Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018 - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018

Those numbers are for the color yellow (19, 13, 2, 1), you will need to change those numbers for the color of orange.

Aerosoft F-14 AB

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Those numbers are for the color yellow (19, 13, 2, 1), you will need to change those numbers for the color of orange.
    What would those numbers be? I don't have a color chart. I see you pointed out where to change the colors but not the actual colors needed.

I guess the key to determining the color is to use the Special effect tool bar.

Perhaps I need to set up Special Effect Toolbox in P3Dv3 but am not having much luck. Path issue that I cannot figure out.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...cts-quot-files

Or is that relevant?

Low Vis Paint

I'm doing a VFP 206 last crusader paintjob. Where is the fwd canopy/windscreen mapped to?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.jpg  
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

That I don't know about the special effects tool. Usually, you can check other AB effects to see what color is used and modify it to your liking. Even payware doesn't look so hot!

The Aerosoft Lightning T5 AB effects look to be the best with mod.

And P3Dv3 seems to change how stuff is done too. The best way is to model the AB effects and that's done by the modeler.

This probably the closest it's going to get for the AB tubes.

That I don't know about the special effects tool. Usually, you can check other AB effects to see what color is used and modify it to your liking. Even payware doesn't look so hot!
    And P3Dv3 seems to change how stuff is done too. The best way is to model the AB effects and that's done by the modeler.

This probably the closest it's going to get for the AB tubes.

If you don't mind would you let me know what those color numbers are and I would try it or is that a completly

different effect file?

I made some changes while I mixed the colors so it's different. Have you tried this?

Looks to be pretty good work by spokes2112. Nice flames!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1196425

I made some changes while I mixed the colors so it's different. Have you tried this?

Looks to be pretty good work by spokes2112. Nice flames!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1196425
    Are you referring to the file: ( SOH RF-8G Effect Contoller Fix.zip) ? #149?

or this video?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtv0ldtikf...41-36.mp4?dl=0

Yep, that's the one. Does looks to have the right colors plus a flame.

F8 AB internal file...

P3Dv3 only if used in FSX sprites are oversized thanks to LM goof.

Attachment 71490

EDIT: #149 doesn't work for me in P3Dv3.
    Last edited by TuFun; September 17th, 2019 at 17:38.

F8 AB internal file...

Attachment 71490

#149 contained a fix file and in the readme:
    A fix for the light contollers in the newly released SOH ALPHA RF-8G

Is that the one you say isn't working for you in P3D V3?

Now the now effect.txt file you've attached here, is that yet a newer one?

#203 also has fx_ALPHA_F8_AB.txt
    What is the fx name for the fx_ALPHA_F8_AB-2.txt?

F8 AB internal file...

Attachment 71490
    Actually I thought it looked pretty good in FSX, although I didn't get any rear flame with it. I've kinda got lost in all the effects posts here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB_recent.jpg  

F8 AB internal file...

Attachment 71490

Perhaps that's because this is a FSX Forum and that "fix" was meant for FSX. Just a guess here.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Actually I thought it looked pretty good in FSX, although I didn't get any rear flame with it. I've kinda got lost in all the effects posts here.
    That's the rub, in FSX it will look great, in P3D V3 not as good. Ted's original AB effect he did a few years ago looked outstanding.

This was taken in FSX a few years ago. The image is a little blurry. Had nice flame effect et al.

Apparently, this cannot be replicated for P3D V3.

Hi, gray eagle! The visual effect shown in your pic above looks good. That's basically what we started out with in our PM conversation last week. I have nothing new to add since I'm still running FSX. I tested a few A/B effects from other jets and finally went back to TuFun's original (at least I think it's his original) A/B effect. Glowing burner can, some fire, nice flame - I'm satisfied. Now I have to figure out the AlphaSim F-8 paint kit, it's been ages since I've used one.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Bet you never stood about 20 feet behind the JBDs on a carrier while a Phantom or Vigilante cranked em up for blastoff!
    I did. Hot, loud, and unforgettable. Also remember how LOUD the Intruders were. If one was unlucky enough to be in the hangar when a A-6 launched, and you didn't have earplugs.....stand by.... NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I did. Hot, loud, and unforgettable. Also remember how LOUD the Intruders were. If one was unlucky enough to be in the hangar when a A-6 launched, and you didn't have earplugs.....stand by.... NC
    Luckily, we had Tilly to stand behind also!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Hi, gray eagle! The visual effect shown in your pic above looks good. That's basically what we started out with in our PM conversation last week. I have nothing new to add since I'm still running FSX. I tested a few A/B effects from other jets and finally went back to TuFun's original (at least I think it's his original) A/B effect. Glowing burner can, some fire, nice flame - I'm satisfied. Now I have to figure out the AlphaSim F-8 paint kit, it's been ages since I've used one.
    That's good to hear glad it's working for you. I think Ted said something on the thread about how P3D V3 is kind of goofy with some of the FSX effects. He has tried and tried to convert that effect you use in FSX and it just will not convert to that effect for P3D V3 - I wonder if any P3D V4 users have tried the old AB effect and curious how it looks.

Ted tried to get a larger outer burn ring and in flight the outer ring will bank like the plane and will not lock into place. Kinda wonky.

Edit: I think that AB burner effect was from the old AS CF-105 for FSX and when I use that plane and it's effects, sparks/embers are expelled from the AB.
    Not so much P3D V3 perhaps V4 compatible
    Last edited by gray eagle; September 18th, 2019 at 08:46.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    #149 contained a fix file and in the readme:
    A fix for the light contollers in the newly released SOH ALPHA RF-8G

Is that the one you say isn't working for you in P3D V3?

Now the now effect.txt file you've attached here, is that yet a newer one?

#203 also has fx_ALPHA_F8_AB.txt
    What is the fx name for the fx_ALPHA_F8_AB-2.txt?
    I usually use step numbers when testing as not to lose previous changes. Just delete the -2 and rename the file from .txt to .fx, should be fx_ALPHA_AB.fx.

This effect is to test the flame in the AB tube to get the sprites from tilting and fix the sprite size. LM did a goof-up job on the effects for P3Dv3. No AB flame was added yet

I'll be adding an AB flame later just needed to fix issues in the tube for P3DV3. For FSX I will resize the sprites to match the tubes since P3Dv3 version increases the size of the sprites.

This will give a choice to use this one or use original version for FSX.

I'll be adding an AB flame later just needed to fix issues in the tube for P3DV3. For FSX I will resize the sprites to match the tubes since P3Dv3 version increases the size of the sprites.

This will give a choice to use this one or use original version for FSX.
    Thanks for the research and fixes. . I kinda guess that fx_ALPHA_F8_AB-2.txt would have to be renamed so I did and here are some screen shots of what that looks like on my machine:

This was taken when I paused the sim; when paused the blue flames are more noticeable and that plume on the tail end (cotton ball) is visible

This one is when I hit the prtscn and pasted it to paint. The burner animation is blurred - guess that's the way prtscn freezes the screen.
    Last edited by gray eagle; September 18th, 2019 at 12:42.

The first pic looks like the 1st stage AB and the second pic is the full AB. The 1st stage is not optimized for P3Dv3 (fx_ALPHA_EA6_Exh1).

Video with flame but did tweak it further than this example.

P3Dv3 only

The first pic looks like the 1st stage AB and the second pic is the full AB. The 1st stage is not optimized for P3Dv3 (fx_ALPHA_EA6_Exh1).

Video with flame but did tweak it further than this example.

P3Dv3 only

WOW! Amazing I like that AB flame and color. Looks all good to me.

Edit: Ted,

What was the stumbling block in getting that AB flame to protrude out the back like you did?

So this effect would be for P3D3 only, do you use P3D4, and would ab effects be easier to work with in P3D V4?

Are you using P3D V4 and would another AB effect have to be done for P3D4?

Anyways, I sure am glad to see your video tweak of the AB flame.

You da man!
    Last edited by gray eagle; September 18th, 2019 at 15:24.

Oops!

Clean up on tarmac 3!

Clean up on tarmac 3!
    It must have been that plane director he ate.
    Seriously, the A/B effect in your most recent video above looks great. The fire effect in the burner can especially. I hope you will make an equivalent file for use in FSX.

Seriously, the A/B effect in your most recent video above looks great. The fire effect in the burner can especially.
    I agree, Despite the setbacks and frustrations that P3D V3 imposed, I must say Ted, you have really raised the bar on this one.

Now it's really cooking pushing those hot gasses right out of the tube! Part 1 is done now to part 2 shaping the AB flame.

P3Dv3

Members who have read this thread: 62