Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5789101112131415

Thread: Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    MZee,

I put together an XF-92A AB Update package for you and other XF-92A SP2 users with three items:

1) AB Gauge for the Panel/xf92a folder
    2) Panel.cfg with required changes
    3) Aircraft.cfg with required changes

So, unzip and put the items in their respective folders and test.
    You'll know if they work as you should hear the "Bang" when the afterburner kicks in and maybe feel a surge forward.
    Thank-you, very much, Milton. I will download and test in the coming days. You're the best !
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Just downloaded and tested it and all works OK ! Thank-you, once again.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Just downloaded and tested it and all works OK ! Thank-you, once again.
    Ah, great! Thanks for the follow up.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Afterburner bleed through

A tiny quibble.... I am getting a bleed through to the outer textures from the afterburner effect, as in the picture below....

This is on FSX with DX10....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails burner.jpg  

Hi John, thanks for your comment. Yes, this is a known issue and I will try to reduce it a bit.

The problem is with FSX, the effect moves left and right depending on the aircraft heading. Sometimes you see this on the left, sometimes on the right, sometimes not at all when centered.

See attached and note the center of the effect inside and the view of the effect on the outsides. I will try to reduce the effect size a bit to eliminate the issue.

EDIT: Update - issue now corrected
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-oct-29-004.jpg   ms-2018-oct-29-005.jpg   ms-2018-oct-29-006.jpg   ms-2018-oct-29-007.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; October 29th, 2018 at 06:49. Reason: Update: Corrected
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post

EDIT: Update - issue now corrected
    Thanks, Milton, that's great.

John

Definitely a fast flier even at lower altitudes. It even tends to outrun it's own MACH envelope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MACH.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	64490
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Definitely a fast flier even at lower altitudes. It even tends to outrun it's own MACH envelope.

Hmm.. Indeed.. We had a heck of a time with this specific phenomena, and we learnd a new romper room word. "Mean Aerodynamic Center". ::chucklees:: Poor Milton and the crew hvw heard this from me a million times already so I'do apologize, but this plane utilized a technology that hadnt actually been discovered yet, and this cause no end of issues, but also was the main cause for what instabilitry this plane had. Oddly, your photogrph shows this trechnology off wonderfully. you see, this thing didnt have ten foot wide wings. it had those, then it had the entire underbelly acting as a lifting surface.
    This gave us some interesting aerodynamics.. The CGwould shift backwards to 25% root chord during transsonic runs, and the MAC ( Center of balance or mean aerodynamic center ) would remain at the indicated CG point 1.25 feet infront of the wings LE. this caused force to be applied further back along the chord and in a downward direction, forcing the nose to want to rise.. I tried as best i could to manage the force being ecerted upwards on the nose by varying the length of the lifting surface. When thhe actual adverse condition showed itself to be docile in nature ( comparitively ) it became more a matter of adjusting lengths and sizes to manage the effect best.

SOH-CM-2023
    Pam, your explanation above helps explain the phenomena I see after I have dived her to M=1 & in subsequent flight she goes like a dingbat throttle reduced or even closed. Is the MAC not resetting or the induced drag not reducing I wonder.
    The other thing I was wondering, did the wings have any incidence?

Looks as if you are well on the mend & feeling better?

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Pam, your explanation above helps explain the phenomena I see after I have dived her to M=1 & in subsequent flight she goes like a dingbat throttle reduced or even closed. Is the MAC not resetting or the induced drag not reducing I wonder.
    The other thing I was wondering, did the wings have any incidence?

Looks as if you are well on the mend & feeling better?

Keith
    Keith, these may help answer some of your questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-jan-26-015.jpg   ms-2018-jan-26-020.jpg   ms-2018-jan-26-021.jpg   x3 wing plan.jpg   CoG2.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2023
    Milton, Thank you very much for that information, very enlightening & surprised that there is zero incidence, so induced drag from the fuselage will be very high, seeing as she appears to have about 7° at cruise speed.
    Keith

I don't know what cruise speed is, but for me, it's just below where AB kicks in. If that is less than 350 kias, then you need to be using flaps 1 notch per the manual. That brings the nose down.

EDIT: I also believe that any aircraft designed (at least in this period) for M=2 would have zero incidence.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Hi Guys..
    Just took her up last night.. Still in outpatient though so bear with me.. She's beautiful.. I DO wish these simulators had a more robust random number generator as it would remove that cookie cutter exoperience when you hit the critical speed and angle for adverse yaw. But it is what it is and frankly, i think we did ok..

And yes Kieth. What the plane is doing is searching for equilibrium and theres a few factors at play here..

above 0.85 Mach ( low transsonic ), your CG is moving backwards along with the CP. Between o.85MM and 1.2M the CG will travel behind the main wing ( barely but none the less, behind ) The CP travels to approx. 75% MAC ( the hinge area for the flaps ), but the Neutral Point or Mean Aerodynamic Center remains its loving 1.25 feet in front of and above the wing leading edge.

Now, theres a lot to why it goes batty when you try to rotate the aircraft at transsonic speed, and well frankly those mostly have to do with how weight is distributed throughout the fuselage, but become compounded by the behavior of the CG Vs CP.

As long as your transsonic, you will not have any trim at all, and under certain conditions, you wont have any control ay all.

However,

As you reduce speed back below 0.85 machthe CG moves forward as does the CP, and centers around the mean aerodynamic center with the CP lagging slightly behind on the tip of the wings leading edge, and the plain returns to normal flight..

Thanks, Milton and Pam for the detailed explanations! No wonder I have made so many "6 Billion Dollar Man" (adjusting for inflation) opening scene landings! I've already worn out my bubble-wrap flight suitMany more flights to come
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Aha! A hint at the next project Pam?? An X-15 launching from a B-52

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Aha! A hint at the next project Pam?? An X-15 launching from a B-52
    Welll, I'm afraid the next project for me, is just to get out of the outpatient clinic and home safe, then reduce the amount of plaque buildup in my Aorta so it doesnt try and kill me again. After that, I may just give that millenium Falcon a good old college try.. The bypass they put in is allowing much more oxygen to go to all parts of my body ( even though its still reduced from the lng disease ) so i just might be a little more capable of some of the stuff i used to do.. I just gotta get outta here first .. Thinking back, I guess i must have had a heart attack?? Never had one before.. Hard to believe.. I'm strong like bull, and usually full of it too ::lol:.. OH, XPlane!! had a default X15. I believe its droppable..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Welll, I'm afraid the next project for me, is just to get out of the outpatient clinic and home safe, then reduce the amount of plaque buildup in my Aorta so it doesnt try and kill me again. After that, I may just give that millenium Falcon a good old college try.. The bypass they put in is allowing much more oxygen to go to all parts of my body ( even though its still reduced from the lng disease ) so i just might be a little more capable of some of the stuff i used to do.. I just gotta get outta here first .. Thinking back, I guess i must have had a heart attack?? Never had one before.. Hard to believe.. I'm strong like bull, and usually full of it too ::lol:.. OH, XPlane!! had a default X15. I believe its droppable..
    You go, Girl! Sounds like you are doing better as each day passes. Remember what it takes to get released from captivity....P, P, & F

Just a further heads up for those following this thread: I uploaded paint kits for Milton and Team's X-3 Stiletto. As noted in the release they are "simplified" kits with no folders or liveries save for a few operational markings. Both Photoshop and Paintshop Pro kits are available.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wingstails.jpg   fuserear.jpg   fusefront.jpg  

Thank you Wellis :-)

And for those of you looking for Wellis' other PK's and paints:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=88393&sort=d
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 3