Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native - Page 10
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native

Beautiful. Thank you for the update, Milton.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Blog Entries
    C'Mon guys..this thing may have been underwhelming in performance but the J-34 more than made up for it in sound.. The sound profile on the J-34 was surpassed only by the Avons used on the B-2 Vulcan.. Check out its Growl..

Shucks, can't get it to play.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Shucks, can't get it to play.
    Did you try playing it directly from You Tube??.. theres also a ton of J-34 run up videos there that were recorded from the front and the sides. sadly the growl is heard mainly from the aft quarter..
    This video isnt as good as the tech that is runnning the engine is doing something weird and the cameraman didntlet it run up all the way..

Here are two screens of the VC I should have included above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-jun-28-005.jpg   ms-2018-jun-28-006.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

That looks amazing Milton. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Here are two screens of the VC I should have included above.
    Awesome work as always Milton.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Me is champing at the bit...

That's a nice looking cockpit, great work!
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    C'Mon guys..this thing may have been underwhelming in performance but the J-34 more than made up for it in sound.. The sound profile on the J-34 was surpassed only by the Avons used on the B-2 Vulcan.. Check out its Growl..
    That delayed Light-Off was certainly undesirable! Last time I saw that happen was when I was assisting starting a Lear 23 (which happened to be the oldest Learjet flying in the late 80's/early 90's) and they were having issues with the fuel feed & pressurization system on #1 which is also the side where the GPU receptacle is located (on the fuselage under the left engine). During the prolonged spool-up of #1, raw Jet-A Fuel was pouring out of the nozzle onto the ground and the delayed light-off pretty much was the same as this video BUT in this case it endangered the aircraft, crew and ground crews & GPU. I had to suppress the fire on the ramp with a fire bottle and then rapidly close the electrical contact switch on the GPU + unplug it from the aircraft and push it out of the way. It all happened in seconds! Scary stuff at times!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    It certainly was a noisy, smokey engine, and very underpowered. I went through basic jet training at NAS Meridian, Mississippi in the single engine T-2A. Most people are more familiar with the two engine T-2B and T-2C, powered by J-60s and J-85s, respectively.

During 4-plane formation training, it was easy to keep track of everyone during a running rendezvous after taking off at 10 second intervals. If you were number 4, you couldn't see the lead airplane as you started the takeoff roll, but you sure could see his smoke trail, along with the #2 and #3 as well. Once at altitude and back on the power, I seem to recall they did not smoke all that much - if at all - though.

SOH-CM-2023
    I think you will find that Vulcan B2's were fitted with Olympus - the prototype B1 had Avons.
    The noisiest aircraft I can recall was the AW52 - it had a very high pitched scream as well as the exhaust roar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    That delayed Light-Off was certainly undesirable! Last time I saw that happen was when I was assisting starting a Lear 23 (which happened to be the oldest Learjet flying in the late 80's/early 90's) and they were having issues with the fuel feed & pressurization system on #1 which is also the side where the GPU receptacle is located (on the fuselage under the left engine). During the prolonged spool-up of #1, raw Jet-A Fuel was pouring out of the nozzle onto the ground and the delayed light-off pretty much was the same as this video BUT in this case it endangered the aircraft, crew and ground crews & GPU. I had to suppress the fire on the ramp with a fire bottle and then rapidly close the electrical contact switch on the GPU + unplug it from the aircraft and push it out of the way. It all happened in seconds! Scary stuff at times!
    Yes, Fire coming out the pipe during startuipis usually a bad sign. Not being a powerplant person i can only assume what you described is exactly whats happening here.. Either way, its sad..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    It certainly was a noisy, smokey engine, and very underpowered. I went through basic jet training at NAS Meridian, Mississippi in the single engine T-2A. Most people are more familiar with the two engine T-2B and T-2C, powered by J-60s and J-85s, respectively.

During 4-plane formation training, it was easy to keep track of everyone during a running rendezvous after taking off at 10 second intervals. If you were number 4, you couldn't see the lead airplane as you started the takeoff roll, but you sure could see his smoke trail, along with the #2 and #3 as well. Once at altitude and back on the power, I seem to recall they did not smoke all that much - if at all - though.
    Breaking it down all the way, the J-34 wasnt a bad engine. It powered a lot of great aircraft from that time period, but the X-3 had several thousand pounds on all of them. Mind you, the X-3 was small, and perhaps too nimble, but it's reality was that it weighed 22000 pounds which was the same as a B-25 bomber..The fact that that lil engine vcould drive this plane anywhere close to mach 1 was in myt mind a miracle, but it did it and it did it with gusto.. 9000 pounds is only around 3000 pounds off from ideal, because once you break mach 1, the drag drops to half and it becomes much easier to achieve Mach 2. However, please dont ask for Mach 2. Westinghouse was incapable of packaging 6000 pounds of thrust in a 27" wide engine, and evewn if they had, the plane would have become completely and fataly unflyable somewhere just above mach 1 due to the then unforseen anomolies involved with that specific design.

Paul Currently is running the fdethrough his sieve of utilities and dialing it in. I guarantee that when he and I finish it. It's going to be a challenging, yet very satisfying ( if not just a little terrifying ) experience..Perhaps even the best he and I have ever done ( and we've done some very good ones )..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    I think you will find that Vulcan B2's were fitted with Olympus - the prototype B1 had Avons.
    The noisiest aircraft I can recall was the AW52 - it had a very high pitched scream as well as the exhaust roar.

ACH!!! Your right..Mia Culpa.. I apologize.. I must have been having a senior moment when i stated that.. Thanks for the correction ..

Pam

SOH-CM-2023
    No problem Pam, I have plenty of those senior moments...... but with regard to Avon noise, maybe you are thinking of the Hawker Hunter 'blue note'?
    Keith

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    No problem Pam, I have plenty of those senior moments...... but with regard to Avon noise, maybe you are thinking of the Hawker Hunter 'blue note'?
    Keith
    I wish.. Now there was a legendary aircraft ..But no.. I just got confused. I've had so many airp[lanes and so many engines go past my eyueballs these last 11 years that i sometimes just cant keep em all straight..

Wow. Three months and no update. Time to BUMP this one.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Blog Entries
    Partly my fault WarHorse.. I had to padsss it off to Paul ( my partner ) and I did so just at the time Just Flight needed him to dig in and get some things done on some of their work.. I'll try and contact him and seee how its going..

The delay is mostly my fault as I have taken a long break from project work due to some RW issues.

Not entirely resolved but am trying to get the package out for a "first beta exposure".

There are a few minor unresolved gauge/PTT warning light issues but no major functional issues in our testing.
    I also have not mapped/textured the seat, and there is a minor flight model change pending.
    IMO, no show stoppers.

I will get a package out and hopefully we can get some feedback to help get any other issues resolved.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No rush, Milton. Life comes first
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Douglas X-3 Stiletto Beta Release

Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Me too! Putting on my bubblewrap flight suit Better use a VERY long runway and don't do nuttin' stupid once it's up. You will lose all flight capabilities and plunge to your ultimate destruction! This is gonna take some practice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	64327

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	64328
    Last edited by MrZippy; October 23rd, 2018 at 07:19.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Members who have read this thread: 2