Thought about getting a VR headset, but.....
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought about getting a VR headset, but.....

Thought about getting a VR headset, but.....

I was at Best Buy yesterday to return a item, and while there, I decided to take another look at VR headsets. Now I am sure some folks here will either support or dispute what the guy there told me, but according to the information I was given, my system will not run a VR headset setup efficiently.

I am running the following:

Intel i7 X 980 3.33ghz

RAM 16gb

AMD RX480

Everything is running just nice and smooth in P3DV4. My system was built in 2010, but most recently (in the past couple months) I replaced the SSDs. My motherboard, a Rampager III, cannot take a newer processor, or so I am told.

I am NOT hell bent on buying a VR headset, and (from what I hear about prices of graphics cards right now), I am sure as heck not in any hurry to do so, either!

But when the time comes, I hope I can afford another system that WILL handle a VR. Just won't be now!

NC

Actually, the RX480 is fine for mid-range VR. You'd just have to drop the detail a bit to get a smooth frame rate. A Best Buy tech will tell you the CPU's not enough, but that's hooey. Based on the manufacturer recommendations, they just go off CPU age. But that processor is fast enough for VR. I'm running a Core i7-3960X, which is older than recommended, but it's fast enough that it's fine.

Amazon has the base Oculus Rift for $249 right now without the controllers (you don't need those for flight sims). That's a killer bargain.

You could always pick one up and return it to Amazon if you can't tweak the performance/visuals to your liking.

Should be fine for a rift but be careful with a mixed reality headset, your cpu needs the AVX instruction set. In other words it has to be a newer cpu. One of the reasons I decided to upgrade. I have a Samsung Odysee waiting for my new build to show up.

LouP

I don't know a thing about VR headsets. You need TWO eyes for VR, and, well, that leaves me out. Only one left after the horse/motorcycle episode...

Sorry, I can't be more help...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

There's a tool on the Oculus website that will check your system for compatability, but judging by your specs, you would be able to use it but I think your system would struggle a bit and it wouldn't be satisfying experience.

I'm using an Oculus Rift on this PC hardware and it works perfectly in XP11, P3D v4, Aerofly FS2 and a variety of other VR 'experiences':

i7-6700K @ 4GHz
    8GB RAM
    Radeon RX 480
    SSD hard drive
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    There's a tool on the Oculus website that will check your system for compatability, but judging by your specs, you would be able to use it but I think your system would struggle a bit and it wouldn't be satisfying experience.
    That's pretty much what the guy at Best Buy said.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    I'm using an Oculus Rift on this PC hardware and it works perfectly in XP11, P3D v4, Aerofly FS2 and a variety of other VR 'experiences':

i7-6700K @ 4GHz
    8GB RAM
    Radeon RX 480
    SSD hard drive

My processor is older/slower at 3.3ghz. Probably makes a difference.

Blog Entries
    What is the current resolution on those things? I tried the Riff Development version a few years ago at a cockpit show in Texas. It was cook, however, I thought the resolution needed to be better. It was with the native Maule and although, I could read the gauges, they were not as sharp as I would have liked.

I am considering one but hesitant.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    VR unfortunately has not taken off as hoped probably due to high prices and low resolution. The big sellers in VR are for consoles. I will also wait for resolution to increase and prices to lower.

i have read somewhere that new devices are coming soon. I hope so as everything I have heard about VR says it’s tremendously immersive.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    I suppose it depends on the type of flying that you do whether the low resolution is really a problem. In airliners it is much more of a problem than with combat aircraft, and if you have a good programmable joystick and throttle switches that are a bit blurry don’t matter much, at least to me. Compared with the real flying I’ve done in a range of single-engined aircraft, feeling like you sit in the cockpit compensates for any optical limitation of the Rift, compared to looking at a monitor and seeing the cars in your street drive by when you forget to look strictly ahead.

I don't try and fly anything like the NGX or Dash 8 in VR. It's not just the low resolution, it's also operating all the switches, FMCs etc. It is doable but fiddly. Something like a Spitfire or a Sopwith Camel though is superb.

Hi Chief,

My PC specs didn't pass the Rift Compatibility requirements, but I bought one anyway. I actually paid $650 USD (and I'm NOT a rich man) because I pre ordered before they were first released, and it is honestly the best investment I have made for my flight simming, along with the HOTAS Warthog. I still use a 2D monitor too, probably more than 50% of the time but the VR experience is really cool. I can't believe they are now so cheap! As stated, you would not need the Touch controllers (although it is annoying that they are making so many games that only use the Touch controllers).

What I did was just compare my hardware to the minimum and recommended specs for the Rift, and I was satisfied that my performance would be OK. Research is the key, which is why you asked here I suppose .

I just had a look at my specs vs your specs on "CPU Benchmark" and "Video card Benchmark" and mine are a bit higher than yours.

I have an Intel i7-2700k O/C to 4.5GHz and an Asus Strix GTX980 which score 8732 (for the 3.5GHz) and 9586 respectively.

In comparison your scores for CPU and Video card are 8721 (for the Intel Core i7-980) and 8113.

IMHO I think you would run Aerofly FS2 and DCS World comfortably, and also P3D V4 with lower to mid settings and in the right situation. My performance is great in DCS World and Aerofly FS2, and many other Oculus games such as EVE Valkyrie and Project Cars 2. For P3D (V3 and V4) and FSX I need to adjust my settings and/or fly in isolated areas away from heavily populated scenery. Before I got the Rift I remember commenting that I didn't think I would be able to fly the PMDG 747 out of Sydney, but would be very happy to do touch and goes in a Cessna at a remote bush strip, and that is pretty much how I have used it for the most part. I have however flown the PMDG 747 in FSX from Luxembourg to Frankfurt (not a long trip ), both with addon airports and over full photoreal, and with the right settings that is a great flight.

I do however get much better performance, and I can pump my settings up, at places like Seychelles, the Carribean, American Samoa, Nantucket, Alaska etc....

Even just flying over photoreal states or countries I can get really high frames with many aircraft, so it's all just a matter of choosing the right aircraft, scenery and settings.

All just food for thought

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Apologize for hijacking this but I also have been considering getting VR. First, thanks for letting me know about Oculus Website to determine if my set-up can handle it...will look at that.

I did notice it said that I don't need the "controllers"...so I don't understand how I would control switches, power levers, flight controls, etc. since I can't see my current controls (if this question shows a lack of my research...your correct). Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks,

Thanks all for your input/replies.

I am tempted to get a VR headset, but may wait a little bit. Yes, the prices have come way down. For that matter, I would like to try one, just to see if I would even like it. NC

Quote Originally Posted by triflyman View Post
    Apologize for hijacking this but I also have been considering getting VR. First, thanks for letting me know about Oculus Website to determine if my set-up can handle it...will look at that.

I did notice it said that I don't need the "controllers"...so I don't understand how I would control switches, power levers, flight controls, etc. since I can't see my current controls (if this question shows a lack of my research...your correct). Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks,
    Hi,

The controllers Oculus refer to would be the Touch controllers. You don't need these for flight sim, although they can be used. Control in the sim (s) is with the same equipment as on a monitor. Joystick, throttle, rudder, keyboard and mouse.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

The controllers Oculus refer to would be the Touch controllers. You don't need these for flight sim, although they can be used. Control in the sim (s) is with the same equipment as on a monitor. Joystick, throttle, rudder, keyboard and mouse.[/QUOTE]

Great...thanks. But how do you see your controllers with the headset completely covering your eyes...is it a matter of having to remove the headset every time you want to hit a new switch? I use a CH Yoke and Throttle Quadrant with all the switches assigned to a function.

Thanks,

Just FTR, I was able to get a 'test run' with a couple of VR sets (including RIFT) at the last IT trade show with the use of VR in Race Sims in mind.
    Not for me.
    My PC will run one without breaking a sweat but I do not like the bulk of the head set at all, rather do without as I was unimpressed by the lack of 'immersion'.
    I'd go so far as to say that the target market is the console shooter kiddies.............
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Just FTR, I was able to get a 'test run' with a couple of VR sets )including RIFT) at the last IT trade show with the use of VR in Race Sims in mind.
    Not for me.
    My PC will run one without breaking a sweat but I do not like the bulk of the head set at all, rather do without as I was unimpressed by the lack of 'immersion'.
    I'd go so far as to say that the target market is the console shooter kiddies.............
    What games or Sims did you get to try VR with ?

For me at least the immersion is through the roof in VR, I find it hard to go back to flying or racing in a flat non VR world now.
    Although it definitely has its place in shooters, I'm currently having a lot of fun playing Fallout 4 VR. Race and Flight Sims is where it really shines.
    The sense of actually being in the cockpit is totally convincing. In fact I'v nearly fallen off my chair a few times now trying to lean on some bulkhead or whatever that wasn't really there while looking around in a new plane or car
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    What games or Sims did you get to try VR with ?

For me at least the immersion is through the roof in VR, I find it hard to go back to flying or racing in a flat non VR world now.
    Although it definitely has its place in shooters, I'm currently having a lot of fun playing Fallout 4 VR. Race and Flight Sims is where it really shines.
    The sense of actually being in the cockpit is totally convincing. In fact I'v nearly fallen off my chair a few times now trying to lean on some bulkhead or whatever that wasn't really there while looking around in a new plane or car
    I agree 100% with the above statement. While it's not for everyone for obvious reasons, I do not think the intended audience are the console gamers. They already have some nice VR assets. I think OR and Vive are truly trying to find that next level of immersion, as much as the multi-screen spanned monitors, 4K, Track IR and HOTAS have tried to bring simmers to the next level of realism. However, it's hard to feel immersed when you are flying, driving or fighting in a 2D world. Enter then 3D that reacts to your head movements and hand gestures. Just a whole other level of experience that is now hitting the entry level consumer price range based on supply and demand. It will only get better as time marches forward.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by triflyman View Post
    Great...thanks. But how do you see your controllers with the headset completely covering your eyes...is it a matter of having to remove the headset every time you want to hit a new switch? I use a CH Yoke and Throttle Quadrant with all the switches assigned to a function.

Thanks,
    Hi,

I'm not sure how, but it just works

I use a HOTAS setup with rudder pedals, and have some functions such as flaps, spoiler, mixture, and prop assigned to my throttle base. In FSX/P3D I don't find myself using that many more controls. Using Flyinside or P3D V4 VR you can use the mouse the same as you do on a monitor to click or turn any switches or knobs in your cockpit. Apart from that, you can still just peek down at your keyboard if it is right in front of you, as there is a slight gap at the bottom of the HMD which allows you to see down. I still use the G key for gear, Tilde key (~) for ATC and more, and it is very easy.

With sims such as DCS World I have many more functions assigned to my HOTAS controllers, and try as much as possible to replicate the real world HOTAS setup for each aircraft. I will still have to use the keyboard and mouse for a lot of functions, but it is very natural.

Cheers,

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Just FTR, I was able to get a 'test run' with a couple of VR sets (including RIFT) at the last IT trade show with the use of VR in Race Sims in mind.
    Not for me.
    I agree the headset is a bit bulky, but in real military planes you wear a helmet, sometimes a HMD, and an oxygen mask which, I think, are even more bulky. And I got used to the HMD quite quickly. It may be different when you prefer civilian planes. My motorcycle helmet is way more uncomfortable to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I was at Best Buy yesterday to return a item, and while there, I decided to take another look at VR headsets. Now I am sure some folks here will either support or dispute what the guy there told me, but according to the information I was given, my system will not run a VR headset setup efficiently.

I am running the following:

Intel i7 X 980 3.33ghz

RAM 16gb

AMD RX480

Everything is running just nice and smooth in P3DV4. My system was built in 2010, but most recently (in the past couple months) I replaced the SSDs. My motherboard, a Rampager III, cannot take a newer processor, or so I am told.

I am NOT hell bent on buying a VR headset, and (from what I hear about prices of graphics cards right now), I am sure as heck not in any hurry to do so, either!

But when the time comes, I hope I can afford another system that WILL handle a VR. Just won't be now!

NC
    Run the free Steam Vr performance test: http://store.steampowered.com/app/32...formance_Test/
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    My processor is older/slower at 3.3ghz. Probably makes a difference.
    It's not the speed of the CPU. I was running a i7 980x at 4.2 ghz that failed mixed reality. A Vive or Rift would work as I had a Vive up and running aok no problem. I wanted to upgrade to the Vive Pro but when I saw the pricing from HTC for the upgrade I couldn't and wouldn't support that product any more. I returned the Vive and went and bought the Samsung Odyssey that has similar specs as the Vive Pro. That's when I found out the CPU NEEDS to support the AVX instruction set for Mixed Reality to work. In other words, it has to be a newer CPU. I had a new PC built for this reason and just because it was time to and I am glad I did. I cannibalized what I could out of my old system which was basically the GTX 1080, the SSDs, and hard drives and am now running a i7 8700 with 64 gig RAM and everything works great.

The guy at Best Buy was probably lining himself up to sell you a Mixed Reality version of the headset when he said a 980x would not work.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by HyFlyer View Post
    Run the free Steam Vr performance test: http://store.steampowered.com/app/32...formance_Test/
    Yep, it confirmed what the guy at Best Buy said. Marginal performance at best. Oh well. Other things to spend my cash on for now. When my system crashes again, then I will consider building another, but graphics cards are just too costly right now. NC

Members who have read this thread: 0