockpit. (IMHO of course.. )

Please,GAS, would it be too much to ask if something might still be done about that ? For your convenience i have rounded up 4 photos of the back of the famous AN-H-15 cloth helmet. The top right is of a H-15 with modern earphones. Good chance such a combo might be used to fly an open cockpit today. Here are more photos of it : http://www.flighthelmet.com/mm5/merc...Category_Code=

What do you say, GAS ? Still possible maybe ? ( if we choose to fly with a passenger or student (*I* certainly would..) we'd be looking at it all the time ! .... ;-)

Thank you very much for considering!

Cheers,
    Jan
    Not a bad idea. Done!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails head.jpg  

I have been following this one with much interest, as you may guess ;-). I've been hoping someone would make a good Stearman for the sim for quite a while now.

Along those lines, it occurs to me I may be qualified if you're looking for beta testers. I've got probably around 1,000 hours flying and teaching in a 1941 PT-17 with the stock 220hp Continental. I last flew her 10 years ago before moving out of the midwest, but I can close my eyes now and remember every feel, every smell, every sound of both pits, how she felt in every phase of flight, the way the mains would whisper into the grass on a perfectly timed wheel landing... You get the idea. She remains my first true love in aviation. Every pair of jeans I owned during that time had oil stains, from the oil that would crawl up the tach cable and drip on my ankle in the front pit. ;-)

So if I can offer any help, feel free to let me know. I'm not trying to scam anything for free; she'll be a day one purchase for me either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    Not a bad idea. Done!
    Brilliant, Spad ! Thanks very much !

I am certainly not someone who'll grab a whole hand when he's givin a finger but can you please give the student/passenger head a Tick18 anim, pretty please ? ( i've got just about all your GAS models so i know you usually bind the pilot's head to the rudder anim..) Great example is in Ant's freeware Tiggy.... There's really something alive up there in the front seat..

Thanks again!

cheers,
    jan

There's really something alive up there in the front seat..
    Okay, now I can't resist posting this...

MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Brilliant, Spad ! Thanks very much !

I am certainly not someone who'll grab a whole hand when he's givin a finger but can you please give the student/passenger head a Tick18 anim, pretty please ? ( i've got just about all your GAS models so i know you usually bind the pilot's head to the rudder anim..) Great example is in Ant's freeware Tiggy.... There's really something alive up there in the front seat..

Thanks again!

cheers,
    jan
    certainly worth looking onto. Something that I have not been successful making work in the past, but also it was never a priority. I'll ask around for help in making trying to make that happen

Thanks Spad ! I sent you a PM.

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Okay, now I can't resist posting this...

Dunno how you do that but that's just brilliant, Mark !

Cheers,
    Jan

Tick_18 animation

Eureka! Thanks all for the willingness to help me crack the animation nut. I stumbled upon the solution on the FS Developer forum. The red herring was Tick_18 itself. FSX does not use that tag. The correct tag is Ambient. Once used the animation works flawlessly. Now to smooth it out with additional keyframes.

Will be so cool

Can't wait until this one is all done. It just keeps getting better and better.

wheel chocks and tied down

I know someone asked about this. Just finished adding the wheel chocks, ties downs and dust rain cover. Visible when the parking brake is activated. Now for brake lines and begin the PT-13/N2S-5 modification.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image33.jpg  

Looking better and better

I'm waiting patiently, but am becoming excited. This new Stearman looks better and better.

I know someone asked about this. Just finished adding the wheel chocks, ties downs and dust rain cover. Visible when the parking brake is activated. Now for brake lines and begin the PT-13/N2S-5 modification.
    Great news about the N2S-5!! Looking forward this project.

The Best Keeps Coming

You just keep making this better and better, those shots are beautiful. Your team is rivaling the best designers out there IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by mgchrist5 View Post
    Now THAT sounds very intriguing. I'm guessing this is a simulation of the early hand-cranked inertia starters? Guess we'll find out soon enough!

I really like the inclusion of a virtual head in the front cockpit, too. That's a nice touch of immersion when flying an open tandem seater. This'll definitely be a day-one buy for me!
    That function is simulated in the model. Selecting the camera view in the view menu places the eye point at the crew station starting equipment panel. A mouse hot point activates that crank which when clicked triggers the animation ans sound file of the inertia started flywheel. At the of the animation the user clicks the start lever starting the engine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails insert_crank.jpg   crank.jpg  

Looking impressive. Really looking forward for release.

Really nice. Love the cranking feature!

We have one in flying condition at Tatoi, my aeroclub's base, but it rarely flies. It is part of a private collection of warbirds belonging to a wealthy shipowning and media owning family.

Here's yours truly in front of it, when I got the chance to sneak into their hangar a few years back. You can see the Jungmeister and the Jungmann in the background:

The engine is different than yours. I can't recall if you mentioned including different engine options/models? If so then this is another repaint due for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Really nice. Love the cranking feature!

We have one in flying condition at Tatoi, my aeroclub's base, but it rarely flies. It is part of a private collection of warbirds belonging to a wealthy shipowning and media owning family.

Here's yours truly in front of it, when I got the chance to sneak into their hangar a few years back. You can see the Jungmeister and the Jungmann in the background:

The engine is different than yours. I can't recall if you mentioned including different engine options/models? If so then this is another repaint due for me.

That looks like the PT-13/N2S-5 with the Lycoming R-680 hanging out front. That modification is in process and will be included in the release of the first of two volumes. Volume 1 being the military birds and Volume 2 the Super Stearmans. There will be a paint kit for those painters put there.

Cockpit shots

Here are some views of the complete cockpits. A modest amount of wear will be added before release

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image35.jpg   Image34.jpg   Image36.jpg  

Looking great Paul
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Absolutely

You and your team are truly outdoing yourselves with these. Positivly beautiful.

That looks like the PT-13/N2S-5 with the Lycoming R-680 hanging out front. That modification is in process and will be included in the release of the first of two volumes. Volume 1 being the military birds and Volume 2 the Super Stearmans. There will be a paint kit for those painters put there.
    Excellent!

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Looking forward to another GAS masterpiece.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Pt-13 n2s-5

The modeling of the PT-13 variant is complete. Product testing continues. Flight dynamics are under review and modification with the assistance of a Stearman instructor pilot with over 1000 hours in type. If all goes according to plan, the military Stearman package could be ready for release toward the end of August with a "Super Stearman" package out late 3rd quarter.

The Army version represents the PT-13 on display at the US Air Force museum in Dayton OH

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image41.jpg   Image42.jpg   Image40.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0