RAF Detling

Thread: RAF Detling

RAF Detling

RAF Detling for FSX acc-sp1 12/04/18

Detling airfield occupies high ground on the North Downs in Kent with Maidstone to the south and the Thames to the north, although mainly a base for coastal command Anson and Swordfish sqds during the early years of the war, Detling was oftern mistaken as a fighter airfield by the Luftwaffa due to its closeness to Biggen Hill and West Malling, and as such sufferd major bomb damage during the Battle of Britain, Later in the war, Detling was the home for Army co- operation Auster's and as a base for the 2nd TAF (tactical airforce) for support off operations during and after overlord

I only have a stock install im afraid so i dont know how this works with any third party mesh or terrain, same go's for PSD3, i dont have it so i dont know
    if it works.

for object librarys you need to visit IanP's site and grab yourself his librarys---

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/ye-...nloade-filess/

There's no traffic for this scenery but parking in the blister hangers around the perimiter
    and a few in front of the watch office

cheers ian

Thanks Ian! Have you or do you know anyone who has done Biggen Hill?

Thanks Eddie, no Biggin as far as i know, im reluctant to tackle it myself. For the RAF's most famous airfield, its rather difficult trying to work out how it look'd at any given time, only a decent official site plan would do it justice i feel.

I'm glad to report that it also works in P3dV4 with Orbx scenery
    Nice one
    Mike

Very nice Ian!

As usual, and thanks very much....

Cheers

Shessi

Didn't quite escape.
    Thanks Ian...

I'm just about to release one myself, in theory. I don't think there are any additions to the scenery libraries with this one though, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The big problem with Biggin Hill is that it was an active airfield before the war, so has a considerable number of "Hangar Civil" entries on the buildings list - of which there are, of course, no records. They have all been pulled down and replaced by now, as well, so doing Biggin proper justice in period is a major undertaking.

I don't suppose you're planning on taking on Eastchurch next, are you, if you're going to do airfields that the Luftwaffe kept bombing instead of the ones they really needed to be?

Cheers,

Ian P.

Maybe some day Ian, we'll see Biggin, hopefully.

Thanks everybody,

Eastchurch, to many custom buildings, dont want to work that hard at the moment . going back over all my half started airfields, trying to sort whats worth finishing.
    Ive got to stop this habit of getting something 75% completed, losing interest and moving on to something else, its driving me nuts

I don't know how you guys get anything finished. I am continually tweaking my airfields (most of which started life as Ian P's wonderful creations). Trouble is, I get halfway down the list and think of or discover another feature I want to add and have to go back to the beginning !

Didn't quite escape.
    There's a reason most of mine don't have pages on the rebuilt website yet... It's because I keep faffing with them!

I had to make a conscious decision to stick to aerodrome sites and not go too overboard with trying to get exactly the right building in exactly the right place. Yes, this means that mine will never be entirely historically accurate, but it does mean you get to see them (well... When I force myself to stop faffing...)

Ian P.

Opinions will differ, but I've come to the conclusion that with period airfields, provided you get the general layout (runways, peri track, dispersals, roads/streets) and key buildings (hangars, control tower etc) right, and the other buildings are the right period and logically positioned, the airfield will have the right look and feel, which is more important (IMO) than strict accuracy. In fact, more than once I've laid out part of an airfield exactly according to the original plan, and it still doesn't look 'right' when I drive round it. Very odd.

Clutter is very important too. It can be a pain to do (sometimes I find it quite therapeutic !), but it's amazing how it can transform an airfield from a model to a believable working environment.

Members who have read this thread: 0