Thought about getting a VR headset, but..... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought about getting a VR headset, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    What games or Sims did you get to try VR with ?

For me at least the immersion is through the roof in VR, I find it hard to go back to flying or racing in a flat non VR world now.
    Although it definitely has its place in shooters, I'm currently having a lot of fun playing Fallout 4 VR. Race and Flight Sims is where it really shines.
    The sense of actually being in the cockpit is totally convincing. In fact I'v nearly fallen off my chair a few times now trying to lean on some bulkhead or whatever that wasn't really there while looking around in a new plane or car
    I avoid the 'Shooters' and such but I was able to get a run in Project Cars 2 and an 'early' release of the TT Isle of Man, along with one of the variations of DCS.
    It was interesting BUT: In car sim(s) I just did not get the vibration, G-forces, road impacts and 'seat of the bum' driving experience, which I can compare to RL driving aboard my Ford GT40 replica and a variety of Porsche 911 flavors, from straight up road cars through to a Carerra Cup hairy beast.
    A total 'meh' on the IOM, pretty much as for the cars but even worse if one has been riding bikes IRL.
    The Flight Sim experience probably comes out best, but I to me (just me, myself) it seems like trying to use a Warthog control package in Rise of Flight.
    Ergo, not high or not even on my priority list.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I avoid the 'Shooters' and such but I was able to get a run in Project Cars 2 and an 'early' release of the TT Isle of Man, along with one of the variations of DCS.
    It was interesting BUT: In car sim(s) I just did not get the vibration, G-forces, road impacts and 'seat of the bum' driving experience, which I can compare to RL driving aboard my Ford GT40 replica and a variety of Porsche 911 flavors, from straight up road cars through to a Carerra Cup hairy beast.
    A total 'meh' on the IOM, pretty much as for the cars but even worse if one has been riding bikes IRL.
    The Flight Sim experience probably comes out best, but I to me (just me, myself) it seems like trying to use a Warthog control package in Rise of Flight.
    Ergo, not high or not even on my priority list.
    Well your not going to get that on a monitor either, your going to need a full motion platform for that and thats mega bucks.

I havnt tried PCars 2 yet but in Asetto Corsa the biggest difference I notice besides the WOW I'm sitting in the car factor is that the cambers and elevations of the tracks feel right and I can judge distances far better then on a monitor.

In flight sims The whole distance and perspective thing has made a huge difference in my landings. Before I was always a bit of a heavy lander but in VR I can nail it pretty much all the time. Hedi in the A2A Cub dosnt bitch and moan and me any more
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    Well your not going to get that on a monitor either, your going to need a full motion platform for that and thats mega bucks.

I havnt tried PCars 2 yet but in Asetto Corsa the biggest difference I notice besides the WOW I'm sitting in the car factor is that the cambers and elevations of the tracks feel right and I can judge distances far better then on a monitor.

In flight sims The whole distance and perspective thing has made a huge difference in my landings. Before I was always a bit of a heavy lander but in VR I can nail it pretty much all the time. Hedi in the A2A Cub dosnt bitch and moan and me any more
    Actually I don't expect to get the VR effect on a monitor and I (just me, myself) don't need it.

Agreed, it probably handles the Flight Sim(s) experience better but I'm not that bothered as I tend to just kick the tyres and light the fires.
    And I own my own 'full motion platforms'.

Like I said, not for me, I prefer genuine 'reality.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

You left out the pitcure of your girlfriend who also happens to be a model. :-)

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    You left out the pitcure of your girlfriend who also happens to be a model. :-)

LouP
    Nah! My wife would perform really unpleasant medical procedures on me without using an anesthetic!

You had me at "GT40"! Nice/rare RC8, just test rode the Panigale V4, but can't part with my 1098 just yet. VR is probably on the horizon for me given a few models for DCS coming and even if I do find that RW airplane purchase in the next year or 2, can't see a fulltime sim replacement.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    You had me at "GT40"! Nice/rare RC8, just test rode the Panigale V4, but can't part with my 1098 just yet. VR is probably on the horizon for me given a few models for DCS coming and even if I do find that RW airplane purchase in the next year or 2, can't see a fulltime sim replacement.
    Thought about the X Diavel S? A bit more of a relaxed riding position but all the brute power Ducati's are known for and can still get the aggressive leaning you found on your 1098. I had a BMW K1300s prior and loved it for long trips, but the X Diavel will be my new long distance cruiser/bruiser.

I finally got my OR installed this weekend and am awaiting the next DCS update before giving her a try. I will also look at Fly Inside to see how it enhances FSX/P3D. I had initially considered leasing a plane a few years back, but there were quite a few here that spoke about some additional thoughts and costs to ponder before doing so. For those that have can indeed buy the real thing, my hats off to you.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

The AVX instruction set's been around since 2011, though, so most PCs that have the oomph to run P3D4 at a decent speed have a decent chance of having that chipset.

For Mixed Reality, just download and run this and it will tell you yea or nay. My 2011-era Core i7-3960X passes:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NZVL19N7CNC

(Man. Remember back in the 90s and early-2000-oughts when you had to upgrade your CPU every two years for flight sims?)

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    The AVX instruction set's been around since 2011, though, so most PCs that have the oomph to run P3D4 at a decent speed have a decent chance of having that chipset.

For Mixed Reality, just download and run this and it will tell you yea or nay. My 2011-era Core i7-3960X passes:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NZVL19N7CNC

(Man. Remember back in the 90s and early-2000-oughts when you had to upgrade your CPU every two years for flight sims?)
    Don't assume you have it. As I said, I was running a very robust 6 core i7 980x @ 4.2 ghz that was handling everything I was throwing at it but it did not have AVX. Another way to tell is to run CPUz, it lists out all the instruction sets on the chip. Also, I was running a Vive with no issues, this applies to Mixed Reality. My guess is that a Rift would have worked, too, but never ran one myself.

LouP

Keep your Duke!! The 1098 is the real deal and I wouldn't part with my 996.

Now several threads going on VR on other sim sites, but I like reading what others are running to enhance your home sim. My quest to replace my 17'' gaming laptop may go to the wayside as I didn't feel like lugging it during overseas travel. Searching online for a desktop to maximize the VR set up and bang for the $$$. After I purchased my TM Warthog, I realized I was serious about sims again, but not looking at any Level D full motion stuff.

@wombat666, on the hunt now for my collection of 90s superbikes. I've got my ZX-7RR, looking for a 996/8, RC-51, and the rare R7 (a guy here in AZ has one, doesn't return my calls!). @strykerpsg I test rode the Diavel during launch and ever since, I ride the fleet on Ducati sponsored demo days as I did with this last one, even got on the Hypermotard! I used mil sales to get a HD bagger, but sadly my wandering eyes look back over to the sexy Italian at times.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Blog Entries
    What's the difference between Virtual Reality and Mixed Reality, and can you use Mixed Reality for flight sim?

Ian

With Virtual Reality, you only see and interact with things that are in the virtual space (world).
    With Mixed Reality you see and interact with both the virtual space and reality.

One of the best forms of Mixed Reality I have see is with the (now defunct) CastAR platform.
    It allowed you to see VR objects as well as real objects (and people) at the same time via the use of their glasses and photo-reflective screens.

If it had been able to stay afloat CastAR would have been a HUGE game changer for simulators in general.
    Here is a CastAR demo using a simple flight sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HGrclGkIE

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    What's the difference between Virtual Reality and Mixed Reality, and can you use Mixed Reality for flight sim?

Ian
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Now several threads going on VR on other sim sites, but I like reading what others are running to enhance your home sim. My quest to replace my 17'' gaming laptop may go to the wayside as I didn't feel like lugging it during overseas travel. Searching online for a desktop to maximize the VR set up and bang for the $$$. After I purchased my TM Warthog, I realized I was serious about sims again, but not looking at any Level D full motion stuff.
    After retiring 2 years ago (01 April to be exact), I too had lumbered around a purpose built gaming laptop during my last few years of service. It was indeed nice and able to run VR, but it was a bit heavy to lug around on my various TDY's and post Army trips, so I went with a Surface Book for travel/work and bought a dedicated desktop (Area 51) to run VR. What I found is that while the original laptop could handle OR/Vive without issues, I then lost the additional monitor support and peripheries such as my HOTAS would have to be run through a USB extension. Doable, but not ideal. Out of the box, OR headset requires an HDMI port and ideally 3 USB 3.0 ports, though will work with 1 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0 ports. Even my current Area 51 struggles to maintain enough ports with HOTAS (2xUSB), rudder pedals (1xUSB), keyboard (1xUSB), mouse (1xUSB), headset (1xUSB), and Occulus Rift (3xUSB). As you can see, they stack up rather quickly. So, I offer you some new found advice since I just hooked it all up Saturday....buy a very robust desktop with lots of USB 2.0 and 3.0. They will definitely get eaten up rather quickly.

@wombat666, on the hunt now for my collection of 90s superbikes. I've got my ZX-7RR, looking for a 996/8, RC-51, and the rare R7 (a guy here in AZ has one, doesn't return my calls!). @strykerpsg I test rode the Diavel during launch and ever since, I ride the fleet on Ducati sponsored demo days as I did with this last one, even got on the Hypermotard! I used mil sales to get a HD bagger, but sadly my wandering eyes look back over to the sexy Italian at times.
    I also test rode the Diavel before I left for Korea...very nice but bought the X Diavel S last fall. A bit different ride with your feet forward but has no issues taking a 40 degree lean in a curve. I would argue the power band is more responsive too as are the ergonomics a bit more refined over the Diavel. I love the XDS, but girlfriend hates the very small patch of a seat, so now considering either an HD or BMW's new K1600 B, which has very rakish lines and the nicer comforts of touring for two. I will get another K1300s as I think it was done very nicely, good compromise of speed, handling and comfort. I so wish mil sales sold non-US made models too, unfortunately, HD is all they have.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    With Virtual Reality, you only see and interact with things that are in the virtual space (world).
    With Mixed Reality you see and interact with both the virtual space and reality.

One of the best forms of Mixed Reality I have see is with the (now defunct) CastAR platform.
    It allowed you to see VR objects as well as real objects (and people) at the same time via the use of their glasses and photo-reflective screens.

If it had been able to stay afloat CastAR would have been a HUGE game changer for simulators in general.
    Here is a CastAR demo using a simple flight sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HGrclGkIE

Thanks for the answer. Does that not make Mixed Reality a better option than VR?

Regards,
    Ian

Mixed Reality is Microsoft's name for vr. From what I read, the plan is to incorporate the real world into vr but at this point, there is no difference other than the name and sysrem requirements. The cameras on my Samsung Odyssey are used for tracking the wands which I don't even use while in the sim. I hooked up Leap Motion for that interaction. I am very happy with my Odyssey right now as the gauges are much easier to read vs. the Vive I returned. The setup for the Odyssey seemed a little more difficult but I went out and bought myself a new pc when I found out my cpu would not work.

LouP

Blog Entries
    Mixed Reality is Microsoft's name for vr. From what I read, the plan is to incorporate the real world into vr but at this point, there is no difference other than the name and sysrem requirements. The cameras on my Samsung Odyssey are used for tracking the wands which I don't even use while in the sim. I hooked up Leap Motion for that interaction. I am very happy with my Odyssey right now as the gauges are much easier to read vs. the Vive I returned. The setup for the Odyssey seemed a little more difficult but I went out and bought myself a new pc when I found out my cpu would not work.

LouP
    Thanks for that, so they are virtually the same!

Regards.
    Ian

Microsoft might be trying to associate the term with themselves for marketing purposes....but "Mixed Reality" (also "Augmented Reality") means exactly that.
    It's an experience where you see and interact with both virtual objects ("Virtual Reality") and real objects ("Reality") within the same space (i.e. a room, building or world).
    So, you could have a real space (a cockpit or room) where you can see and interact with virtual people or objects...or you could have a virtual space where you interact with real people and objects....and any other combination between the two.
    The best way I can think of to explain it is to think of it like the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", where you had real actors along with cartoon characters.

The CastAR system could have allowed people to create something akin to a Star Trek style "Holodeck". All that was needed was their glasses, some of their passive position sensors and a room with the walls, ceiling and floor painted with photo-reflective paint.
    It was some truly amazing tech.....and they were planning to have it retail for less than $400. Hopefully some other company will license it and bring it to market one day.

LouP
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

So if I'm about to pull the trigger on a desktop gaming machine runnig a GTX 1070, do I really need to worry about any fancy curved screens or 4K monitors if I plan on using VR? This machine will be 99% sim usage (P3D,DCS) and some productivity, I use my PS4 console for "shooters".
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

So if I'm about to pull the trigger on a desktop gaming machine runnig a GTX 1070, do I really need to worry about any fancy curved screens or 4K monitors if I plan on using VR? This machine will be 99% sim usage (P3D,DCS) and some productivity, I use my PS4 console for "shooters".
    I can no longer see my triple 27" curved Samsung displays (feels like a waste) when in vr which is most of the time now. I also can not see my 7 Saitek panels though I feel for the multipanel to use the gear lever, trim, and flaps. The three radio panels pretty much sit there looking pretty. I do use them when I fly "pancake" as someone in another forum said but that's not too often now. A good set of controls are still in order, even with Leap Motion but if that gets refined some more even the controls won't be needed but I think that's a ways off yet.

Hope that helps. Happy to share my experience transitioning to vr.

LouP

I don't have VR but intend getting into it at a future date so I cannot make any practical comments but ...

As far as controlling and playing with vc switches etc has anybody mentioned "Fly Inside"

https://flyinside-fsx.com/

Flyinside is a must have for Flightsim vr as far as I am concerned.

LouP

I tried the flyinside demo. It does have its good points but I found it rather clunky in use. I prefer the native implementation myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post

I tried the flyinside demo. It does have its good points but I found it rather clunky in use. I prefer the native implementation myself.
    The problem with the native VR is that you cant use popup windows like GPS or even the ATC where as you can with FlyInside.
    I also get much smoother framerates with FlyInside.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Yes, the interface is different but like everything else, you get accustomed to it. Plus you can import any program you want into the sim. I usually import little nav map and place it on the seat next to me or in my lap, just like a map. :-) Very cool!

LouP

Members who have read this thread: 0