Thought about getting a VR headset, but..... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought about getting a VR headset, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    So if I'm about to pull the trigger on a desktop gaming machine runnig a GTX 1070, do I really need to worry about any fancy curved screens or 4K monitors if I plan on using VR? This machine will be 99% sim usage (P3D,DCS) and some productivity, I use my PS4 console for "shooters".
    i have a 55" 4k with tir but ever since OR cv1, big one is not really a requirement. when flying tubeliners i'll take the rift off during cruise phase when it's boring and for programming the fmc, but otherwise rift is the main display flying low.

you ride a 1098? i love my red 848. it's a medieval torture rack in texas summers but it's an awesome machine.

Gesh kdfw, I think my regular living room LED TV is a 55"! I'll probably get a good, but not that large, screen for those days I decide to play "airliner". Still have my TIR, but takes getting used after laying dormant.

No issues on my 1098 in TX as long as I kept moving (running full Termi's), now I'll see how toasty it gets here in PHX. Probably ride early in the AM or just head to the hills!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Well, it's finally going to happen.

Just ordered a new pc AND a Samsung Odyssey VR headset with two controllers. I have a feeling my simulation experience will be a new adventure for me, about one week from today. NC

Excellent choice ! The Odyssey is clearly the best VR headset currently available.
    I had my first VR experience just monday night, with P3D v2.5, Flyinside, and a Lenovo headset. The resolution in that helmet is a little bit lower than the Odyssey, and screen is LCD instead of OLED.
    Nevertheless, the experience was simply mind-blowing.
    I got set up first for a flight out of Princess Juliana with Piglet's PC6, and just leaning on the left to look at the left wheel was something I cannot describe.
    Then I went for an helicopter flight around the Innsbruck photoreal scenery by OrbX, and flying low and slow along the valleys up to the nearby glacier was just incredible.
    It was with the H&S EC-135. The sensation I got on takeoff was already fantastic, but the strongest feeling was when I made the first turn with 30° bank... I thought I would fall off my chair

After that short sessions (2 hours....), I had to come back to my own computer, to fly P3Dv4 on a normal screen... and boy that was sad...
    Needless to say, I have ordered a new computer yesterday.
    Once it's there, I'll start looking for a VR headset.

The only thing I will need to get, from what I understand from reading about it, is a new pair of prescription glasses with wire frames that should fit with the headset on. I will try the headset with my current U.S. military issue black plastic framed glasses, but have a feeling they may not be too comfortable with the headset. Will see. NC

i use the rift
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    The only thing I will need to get, from what I understand from reading about it, is a new pair of prescription glasses with wire frames that should fit with the headset on. I will try the headset with my current U.S. military issue black plastic framed glasses, but have a feeling they may not be too comfortable with the headset. Will see. NC
    I'm not sure about that headset you are getting, but I know there are inserts you can get for the Rift and Vive. They should be available for the Odyssey as well.

Here is a youtube vid with some info. There are some links in the comments. For more info just google "lens inserts for samsung odyssey".

https://youtu.be/k_v8wP0716E

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    I'm not sure about that headset you are getting, but I know there are inserts you can get for the Rift and Vive. They should be available for the Odyssey as well.

Here is a youtube vid with some info. There are some links in the comments. For more info just google "lens inserts for samsung odyssey".

https://youtu.be/k_v8wP0716E

Cheers,
    I agree with scotth6 Chief, if you can find someone that does inserts for the Odyssey get them, I have VR Lens lab ones for my Rift and they where money well spent.
    I couldn't use the Rift for more than half an hour with my glasses on before they started cutting the blood flow to my nose off
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    I agree with scotth6 Chief, if you can find someone that does inserts for the Odyssey get them, I have VR Lens lab ones for my Rift and they where money well spent.
    I couldn't use the Rift for more than half an hour with my glasses on before they started cutting the blood flow to my nose off
    I haven't found any company yet, but am still researching this. Good news is I will have 30 days to decide if I like the Odyssey. If during that time, I don't, I can return them, no problem.

I did call Samsung. They won't offer any advice concerning wearing of prescription glasses with their headset. All the support guy would say was it was their only model, and no plans for anything else. That's all. NC

Hey chief, I wear wire frame glasses with my Odysee all the time. Just be careful the first time trying the glasses in there as the lens in all the hmds are pretty soft and easily marked up. My regular glasses are a tight fit. Try it without your specs first as some folks who wear glasses don't need them in the vr headsets. Also be patient and give yourself time to get everything set up right. Lastly, I strongly suggest you get Flyinside, the version for the rift works just fine with the Samsung.

LouP

I've had experiences with VR headsets before, which were stunning, to say the least, but it was with shooters and demos only, and mostly not for a PC. I wonder about the click functions in the cockpit the flight sim. How well does that work? Are there any limits as far as angle and distance from a click spot goes?

The Odyssey seems like a good catch, but I also reckon that I live in the wrong country as far as most of my interests are concerned. The Odyssey seems hard to get here, and the offers I saw were horribly expensive and any guarantee options are in question.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Same problem here Mark, as the Odyssey is not sold officially in Europe...
    That's why my brother went for a Lenovo instead...

Concerning the clicking, I would say it's pretty similar to what you would experience with a trackIR.
    When I had the headset on, I couldn't see my controls, but I knew the mouse was standing just next to the throttle. Then it was easy enough to find it with my hand. From there, the mouse cursor would appear in the cockpit just like on a regular screen, and would react to any clickable item, with tooltip etc...

Granted, it is a bit more difficult to aim properly, as the view moves with your head... you must ensure you keep your head stable for a second so that you can click what you want. Same with a TrackIR I suppose. In tiny cockpits this is quite easy honnestly. When flying the Mustang, everything was easy to spot, read and click/scroll. When using a bigger aircraft though, it was more difficult, because buttons and instruments were further away and smaller. I had to lean my head in their direction to get them more readable and more clickable, but that was the only constraint.

Sometimes I needed several tries to get into the correct position for clicking. But in the end, that was a similar experience as in a car in real life, where I would look for something in the car, but only for half a second before bringing my head/eyes back to the road before trying again. It was the same going back and forth in a cockpit with a VR headset. Not the best usability, but not bad enough to alter the general pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Hey chief, I wear wire frame glasses with my Odysee all the time. Just be careful the first time trying the glasses in there as the lens in all the hmds are pretty soft and easily marked up. My regular glasses are a tight fit. Try it without your specs first as some folks who wear glasses don't need them in the vr headsets. Also be patient and give yourself time to get everything set up right. Lastly, I strongly suggest you get Flyinside, the version for the rift works just fine with the Samsung.

LouP
    I ordered wire frame glasses from Zenni. They are not expensive, but I have another problem. I wear bi-focals. So should I have just ordered the bi-focal part of the prescription, for close-up reading, i.e. computer vision? I have glasses just for that, which I am currently wearing. I guess it will be a trial and error thing.

Also, I ordered KlearKare lens protector film. I read from other forums that the film is completely transparent, and will protect the Odyssey lenses from being scratched. One other item I am probably going to get is a foam cover from VRCover. That is supposed to help as well. NC

https://vrcover.com/product/samsung-...m-replacement/

No Chief you a want prescription for normal use not reading ,you've ordered the right thing.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    No Chief you a want prescription for normal use not reading ,you've ordered the right thing.
    This is correct. I read the focal point for your prescription with VR should be four feet. The glasses I use were made for use when using the PC monitors and I require bifocals in everyday life.

LouP

Well, a update of sorts.

I am going to see a optometrist next Monday morning to get a prescription for contact lenses, hopefully. If successful, that is the route I will go for using the VR Odyssey headset. Already ordered and received the velour replacement pad for it, along with the KleanKare lens protectors. All I need now are the contacts (hopefully my eyes will be a candidate for them).

I am keeping in mind what LouP mentioned about the "focal" point being 4 feet? I had messaged you, Lou, asking where you got that information? Anyway, wish me luck. I still have not received the new desktop system, and probably won't for at least another week. My current system, although not VR capable, is running strong. I have TrackIR, so it isn't like I am without enough "toys"!! NC

Just found some interesting calibration information for the Odyssey, which does NOT have a physical focal adjustment.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...-mixed-reality

I just tried using my neighbor's pc to try out the Samsung Odyssey VR. Holy crap, Batman! Awesome!!!! New pc arrives maybe next week..... NC

Well, I'm in the opposite situation: new PC is there, but I haven't ordered the VR headset yet
    So you tried the headset without any contact lenses ? How was the view ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Well, I'm in the opposite situation: new PC is there, but I haven't ordered the VR headset yet
    So you tried the headset without any contact lenses ? How was the view ?
    In my situation, the view, although quite nice, was somewhat blurry. My glasses frames are just too close to the VR lenses. I am concerned my glasses will scratch those lenses. So Monday, when I see the eye doc, I will tell her why I am getting contacts. Hopefully she'll know what to sugggest. NC

Ah ok, I understand now.
    And just our of curiosity, have you tried the headset without your glasses ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Ah ok, I understand now.
    And just our of curiosity, have you tried the headset without your glasses ?
    Yes. It is a little blurry. Text is not very clear; had to strain my eyes to read. Even though I only had the headset on for a few minutes, I ended up with a headache last night. My new pc should be here in a week. NC.

Update:

Received my new Pc this past Thursday. Spent the last two days installing sims and add-ons. Finally, last evening, I figured out how to get my Samsung Odyssey to work with Flyinside and P3D.

Holy crap, Batman! I have never EVER experienced anything like this, except being in a real life jet!

Well worth the cost. And the pc I bought was through Ibuypower. Outstanding customer service. Originally, I had called Cyberpower PC, but the customer sales service rep was a real jerk. His attitude indicated he didn't want to help me at all, so I do NOT recommend them. But Ibuypower? Yes!

Am a happy Navy Chief!

Blog Entries
    I saw something the other day about a new inexpensive Oculas Go headset for something like $250, if I remember correctly. These things are getting so inexpensive, it is hard to NOT try one.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Be careful, I believe the Occulus go is not made for 3D games, but more like streaming videos or something like that... I could be mistaken...

Navy Chef, congrats on your new hardware.
    Approaching a carrier with a Phantom, a Tomcat, or an old warbird like the Corsair, in a VR headset, must be quite something !
    I could only make a quick test with the default FSX Acceleration Mustang, and the view from the cockpit was unbelievable.
    I mean, I always flew from the virtual cockpit from the FS9 days, that's more than 15 years now. But with a VR headset ? It's like I never had a virtual cockpit in my planes ever before...

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I saw something the other day about a new inexpensive Oculas Go headset for something like $250, if I remember correctly. These things are getting so inexpensive, it is hard to NOT try one.

I believe the Oculus Go is basically the same as a Samsung Gear except dont need to put your phone in it.
    Its just for mobile apps and has no head tracking.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56