FSX/P3D - F4D Phantom.zip - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FSX/P3D - F4D Phantom.zip

Pat, in regards to putting power to a brick, the new project Milton and company are working on (X-3) I think aptly defines that scenario.
    That's a quantum leap even from the F-104. You mentioned the chute being stuffed on the Phantom, they only washed it every month or so. Nasty. I remember the "Howl" of that J-79. Almost sounded alive. Loved to hear it exercised on the test cell.

I remember the "Howl" of that J-79. Almost sounded alive. Loved to hear it exercised on the test cell.
    In Yuma, that HOWL! was a day-n-night event.
    Of course, being a training base, the flight schedule usually forbad many visits to the wash rack, so the planes were ALL filthy. But we kept them aloft!

Have you ever gone down to High-Power for a run-up? Standing near the tailpipe, when that thing lights the blower is simply incredible! It's a sub-sonic rumble that shakes your guts. You feel like they're turning to water on ya. Most amazing feeling I've ever encountered.
    If the run was at night, when there were no "heavies" around, people standing around watching would be dared by the mechs to stick their fingers into the tailpipe when it was in AB. It can be done, if you curl your fingers around from the front, so you keep then down flat against the metal of the tailpipe. Laminar air-flow works! Scary as heck, but what a feeling when your do it!

Ask me about the trick they'd pull on newbies sitting in the cockpit for the run-up. Hilarious, if it wasn't YOU the trick was on

Still in love with Phantoms...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Pat, don't know how you put your hand in the tailpipe. I saw engine techs crawl all over it while running, but I never got closer than just standing aft of the wing and when the burner kicked in, you thought someone smacked you in your chest. My gonads were never that large to get closer. Couldn't get as close as you suggest. That "howl" I refer to was during transition in from the 75 to the 45 percent range. Sounded like a big cat (leopard, panther) at night. It was the most awesome sound, until we transitioned to the F-15.. That F-100 engine is a mean beast... just not quite as gnarly. (or snarly).

The J-79 has what's called "laminar airflow" built in. It maintains a layer of outside air, or "cold air", off the 5th stage of the compressor, I think, don't quote me on that. Anyway, this layer of air is blown down through the engine to keep the hot air, from the burner can section back, from touching the metal of the engine. Essentially, you have the "tube" of hot air from the burner cans, travelling through the engine from front to back, through the turbine section, and on out through the AB section, and out the tailpipe. Then, there is a "hollow tube" of relatively cold air surrounding the hot air "tube", keeping the metal of the engine cool. It's just thicker than a human's fingers. You can curl your fingers around the end of the tailpipe, keeping them flat on the metal of the turkey feathers, in the "cold air" layer, while the engine's exhaust, even in AB, blasts over past them.
    Scary feeling, but a real thrill. When you're a young Marine. I would have trouble doing it now.
    I have heard of ONE guy lost a finger, didn't keep it flat down on the way out, apparently. No blood, at least...
    It's just a neato trick, is all. Fun as heck.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    The J-79 has what's called "laminar airflow" built in. It maintains a layer of outside air, or "cold air", off the 5th stage of the compressor, I think, don't quote me on that. Anyway, this layer of air is blown down through the engine to keep the hot air, from the burner can section back, from touching the metal of the engine. Essentially, you have the "tube" of hot air from the burner cans, travelling through the engine from front to back, through the turbine section, and on out through the AB section, and out the tailpipe. Then, there is a "hollow tube" of relatively cold air surrounding the hot air "tube", keeping the metal of the engine cool. It's just thicker than a human's fingers. You can curl your fingers around the end of the tailpipe, keeping them flat on the metal of the turkey feathers, in the "cold air" layer, while the engine's exhaust, even in AB, blasts over past them.
    Scary feeling, but a real thrill. When you're a young Marine. I would have trouble doing it now.
    I have heard of ONE guy lost a finger, didn't keep it flat down on the way out, apparently. No blood, at least...
    It's just a neato trick, is all. Fun as heck.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Neat trick. Pat! Never tried it on the EKA-3b's J57-P10 no AB engine.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Read up on the engine, and make sure it has the laminar airflow system, before you try it!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

I am an FSX SP2 user (no acceleration).
    I only wish to use autopilot and default FSX Garmin for navigation, and have engine startup smoke/afterburner effects, along with cockpit and external sounds present and working.

I see this download file has very, very many effects, gauges, textures etc. to copy & paste (some don't seem to be even related to this particular aircraft - eg. water wakes, helicopter dust effects etc.) - so does anyone know which files/folders are needed for my purpose ? I wish to fly it as if it were and 'airshow' aircraft, not a 'military, attack capable' aircraft, in other words. (I have the freeware 'Alphajet' and it works very well for this purpose in my sim.)

Thank-you, in advance for any feedback and input.
    MZ.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

some don't seem to be even related to this particular aircraft - eg. water wakes,
    Have you ever seen a Phantom take a "soft-stroke", or "weak catapult shot" off the deck of a carrier?

I have, and trust me, a water wake effect IS applicable. The one I saw was the first launch of the cruise. CAG took his bird out for it, to motivate us troopies. The plane didn't get but about 60-70 knots airspeed off the end of the deck, rather than the usual airspeed a Phantom needs for take off. No, I don't remember the correct endspeed, but this time, he didn't have it. All we could see was the plane settle off the front of the boat. We all ran forward, although I have no idea what we could have done about anything.
    We saw the CAG's plane, full afterburners blasting the water into steam behind him. He wasn't 10' off the water. And yes, he was leaving a wake, just like a boat would. The water had a depression under the plane, like it was sitting ON the water, but it was just off the surface. He had gotten into the ground effect of the water, and that's what saved him.
    He finally managed to get enough airspeed to climb up to the pattern altitude. He dumped fuel, came around, and trapped aboard. Once he got shut down, he didn't say a word, just climbed out, with his RIO, and, from what we heard later, went to his cabin and drank most of a bottle of scotch. RIO with him, naturally. I can't say I blame him. The Captain did have a few words with the catapult Officer, though, and they weren't nice words, if his expression when he came back was any indication.

So, point is, don't count any of the effect they included out. They may be using them for something other than their name implies. By the same token...
    But I'll look and see what effects don't seem very applicable to a Shore-Based Airshow plane. I'll get back asap...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Have you ever seen a Phantom take a "soft-stroke", or "weak catapult shot" off the deck of a carrier?

I have, and trust me, a water wake effect IS applicable. The one I saw was the first launch of the cruise. CAG took his bird out for it, to motivate us troopies. The plane didn't get but about 60-70 knots airspeed off the end of the deck, rather than the usual airspeed a Phantom needs for take off. No, I don't remember the correct endspeed, but this time, he didn't have it. All we could see was the plane settle off the front of the boat. We all ran forward, although I have no idea what we could have done about anything.
    We saw the CAG's plane, full afterburners blasting the water into steam behind him. He wasn't 10' off the water. And yes, he was leaving a wake, just like a boat would. The water had a depression under the plane, like it was sitting ON the water, but it was just off the surface. He had gotten into the ground effect of the water, and that's what saved him.
    He finally managed to get enough airspeed to climb up to the pattern altitude. He dumped fuel, came around, and trapped aboard. Once he got shut down, he didn't say a word, just climbed out, with his RIO, and, from what we heard later, went to his cabin and drank most of a bottle of scotch. RIO with him, naturally. I can't say I blame him. The Captain did have a few words with the catapult Officer, though, and they weren't nice words, if his expression when he came back was any indication.

So, point is, don't count any of the effect they included out. They may be using them for something other than their name implies. By the same token...
    But I'll look and see what effects don't seem very applicable to a Shore-Based Airshow plane. I'll get back asap...
    Pat☺
    Thanks, Pat, for your input.

It was also pointed out to me in another post, that the tail rudder animation in this model is inaccurate (rudder moves in opposite direction to what it should when airplane is turning). Not sure if this is correctable somehow.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Members who have read this thread: 6