Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native - Page 6
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native

Pam:

The mach drag can be directly modeled in the .Air file, Table 430. The major issue with it is that it is in .2 Mach intervals, would be nice if it was a closer spacing.

Cheers: T

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Pam:

The mach drag can be directly modeled in the .Air file, Table 430. The major issue with it is that it is in .2 Mach intervals, would be nice if it was a closer spacing.

I.m not so sure microsoft could ever perceive that anyone would delve this deep into flight characteristics. They wouldnt have a reason to think more granularity is needed.. Mach drag doesnt have an effect until 0.75 mach, so the normal airliners see only a limited amount of its effect. concorde sees its full effect, but has enough power it isnt even noticeable to the normal passenger..
    I dont normally like messing with tables, because i make so many mistakes, but i guess i need to learn eh??

Looks like table 430 takes care of that and that thrust does in fact overcome it in our little aircraft that can :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machdrag.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    So heres something thats blowing my mind. According to the airlinerpilots page, as you go supersonic, the pressure wave turns rectangular??

https://www.theairlinepilots.com/for...2bb65065e8dd3f

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Looks like table 430 takes care of that and that thrust does in fact overcome it in our little aircraft that can :-)
    Excellent.. . I can be my typical little cowardly self and not cause any grief .. I really like that.. ::LOL::

Now, if we take that ([ correction ]) drag curve, and add in the below, overlaying it in our minds ( because we dont have a million dollar wind tunnel ) we start to see a complete picture..

On a typical transonic airfoil the transonic rearward shift of the CP occurs at about M 0.75 to M 0.98

On an example wing (Symmetrical at 2 deg alpha with MCrit at M0.75)

At MFS (free stream Mach) of M0.75:

- Mini shockwaves form on upper surface of wing.

- CP 20%

MFS between M0.75 and M0.81:

- As Mach number increases the shock waves join up and move aft.

At MFS of M0.81:

- A single clearly defined shockwave is formed at 70% chord.

- CP moves aft to 30%

- Bottom flow (not so fast at 2 deg alpha) is not yet sonic. Its just below it.

At MFS of M0.89:

- Top shockwave is stuck at 70% chord (high pressure behind it).

- Bottom shockwave is at the trailing edge.

- CP moves forward to 15%

At MFS of M0.98:

- Both shockwaves at trailing edge.

- CP moves back to 45% (in the transition from M0.89 to M0.98 )

At MFS of M1.4:

- Bow shock attaches (MDet)

- Trailing edge shocks become oblique.

- CP 50%

Blog Entries
    And your right zMilton. This is definately the little plane that can. Westinghouse may have screwed up, but douglas created something amazing..

Intereresting test flight. Got up to M 1.02 in level flight at 25,000' (ISA). However in a dive to M 1.25, I found the ailerons completely loose effectiveness above M 1.1. The plane will remain in whatever roll attitude it is in without regard to cockpit input.

Interesting in the .Air file there are more entries for Mach related effects than any other single area. Hmmmm.

The 737 started hitting a mach drag slope after M .74, any faster took a lot of thrust. The 747, especially, was a race car. It was optimized for about M .86 but would cruise happily all day at M .90-.92. At that speed one could crane their neck around in the cockpit and see a shockwave standing up about 10-15 feet inside the winglet. However at those speeds (much higher was possible if not certified) fuel consumption increased significantly.

Blog Entries
    If you continue to accelerate you will find that that loss of aileron control i the onset of reverse control. left aileron will cause the plane to roll to the right, and right aileron will cause the plane to roll to the left. Its a bit primitive, but its exactly in line with this aircrafts adverse yaw behavior..

The usual reason for aileron reversal is wing flexibility. What happens is the aileron starts acting as a booster tab and warps the wing in the opposite direction. It's that reason that large swept wing aircraft usually have the outboard ailerons locked out above a certain speed and roll control is provided by inboard ailerons and spoilers.

However, as you point out, in the high transonic environment the drag induced by one wing developing critical mach over that wing and not the other can cause a change in lift and drag inducing an opposite roll moment. As shockwaves in this environment come and go quickly when on the "edge" I would guess it is sudden onset condition and not preceded by aileron lock over any appreciable speed range. Any info on that?

Interesting airplane! I did successfully land it at KEDW using about 2/3 runway! Haven't crashed it yet...

Pam:

That's what table 154a is for, but it's not usable for RTM/SP1/SP2 users.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    So heres something thats blowing my mind. According to the airlinerpilots page, as you go supersonic, the pressure wave turns rectangular??

https://www.theairlinepilots.com/for...2bb65065e8dd3f
    This only denotes an almost instantaneous pressure increase.

Members +
    Is there anyway we can use some of the configs in FS2004? Or are they unique to FSX

Yes the 154a table (at the very bottom of the F18 .Air file) is probably what the 430 table should have been but given the Freeware market segment we are probably stuck with the 430 table for compatibility. I think I may still have the RTM version on an ancient computer somewhere, running XP.

Both the XF 92A and the X-3, along with many jets of the era suffered from low available thrust. A skating buddy of mine was a WIZZo on the B-47, what interesting stories! Not enough thrust, just add engines! Even the 747 project almost failed due to engines, the first ones needed water injection to meet takeoff performance requirements. A long way from the sky rocket the 400 was.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had to re-do the gear doors. Available time has limited progress but now have left side doors, hinges, actuating rods, interior bay area, floor, ceiling, ribs, etc. close to done. Just got to tie the upper and lower actuating rods together to a common junction used to rotate the doors.

Then, on to the wheels and tires, torque links, brake lines, .... then clone for the other side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails geardr2.jpg   geardr1.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Yes the 154a table (at the very bottom of the F18 .Air file) is probably what the 430 table should have been but given the Freeware market segment we are probably stuck with the 430 table for compatibility. I think I may still have the RTM version on an ancient computer somewhere, running XP.
    Primarily use table 154a, then put interpolated values into table 430 and a disclaimer in the manual that the thing won't fly quite correctly in RTM/SP1/SP2. FSX will choose the best table automatically. Problem solved.

Slowly making progress to complete the left gear bay, doors, and the many gear parts and animations. A couple of brake line animations to do, then clone for the other side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-apr-26-002.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Having some landing gear instead of the magnetic levitation will be nice addition! Looking good!!

Yes, main gear finally modeled, animated, and working.

Now, on to the nose gear. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mains.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

It's looking good....painters are getting restless...

Thanks for the comments.

Building the gear components from scratch so it is taking some time. But have gotten over the hump and now working to finalize the nose gear braces, damper, door cutouts, hinges and little stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-apr-28-005.jpg   ms-2018-apr-28-006.jpg   ms-2018-apr-28-007.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Straight on, foreshortened, it looks like a mouse?

Proceeding very well indeed!

T

Straight on, foreshortened, it looks like a mouse?

Proceeding very well indeed!

T
    LOL It does indeed, just like the real thing head on. A lot of hours invested trying to get the right look and proportions without cross sections to help. Yes, it can be done, but it is painfully tedious.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    and extremely appreciated.. its looking wonderful..besides, the fact it looks like a supersonic mouse is one of the things i fell in love with when i was just six years old ..

Thanks Jafo and Pam.

@Jafo, understand the restless thing. That's how I am until I get the modeling and mapping done and can make it available to the paint shop. :-)

Pam and Tom, I should have you an updated package today or early Sunday.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    thats great Milton.. Thank you..
    With the RF-61 released to beta, I should be able to switch over and focus on the X-3 more intently within the next few days.. It's going to be a major amount of fun ..

Members who have read this thread: 2