FSX/P3D - F4D Phantom.zip - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FSX/P3D - F4D Phantom.zip

Pat, in regards to putting power to a brick, the new project Milton and company are working on (X-3) I think aptly defines that scenario.
    That's a quantum leap even from the F-104. You mentioned the chute being stuffed on the Phantom, they only washed it every month or so. Nasty. I remember the "Howl" of that J-79. Almost sounded alive. Loved to hear it exercised on the test cell.

I remember the "Howl" of that J-79. Almost sounded alive. Loved to hear it exercised on the test cell.
    In Yuma, that HOWL! was a day-n-night event.
    Of course, being a training base, the flight schedule usually forbad many visits to the wash rack, so the planes were ALL filthy. But we kept them aloft!

Have you ever gone down to High-Power for a run-up? Standing near the tailpipe, when that thing lights the blower is simply incredible! It's a sub-sonic rumble that shakes your guts. You feel like they're turning to water on ya. Most amazing feeling I've ever encountered.
    If the run was at night, when there were no "heavies" around, people standing around watching would be dared by the mechs to stick their fingers into the tailpipe when it was in AB. It can be done, if you curl your fingers around from the front, so you keep then down flat against the metal of the tailpipe. Laminar air-flow works! Scary as heck, but what a feeling when your do it!

Ask me about the trick they'd pull on newbies sitting in the cockpit for the run-up. Hilarious, if it wasn't YOU the trick was on

Still in love with Phantoms...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Pat, don't know how you put your hand in the tailpipe. I saw engine techs crawl all over it while running, but I never got closer than just standing aft of the wing and when the burner kicked in, you thought someone smacked you in your chest. My gonads were never that large to get closer. Couldn't get as close as you suggest. That "howl" I refer to was during transition in from the 75 to the 45 percent range. Sounded like a big cat (leopard, panther) at night. It was the most awesome sound, until we transitioned to the F-15.. That F-100 engine is a mean beast... just not quite as gnarly. (or snarly).

The J-79 has what's called "laminar airflow" built in. It maintains a layer of outside air, or "cold air", off the 5th stage of the compressor, I think, don't quote me on that. Anyway, this layer of air is blown down through the engine to keep the hot air, from the burner can section back, from touching the metal of the engine. Essentially, you have the "tube" of hot air from the burner cans, travelling through the engine from front to back, through the turbine section, and on out through the AB section, and out the tailpipe. Then, there is a "hollow tube" of relatively cold air surrounding the hot air "tube", keeping the metal of the engine cool. It's just thicker than a human's fingers. You can curl your fingers around the end of the tailpipe, keeping them flat on the metal of the turkey feathers, in the "cold air" layer, while the engine's exhaust, even in AB, blasts over past them.
    Scary feeling, but a real thrill. When you're a young Marine. I would have trouble doing it now.
    I have heard of ONE guy lost a finger, didn't keep it flat down on the way out, apparently. No blood, at least...
    It's just a neato trick, is all. Fun as heck.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    The J-79 has what's called "laminar airflow" built in. It maintains a layer of outside air, or "cold air", off the 5th stage of the compressor, I think, don't quote me on that. Anyway, this layer of air is blown down through the engine to keep the hot air, from the burner can section back, from touching the metal of the engine. Essentially, you have the "tube" of hot air from the burner cans, travelling through the engine from front to back, through the turbine section, and on out through the AB section, and out the tailpipe. Then, there is a "hollow tube" of relatively cold air surrounding the hot air "tube", keeping the metal of the engine cool. It's just thicker than a human's fingers. You can curl your fingers around the end of the tailpipe, keeping them flat on the metal of the turkey feathers, in the "cold air" layer, while the engine's exhaust, even in AB, blasts over past them.
    Scary feeling, but a real thrill. When you're a young Marine. I would have trouble doing it now.
    I have heard of ONE guy lost a finger, didn't keep it flat down on the way out, apparently. No blood, at least...
    It's just a neato trick, is all. Fun as heck.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Neat trick. Pat! Never tried it on the EKA-3b's J57-P10 no AB engine.
    Charlie the "Balldude" Running FSX With SP1 and SP2 2GHZ processor with 2Gbits Memory Computer running Windows EXPEE (This is not a bladder condition)

Read up on the engine, and make sure it has the laminar airflow system, before you try it!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 53