Naval Air Station sceneries with FCLP and arresting cables?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naval Air Station sceneries with FCLP and arresting cables?

Naval Air Station sceneries with FCLP and arresting cables?

Ok, here goes.

I have the most recent version of VLSO (MOST awesome software! Thank you Paddles!) http://vlso.blogspot.com/

Now then. In P3D V4, I select KNRA (NOLF Coupeville). At first, I could see the FLOLS trailer, with two people and a truck. I have the RFN gauge added to Dino's S-3. Doing some Google searching, I found out that the Tacan channel for KNRA is 122X, and the NAV1 freq is 117.50. VLSO immediately recognized the info, and boom! RFN gauge showed green lights for FCLP and LSO being logged on. Cool, right? Problem was the arresting gear did not appear.

I tried deselecting a Orbx file in the Scenery Library, as I suspected it was preventing the cables from appearing. Had to turn off PNW06_cvx. I have no idea what that file is supposed to do. All I know is that when I deselected that file, the arresting cables appeared and worked perfectly!

But can anyone please tell me what other NAS bases have working arresting cables for FCLP? And is it possible to add them, if not? Thanks. NC

Additionally, it would be so, so cool, if anyone could please share the Tacan channel information and NAV1 freq information for any other FCLP locations? Thanks.

Prior to removal of Orbx PNW06_CVX

After removal of that file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No Wires with all Orbx installed.jpg   Cables appear.jpg  

In theory, at least, the arresting cables at FCLP bases are eye candy only. Not intended for use. FCLP landings at such bases, like Coupeville, are T&G only. Even the info included with the Coupeville FCLP scenery specifies that full stop landings are permissable in emergencies only.
    Bases like Miramar, El Centro, and Lemoore have the FCLP "carrier deck" painted, in add-on scenery I've seen and/or use, and at some vLSO works. But not the cables. Even at bases that have fully functional arresting gear at both ends of the runway in that Real Life place, wherever that may be. They don't in the sim.
    I don't know if a set of arresting cables can be added to a land based runway, or not. That's for those with more experience with scenery design than I.

Sorry, Chief, best answer I've got.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    In theory, at least, the arresting cables at FCLP bases are eye candy only. Not intended for use. FCLP landings at such bases, like Coupeville, are T&G only. Even the info included with the Coupeville FCLP scenery specifies that full stop landings are permissable in emergencies only.
    Bases like Miramar, El Centro, and Lemoore have the FCLP "carrier deck" painted, in add-on scenery I've seen and/or use, and at some vLSO works. But not the cables. Even at bases that have fully functional arresting gear at both ends of the runway in that Real Life place, wherever that may be. They don't in the sim.
    I don't know if a set of arresting cables can be added to a land based runway, or not. That's for those with more experience with scenery design than I.

Sorry, Chief, best answer I've got.
    Pat☺

Thanks. It is interesting then, because the cables at KNRA Coupeville DO work just fine! NC

Cables across a runway are from side to side with the catch point in the center of the runway.
    Painted on landing zones tend to be against the left side of the runway. Would make for a slightly skewed to the left hookup.

They definitely use FCLP at NAS Patuxent River.
    I spent about an hour last year sitting by the end of runway 32, watching an F-35C do about 5 or 6 traps about 500 yards away.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

I think Pax River is the exception because it is the Navy test pilot school / flight test center. Most (if not all) FCLP runways have a Fresnel lens but no arresting cables. There are runways with arresting cables, but they are used mostly for emergency arrested landings.

If you want to arrest...go hit the carriers!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Or the local Police Department. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to arrest you for something

I called up the official FAA approach plates for NOLF Coupeville. I specifies that "Full stop landings are not authorized except for emergencies".
    I also noticed there were no arresting gear available, so what you've got Chief is a fictional scenery. And yes, I have it too, I just never tried with the hook down. I am going to give that a try tomorrow.
    Like I say, there's gear at a lot, if not most, Naval airfields, but it's for emergencies, generally. Some are more sophisticated than others, though.
    I know that NAS Millington had the cross-deck pendants connected to a (big) length of carrier anchor chain as emergency arresting gear. I was riding past the end of the runway one day with my girlfriends, and a lightning storm blew in. Lightning striking the anchor chain. HECK of a light show!! A bit loud, but I thought it was awesome. Right up until I realized the mellow horsies we had rented suddenly had become the star attractions for a rodeo's bucking bronc show. They did NOT appreciate the lightning show, sadly. We ended up back at the stables in record time

Anywho, FCLPs are T&G's, not full stop landings. No traps until you fly aboard the boat, unless it's an emergency. No cat launches, either. You get training in everything except that, until your first fly-on in a T-45. Like Dino's, just for a wild example. Nowdays, however, they do get more, and more realistic, training in the simulator. Hard to really realistically simulate a cat launch, or trap, but heck, better than nothing.
    I can look up the spec's for FCLP training in the NATOPS if you want. I've got the one that covers all this stuff someplace. And bear in mind that it takes a LOT of bounces before you get qualified by the (v)LSO to head out to the boat for your final training hops, so they can pin The Wings of Gold onto you.

Have fun, and I wish you great good fortune on this fun stuff.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    I think Pax River is the exception because it is the Navy test pilot school / flight test center. Most (if not all) FCLP runways have a Fresnel lens but no arresting cables. There are runways with arresting cables, but they are used mostly for emergency arrested landings.

I was at Pax, and do remember that site. But I think it would be nice to have the option in simulation, for practice. I have no problem trapping on carriers in V4. I don't always catch #3, but I almost always manage to catch one. NC

I missed out on watching them use the catapult the day I was there. The spot I was parked in was only about 250 yards away, so it would have been pretty cool to see it.

I think it would be neat to have Pax River scenery with working FCLP, cables and catapult....but that would probably be pretty difficult to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I was at Pax, and do remember that site. But I think it would be nice to have the option in simulation, for practice. I have no problem trapping on carriers in V4. I don't always catch #3, but I almost always manage to catch one. NC
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    I missed out on watching them use the catapult the day I was there. The spot I was parked in was only about 250 yards away, so it would have been pretty cool to see it.

I think it would be neat to have Pax River scenery with working FCLP, cables and catapult....but that would probably be pretty difficult to implement.

I swear there USED to be a Pax River scenery with working FCLP and cables. Needs to be one! NC

I like the feature and also use it at times, but RW fleet guys hate doing FCLP as it doesn't really prep them for the boat outside of radio calls and traffic flow. The Oceana guys have to fly a higher pattern at Fentress, numbers that are not the standard 600' AGL around the boat. FCLP does help your scan and the muscle memory after the mains touchdown of going to full power.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    FCLP does help your scan and the muscle memory after the mains touchdown of going to full power.
    Yep. And as for RW, I get that, most definitely. But in simulation, I just want to have fun with it! NC

But in simulation, I just want to have fun with it! NC
    And isn't that the whole point?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Your P3D license from LM specifically states that P3D is NOT for entertainment. Even suggesting you are having FUN could result in revocation of your license. Just to be clear I DO NOT find any of this to be entertaining!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Your P3D license from LM specifically states that P3D is NOT for entertainment. Even suggesting you are having FUN could result in revocation of your license. Just to be clear I DO NOT find any of this to be entertaining!

So education is never fun or entertaining? NC

Hi all
    If you use the RFN scenery, you will have meatball and active wires on all US FCLP.
    vLSO works fine with the RFN gauge and with the RFN scenery.
    RFN scenery must be in first priority.
    http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....ations.htm#Sce
    Michel
    Last edited by mpni; April 18th, 2018 at 02:37. Reason: change order

Blog Entries
    A bit OT, but sort of germane:

Other than the RFN sceneries, any USN or USMC NAS that work reasonably well in P3DV4? I tested out the MAIW NAS Kingsville. It looked ok back in FSX, where I converted the FS9 traffic to FSX format, and was thereafter nicely populated with T-45s. Incidentally, NC, this one has FCLP cables visible next to the IFOLS van. Maybe the one you were thinking about?

In P3DV4, I have all the AI I converted showing up and working fine, but most of the buildings are gone. Anyone got any USN training bases sorted, or is it straight forward to convert these (what are in essence FS9) sceneries into P3D?

I assume the FSX Lemoore works - again, ran out of time to try.

I can't be the only one doing FCLP work in P3DV4 ....

cheers,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    A bit OT, but sort of germane:

Other than the RFN sceneries, any USN or USMC NAS that work reasonably well in P3DV4? I tested out the MAIW NAS Kingsville. It looked ok back in FSX, where I converted the FS9 traffic to FSX format, and was thereafter nicely populated with T-45s. Incidentally, NC, this one has FCLP cables visible next to the IFOLS van. Maybe the one you were thinking about?

In P3DV4, I have all the AI I converted showing up and working fine, but most of the buildings are gone. Anyone got any USN training bases sorted, or is it straight forward to convert these (what are in essence FS9) sceneries into P3D?

I assume the FSX Lemoore works - again, ran out of time to try.

I can't be the only one doing FCLP work in P3DV4 ....

cheers,

dl
    I am going to try to make a flight plan that includes all of the following bases. Would like to do FLOLS approaches, trap, hot refuel, etc.... Definitely a learning experience, but I think it would be fun! NC

Question is, which flight planner to use? Suggestions?

NAS Fallon
    NAS Key West
    NAS Kingsville
    NAS Lemoore
    NAS Meridian
    NAS Norfolk
    NAS Oceana
    NAS Patuxent River
    NAS Pensacola
    NAS Point Mugu
    NAS Whidbey Island
    NAWS China Lake
    NALF Fentress
    NALF San Clemente Island
    NAF El Centro
    MCAS Miramar
    NAS JRB New Orleans
    NAS Cecil Field

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Question is, which flight planner to use? Suggestions?
    I have used AIFP for recompiling FS9 traffic to FSX format. I haven't used it recently to see if it will recompile from FS9 to P3D, which I think would be more ideal, but even so, as mentioned above, the FSX traffic file I did for NAS Kingsville shows the AI T-45s at the base perfectly in P3DV4.5. The traffic file is "quiet" - not a lot of movement, maybe just the time of day I fly, so I can't comment if there are AI movement issues, but at least they're showing up in their respective parking spots as they should, so I'm happy for now.

Indeed, this little tutorial may became my new best friend, as I see a total dearth of P3D USN Naval Air Stations. So rather than hope/wait that one will get converted, I think I'm gonna just do it myself. Which will be handy, because it tears me up that my CalClassics sceneries are likely now longer useable. So perhaps knowing this process will enable me to convert a few of my personal favourites. Time will tell.

Here's link to the MAIW FS9->FSX/P3D conversion.

https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing...ges-to-fsx-p3d

I hope there's some uptake on this, and I certainly will look to share what I come up with, in line with what MAIW allows. In fainess, there's a few odd P3D bases available, but not much, so perhaps if a bunch of us contribute a bit, an airfield here, another there, we can slowly populate the P3D ecosystem with something other than current era civilian airports.

The wealth of phenomenal FS9 jewels done in Calclassics and MAIW alone warrant them being updated for the new generation of sim and pilots.

Anyway, I'll plug away with NAS Kingsville and see what my muddling will result in, and post back here.

dl

Blog Entries
    Waaaaait a minute ....

MAIW has a new tool called "Matrix" - specifically and exclusively for P3DV4. If I read and understand correctly, it offers updated scenery. I'm at work and can't check, but I'm curious if this means they've converted all their main packages and this tool delivers those updates? Maybe someone who's used it can comment.

https://militaryaiworks.com/download...ial-maiw-tools

I'll start with this when I get home and go from there. Maybe we're closer than we think.

dl

Yeah, MAIW's MATRIX is awesome. Installs P3D-converted military traffic all around the world, and a smattering of airbases as well. It's a must for military aircraft fans flying P3D.

https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing...matrix-release

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Yeah, MAIW's MATRIX is awesome. Installs P3D-converted military traffic all around the world, and a smattering of airbases as well. It's a must for military aircraft fans flying P3D.

https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing...matrix-release

Thanks.

So if there’s an old FS9 airbase that’s not yet been converted to P3DV4, this tool will convert it? I understand that it does that for the traffic bgls.

I though insofar as scenery goes, that it would simply provision it once ready. In other words, the number of available MAIW air bases it would provide in P3D globally was equal to the number of bases converted individually, thus far.

Is that correct?

I have Matrix, but it really causes problems for me, when it comes to FPS, stutters, etc.... I am running P3DV4.5 on a 8700K CPU and a 1080ti. Maybe just a setting problem, but for now, I don't have Matrix packages installed. NC

NC, if you're going to include MCAS Miramar, you really should include MCAS Yuma. Big base, LONG runways, 360 flying days per year, on average, and home of WTI. Large number of bombing and missile training ranges, including a nuclear bomb range, not to mention close access to the Chocolate Mountain A-A ranges, and so on.

Former home of VMFAT-101, F-4 Phantom II's, and VMFAT-102, TA-4J's. We called those the Thunder Chickens
    Notice that Miramar became the home of '101 when they transitioned to F/A-18's. Didn't need cables, though. The runways are so long, and have soft sand at the ends. No problem, even with brake failures, etc.

Not that I was ever stationed there, or anything
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    NC, if you're going to include MCAS Miramar, you really should include MCAS Yuma. Big base, LONG runways, 360 flying days per year, on average, and home of WTI. Large number of bombing and missile training ranges, including a nuclear bomb range, not to mention close access to the Chocolate Mountain A-A ranges, and so on.

Former home of VMFAT-101, F-4 Phantom II's, and VMFAT-102, TA-4J's. We called those the Thunder Chickens
    Notice that Miramar became the home of '101 when they transitioned to F/A-18's. Didn't need cables, though. The runways are so long, and have soft sand at the ends. No problem, even with brake failures, etc.

Not that I was ever stationed there, or anything
    Pat☺
    Although two of Yuma's runways (3L/21R) are definitely long at 13300ft, NAS Cecil Field has two runways (18L/36R) that are quite long too; 12503ft NC

Members who have read this thread: 4