Thinking of an F-4 Phantom, MilViz or SWS

Thread: Thinking of an F-4 Phantom, MilViz or SWS

Thinking of an F-4 Phantom, MilViz or SWS

I have been thinking of adding a F-4 Phantom to my collection and noticed the Sws model was on sale at pcaviator, but want to make sure I get the right one for me. I wanted to get some opinions on each model. I usually want to just get in and fly and not have to spend too much time learning the system. I have bothe the MilViz F-86 and F-100 in my collection and to be honest I don’t use the F-86 as I find it to complex for my more casual style.

Thanks in advance
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I don’t use the F-86 as I find it to complex for my more casual style
    While both feature a cold&dark and ready to fly" option, to get the most out of either model requires some manual reading and practice. A comparison thread on the P3D forums might help, but I have both and love them in different ways. I spend a lot time around the "boat" and find the SWS easier to get aboard. You do get 3 F4 models on the MV side, but know the J shares the E cockpit. If you do like going to sea, the SWS additional carriers are outstanding!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Purchased the Simworks F4 over the weekend ( Just Flight - on sale ) and I'm glad I did. Thought about the Milviz F4 but was a bit concerned about its complexity, like you I want jump in and go without a lot of fuss.

Highly recommended ...

Cheers

I have both, but i use the SWS model slightly more but im happy with both, you can fly both cold and dark fairly easy but you can also explore and use complex systems in your own time without taking away any fun or enjoyment, i'd say go for it if the price is right, both are top quality payware that you can jump in the cockpit and go flying

I also have both and they both have some endearing charm and fantastic authenticity that I could not choose one over the other. As stated above, both models do indeed require some reading of the manual to fully appreciate the attention to detail both teams built into their very lavish models. Milviz also offers an advanced version of the Phantom that I bought but have not even attempted to engage, as it's, well, more advanced than their base line bird.

My advice, purchase which ever is currently on sale. You will not be disappointed. Then pick up the other when it too goes on sale. They are both fantastic designs and you will indeed get your monies worth, as both team actively listen and support their customers.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

I agree with Stryker. I do however prefer the texturing of the Milviz Phantom VC as SWS's seems too clean. I have both just so I have an E, J or thin wing B (AND all the great schemes that were on the early Phantoms) depending on what I want to fly. Both of them are on par with the Milviz Hun as far as getting them fired up.

Blog Entries
    The SWS one comes with an aircraft carrier and a couple of tools relating to that.

Ian

Thanks for the advice, I picked up the SWS model on sale although it will probably be a few days before I can try it out. I will report back my impressions
    Joe Cusick

I usually want to just get in and fly and not have to spend too much time learning the system.
    Yep, me too. Had some initial config issues with the SWS but it was still beta-ish and now it is pretty reliable, nice and stable on short final and trapping. The Coral Sea that comes with it is great and the feature that allows you to have deck pack animations, e.g., the tug, etc.

A few nits include
    i) you can't add load outs to a saved, airborne flight (I start most CV flights from saved flights flying over the sea or on the deck (with slew, etc.), not on dry land)
    ii) I have got it to start cold and dark once or twice but often forget a step so use Ctrl + E more often than not and
    iii) I have never been able to get the rear cockpit radar to work. ii) and iii) are really my own fault.

It looks and sounds great. Ought to be more repaints for it though. Wish you great enjoyment and post here or SWS if any issues.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Picked up the SWS version (included carrier + sale price = win). Did a couple of quick flights in P3D v4.2 and it's really, really nicely done.

I know they actually used the J, but has anyone seen any Blue Angels repaints for this?

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Ought to be more repaints for it though.
    Did you pick up the huge repaint pack from the SWS site?
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Did you pick up the huge repaint pack from the SWS site?
    Oooh, cool, didn't know about that one! Thanks!

(Still need Blue Angels, though! ;-) )

while the MV F4 was a in house project the SWS was a dual MV and SWS project where majority of the package was done by SWS with the aid of MV testers and MV code and other bits

so there will some near identical features between the two,

same same but different

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    i) you can't add load outs to a saved, airborne flight (I start most CV flights from saved flights flying over the sea or on the deck (with slew, etc.), not on dry land)
    ii) I have got it to start cold and dark once or twice but often forget a step so use Ctrl + E more often than not and
    iii) I have never been able to get the rear cockpit radar to work. ii) and iii) are really my own fault.
    I) You can do this if you have/use TacPack.
    ii) You have to open each throttle to about 50% while the startup sequence is happening (make sure the parking brake is applied first). If you only have the one throttle, it's easier to use the mouse for this.

iii) The radar is simplicity, unlike that fitted to the MV F-4J/S. There is no separate power supply for the scope.
    In the above shot you'll see the radar controls to the left of the scope (F-4B in FSXA). The controls are all shown as 'off'.
    The shot below shows the radar in operation (F-4N in P3Dv3). The control positions can be clearly seen.

I hope this helps you.

Dave

Thanks Dave, will give your good suggestions a try.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

What? Radar work? I thought he just wanted to fly??? For the non-Tacpack users, I can only suggest a few things to try like a set air show routine or the early time to climb records the Phantom II claimed. Another reason to switch to P3D, I have to move around while playing RIO/RO/GIB/WSO/sandbag in back to work the radar in FSX.

As jeansy stated, for the F-4 Phans, another reason to have both as there was some developer cross-talk between models/systems. The MV beta team has RW Phlyers helping the normal and ADV flight dynamics.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I have taken the SWS F-4 up a few times now and I do like it. It took a number of attempts to land successfully, it does not maneuver well at speeds below 200kn but you need to be just under that speed on approach and lined up well in advance.

I have not tried the radar yet and will be interesting to see how it works.
    Joe Cusick

I picked up all 3(2) MV Phantoms as soon as they were released. Don't really need the Adv Module, it's a handful already. I really like what they have. I also did 3 or 4 repaints that are on their site.

Just picked up the SW F-4 with the Midway package. Still downloading as I type. Will give these a quick run through tonight, and see about doing some repaints that would be more model correct.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/signaturepics/sigpic103580_3.gif[/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0