Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018 - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018

Looks great!!! For your reference here is a pic of a VFP-63 Det 3 RF-8 on the cat aboard USS Midway in 1971. About as good a shot of the tail flame as you will see in daylight. It's brighter at night of course but not the white/blue hot flame of the newer jets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RF-8_cat_shot_FB.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Looks great!!! For your reference here is a pic of a VFP-63 Det 3 RF-8 on the cat aboard USS Midway in 1971. About as good a shot of the tail flame as you will see in daylight. It's brighter at night of course but not the white/blue hot flame of the newer jets.

+1 Looking good Ted.

Jerry,
    That's a nice shot of an F-8 in burner.

Soon after an F-8 launch, I remember seeing the JDB's smoking , and people with buckets of water dowsing those smoldering JBD's that were torched from the F-8's burner flames like in your picture. Was on wooden flight deck of 27C carrier when that happened

Last edited by gray eagle; September 20th, 2019 at 06:02.

F-8D f-8E Natops manual

For anyone interested, I posted a link for the F-8C/E Natops manual

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...83#post1197383

Just a quick look at the flame progress and 2 stages of the AB effects.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Just a quick look at the flame progress and 2 stages of the AB effects.

That's looking great

This demo looks like both 1st stage; no burner flame
    and 2nd stage; full burner flame.

I like the orange glow added to the burner. Looks more realistic.

The AB code used only has 2 stages the one is at Full AB and 2 is at Stage 3 or 4 hence a very tiny flame as shown. Should be coded for more stages for lower AB effects like Jafo's version. Lowest AB effects would have some blue may be at stage 1 and at stage 6 full AB. So basically it's missing the first 4 stages of AB effects. It is what it is.

It is what it is.
    Yes, and it's a shame the continuity of the effects were not passed on to P3D V3.

Jafto's version is only for FSX (He doesn't use P3D). The original nozzle size is too small for P3D V3. Fortunately, I made a cfg backup and will find and remove his pertinent effect files.
    Too bad that P3D V3 caused issues like this.

Yea the P3Dv3 [lights] section is pita for this type of FSX effects. Don't have P3Dv4 so don't know if it's any different. Adding n1, n2, n3, etc. would give the smoke gauge more stages.

Anyways I've added more goodies (animation) to the effects! When all the animation is set next will be resizing the flame somewhat. The weekend is here and will be on it Monday.

Blog Entries
    Hi all - been away for a while, so am a bit behind on all the 'burner edits. Given I'm on P3Dv4.5, I should wait for TuFun to do his edits, insofar as the visible burner in that sim? I know posting here on the P3D issues is not ideal, but just trying to track progress.

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    I'm doing a VFP 206 last crusader paintjob. Where is the fwd canopy/windscreen mapped to?
    Hi John, did you get an answer on this? I'm really looking forward to that particular paint scheme.

thanks again to Dean and all who are polishing / modding. It's much appreciated.

Kind regards,

dl

Looking at the F-100 with J-57 engine at full AB so timed the effects the same. Once I have both AB effects ready for P3Dv3, next will do the FSX version and upload it to the library.

Also, I received an email from an author this Saturday asked to do some graphic work for his novel so I accept the offer and will be tied up for a while. I'm amazed about the opportunity, this will be the fourth book I've done!

P3Dv3

Reference: F-100 AB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiGj6hBDjEM
    Last edited by TuFun; September 23rd, 2019 at 16:29.

Looking at the F-100 with J-57 engine at full AB so timed the effects the same. Once I have both AB effects ready for P3Dv3, next will do the FSX version and upload it to the library.
    The latest video (demo) looks fantastic.

Congrats on your new gig (graphic work)

Just so I understand, will you load the AB effect for P3DV3 to the library when its completed or
    when both (P3D V3/FSX) are completed?

If so, what category will I find it under; there is only a P3D V4 addon and nothing I see for P3D V3

Thanks

GE

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Just so I understand, will you load the AB effect for P3DV3 to the library when its done or
    when both (P3D V3/FSX)?

If so, what category will I find it at; there is only a P3D V4 addon and nothing I see for P3D V3

When its done (P3D V3.4) maybe a post here with a link would be a help in finding it. Or, just post a download link here like what was
    done with previous AB effects versions you did before,

Thanks

Butch
    LOoks like it will be under FSX Effects entries. I'll include both FSX and P3Dv3 AB effects in one package. All issue is fixed that I can see for P3Dv3 AB effects. I will check to see if it affects FSX and will fix it if needed.

LOoks like it will be under FSX Effects entries. I'll include both FSX and P3Dv3 AB effects in one package. All issue is fixed that I can see for P3Dv3 AB effects. I will check to see if it affects FSX and will fix it if needed.
    Sounds like a plan.

I'll keep an eye out for it then.

Again, congrats on your new gig (graphic work)

GE

Also, I received an email from an author this Saturday asked to do some graphic work for his novel so I accept the offer and will be tied up for a while. I'm amazed about the opportunity, this will be the fourth book I've done!

P3Dv3

Reference: F-100 AB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiGj6hBDjEM
    That was of course the real deal.

I snapped some stills from the Milviz F-100 AB action and as you can see in first two pics the double ring of fire effect then, as the camera pans directly behind the jet, the double yellow
    ring effect is gone. Don't know if this was for P3D sim.

As camera pans behind AB the rings of fire are melded into one.

This was one of your previous demos of a close up AB effect which reminds me a little of double ring in my 1st pic here.

I snapped some stills from the Milviz F-100 AB action and as you can see in first two pics the double ring of fire effect then, as the camera pans directly behind the jet, the double yellow
    ring effect is gone. Don't know if this was for P3D sim.
    P3Dv3 doesn't handle AB effects very well and those pics show it. Not even in Aerosoft F-14 redux. Best AB effects are rendered in the model like F-22. P3Dv4 may handle the AB effect better I don't know. Ask around the P3Dv4 forum. Adapting FSX jet models into P3Dv3/4 maybe not good practice.

P3Dv3 doesn't handle AB effects very well and those pics show it. Not even in Aerosoft F-14 redux. Best AB effects are rendered in the model like F-22. P3Dv4 may handle the AB effect better I don't know. Ask around the P3Dv4 forum. Adapting FSX jet models into P3Dv3/4 maybe not good practice.
    Well, what you have developed so far looks fine to me. I'm just waiting to adapt it to my F-8. Hope your not having second thoughts releasing it.

Have you tried it out in FSX yet?

Any idea on when you'll have it avail here?

No smoke entries or anything of significance in the lights section either.

In the F-35

[TurbineEngineData]
    fuel_flow_gain = 0.046 //Gain on fuel flow
    inlet_area = 6.000 //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area - Approximate from 3d model
    rated_N2_rpm = 16728 //RPM, second stage compressor rated value
    static_thrust = 28000 //Lbs, max rated static thrust at Sea Level - Should be 28,000 but was lowered due to excessive acceleration - Note, this combined with air file values produces a maximum thust (with A/B) of about 37500lbs (actual value should be 42,000+)
    afterburner_available = 3 //Afterburner stages available?
    afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.90 //Percent of throttle range where a/b begins
    reverser_available = 0 //Thrust reverser available?
    ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.80 //Thrust specific fuel consumption (Jets) Exact value should be 0.886 correct from wiki, adjusted after long range tests
    AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.82 //TSFC with afterburn/reheat engaged

It beats me where they are getting the effects from or use. I think the effects are baked into the MDL's.

I sure do like what you've done with improvements of the F8 AB effect and appreciate your efforts
    Last edited by gray eagle; September 24th, 2019 at 16:49.

The F-22 AB looks wonky - like an electric toaster.

The stock P3D V3 F-35 (Dino) is different and looks like same AB effect used in F-14 (Dino)
    I don't see anything there that would work.

Interesting nugget about smoke and AB effects

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...ooding.431183/

Well, what you have developed so far looks fine to me. I'm just waiting to adapt it to my F-8. Hope your not having second thoughts releasing it.
    It will be released. When... when it's ready.

Have you tried it out in FSX yet?
    Totally broken for now.

Any idea on when you'll have it avail here?
    Soon as the fix for FSX is done.

No smoke entries or anything of significance in the lights section either.
    None required.

In the F-35

[TurbineEngineData]
    fuel_flow_gain = 0.046 //Gain on fuel flow
    inlet_area = 6.000 //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area - Approximate from 3d model
    rated_N2_rpm = 16728 //RPM, second stage compressor rated value
    static_thrust = 28000 //Lbs, max rated static thrust at Sea Level - Should be 28,000 but was lowered due to excessive acceleration - Note, this combined with air file values produces a maximum thust (with A/B) of about 37500lbs (actual value should be 42,000+)
    afterburner_available = 3 //Afterburner stages available?
    afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.90 //Percent of throttle range where a/b begins
    reverser_available = 0 //Thrust reverser available?
    ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.80 //Thrust specific fuel consumption (Jets) Exact value should be 0.886 correct from wiki, adjusted after long range tests
    AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.82 //TSFC with afterburn/reheat engaged

It beats me where they are getting the effects from or use. I think the effects are baked into the MDL's.

I sure do like what you've done with improvements of the F8 AB effect and appreciate your efforts
    As for the F-35... part of the MDL it must.

The F-22 AB looks wonky - like an electric toaster.
    Not impressed either.

The stock P3D V3 F-35 (Dino) is different and looks like same AB effect used in F-14 (Dino)
    I don't see anything there that would work.
    Any of the latest P3Dv.X payware jets have AB effects that good? Hope so.

Interesting nugget about smoke and AB effects

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...ooding.431183/
    Have that bookmarked since working on the F-4 afterburners years ago. Multi ways of doing smoke effects.

Any of the latest P3Dv.X payware jets have AB effects that good? Hope so.
    I can only speak for Dino's creations (Mil Jets) w/AB effects. His AB effect in the F-14 and F-35

look identical. Only dif is one engine vs two. The F-35 is stock A/C for P3D V3.4
    Last edited by gray eagle; September 25th, 2019 at 04:52.

F-8 Crusader

Here was then, a new F-8 being tested at NATC Pax River Notice the short AB burst on takeoff at .

Besides the four 20MM, It looks like there were cameras on the side panels and nose. Notice the black gunpowder soot on the gun ports.

Last edited by gray eagle; September 25th, 2019 at 14:50.

Eyes of the fleet

Clip from movie 13 days. Dramatizes the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962

I wonder where they got those RF-8's? Hertz?

In the cold start scene on the runway - I didn't see a huffer, NC-5 (need AC/DC power) or any GSE startup equipment.

A lot of bouncing around in the cockpit too - do they buffet that much? Hollywood

This is a collection of videos from Air Wing 19, USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14), taken 1968 in the Tonkin Gulf. Visible land areas are North Vietnam, near Thanh Hoa and "the Hourglass." From collection of LCDR Dick Nelson, Fighter Squadron 194.

Still at 7:06 of above video

In the Meantime

Just a place holder till the fix comes out.

Last edited by gray eagle; September 26th, 2019 at 15:38.

Hello Ted (TUFUN)

Hello Ted,

I wanted to call your attention to a possible candidate for the AB flame for the F-8. It does look a little pale.

I borrowed some effects from here

https://www.fs2000.org/2018/04/02/fs...tlass-updated/

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    //smoke.0= -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_smoke_B47.fx <<< This one works and makes smoke.
    smoke.0 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_Bob_Both_smaller_blue
    smoke.1 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_crusaderF_TORCH_FLAM <<< This one makes the flame.
    smoke.2 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_EA6_Exh1
    smoke.3 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_F8_AB

I wonder if you could tweak the fx_crusaderF_TORCH_FLAM effect and make it darker or make it more noticeable?
    This addon is advertised to work in both FSX & P3D. I only use the two effect files from the cutlass that I comment on in red.

Now what confuses me, I thought you were all in on P3D V3 and did an adios to FSX. I ask that 'cause you wanted to make that AB project for the F-8 to work in FSX and
    if you are not using it how do you test it?

Anyway, wanted to see if you could do something with that fx_crusaderF_TORCH_FLAM effect?

Members who have read this thread: 62